• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8/17 Daily Sales number (Virtua Fighter CG = 2000+900)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I actually should have mentioned that in the dissapointment thread but I don't even know what the release date for it is in the US yet.

Socreges

Banned
Desperado said:
WTF ever happened to VF Quest? Vaporware?
Virtua Fighter Quest is Cyber Generation. Not what anyone was expecting.

I thought that, even if it's a bad game, the PS2 version would sell decently to the VF fanbase. Weird.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This game wasn't made for the Virtua Fighter fans, thats the problem. They wanted to draw in the kids to have a larger fanbase in the future. So they made Kingdom Hearts-Lite with a Virtua Fighter wrapping...and this was the result. This was a game for nobody, it missed both marks. Hardcore VF fans didn't want a dumbed down game, and I guess little kids didn't want to play it either.

Grizzlyjin said:
This game wasn't made for the Virtua Fighter fans, thats the problem. They wanted to draw in the kids to have a larger fanbase in the future.

Doesn't the series already have a rabid following in Japan? Christ Sega is really stupid these days.

AniHawk

Stores ordered about 6.4k for the GC version and 15k for the PS2 version. Guess they didn't think it was gonna be a big seller either.

GhaleonEB

G4life98 said:
I wonder what the geniuses at sega thought was going to happen when they revealed that shit.

Not what the rest of the world thought. It's like a lesson on how to alienate millions of hard-core, loyal fans in an instant. That was the moment Sega star really began to dim for me. I've loved them through thick and thin for fifteen years, but between this and all the other crap of the past year (Amazing Island, anyone?) I have to wonder if there was some stealth exodus of talent, not to mention judgement, lately.

Socreges

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
This game wasn't made for the Virtua Fighter fans, thats the problem. They wanted to draw in the kids to have a larger fanbase in the future. So they made Kingdom Hearts-Lite with a Virtua Fighter wrapping...and this was the result. This was a game for nobody, it missed both marks. Hardcore VF fans didn't want a dumbed down game, and I guess little kids didn't want to play it either.
That much is clear. But spin-offs such as this will generally still sell better by the name alone.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
FortNinety said:
Doesn't the series already have a rabid following in Japan? Christ Sega is really stupid these days.

Yeah, but apparently Sega was worried that the technical nature of the VF games was stopping new fans (mostly younger game players) from picking up the game. You saw a lot of 12 year olds playing VF1 and growing up with the series. But now I guess they are having a problem getting that group again. Looking at VF:CG, it seems like it was for kids even younger than that...

Cyber Generation was a mistake, now they need to brush themselves off and forget about it. Don't take out this failure out on the main series. PS2 version of Final Tuned would be something I would buy. :)

The Virtua Fighter series seems kinda trapped when it comes to expansion. You don't see many new people getting into the games because of how unforgiving it is. I'm actually one of the new players. I started playing with VF4 and just fell in love. And VF4: Evo just hooked me to the series, I'll follow the main series anywhere from here.

I mean none of my friends play VF. I'm no VF pro (not even close) but its very easy to take down someone who has never played the game before or hasn't practiced to a good degree. They just got frustrated and said the game sucked. Sadly some of my friends expect to be able to pull off amazing combos after only an hour of playing it. I just told them to pick Lei-Fei, that way they could at least look like they're doing something somewhat complex. I think this is the way a lot of people feel about the series. Its very complex and just a turn-off. I can understand that, some people don't have the time to learn a game like that. I have to go to tournaments to find any human competition. Thank god for the Kumite and Quest Modes, otherwise I would be bored to death with the game.

I kind of remember playing one of the early arcade Virtua Fighter games, but I was so young. I had no idea what I was doing, I was just impressed by 3D graphics. If only I would have known how great the game was, I would be a badass VF player now. :p

Sega just messed up again, they forgot the fans. I don't want them to die off, but they seem to make major mistakes at least twice a month. Outrun 2 is awesome, I guess that makes up for this. :(

Meier

I kinda enjoyed the combat at E3 :( Shame it did so poorly although it was and forever will be an entirely ponderous decision by Sega (the game itself).

Grizzlyjin

border said:
Why would you expect it to do well on the Cube? (Assuming that there is no "Link" secret character =P)

The character in Amazing Island looks like the kid in VF:CG. I'm sure that will boost sales.

Ill Saint

Amazing Island was developed by Ancient (Yuzo Koshiros team) if I remember right.

Are people forgetting that Virtua Fighter 4 Evo sold dismally in Japan, too?

GhaleonEB

Ill Saint said:
Amazing Island was developed by Ancient (Yuzo Koshiros team) no?

Are people forgetting that Virtua Fighter 4 Evo sold dismally in Japan, too?

If by 'sold dismally' you mean just over 100k at 6800 yen, then yes.

This one will stuggle to pass 20k, and likely cost way, way more to produce judging from the development time.

Ill Saint

If by 'sold dismally' you mean just over 100k at 6800 yen, then yes.

Seriously? Not that I remember the numbers, but I recall reading it initially sold very badly and hit the bargain bins within days. Not that I'd complain if indeed it wasn't the case...

Alcibiades

CVXFREAK said:
There's still the U.S. market. I see this actually doing somewhat well on the GC...

I don't, I'd consider 20k at $40 a monstrous out-of-nowhere success. Billy Hatcher had the look, art, and personality down. This looks very generic...

Azih

Guys Sega is stupid I thought we learned this by now

Sega
stupid

Sega
stupid.

See? It's not that hard.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ill Saint said:
Seriously? Not that I remember the numbers, but I recall reading it initially sold very badly and hit the bargain bins within days. Not that I'd complain if indeed it wasn't the case...

The fact that the home version sold poorly doesnt reflect on the ginormous amounts of money sega made with the arcade version of evo. Most people who play vf play it in the arcades, the home version is just for practicing.

snapty00

Banned
Sega really is stupid.

I know people say that a lot, and it almost gets to the point where it sounds like people are just kinda repeating something they heard from someone else, but it's true: Sega is stupid.

And some people will give some sarcastic remark about how you shouldn't call Sega stupid since those people calling Sega stupid supposedly couldn't do better. But I'm not so sure about that. Even people who haven't earned an MBA have some indication about what is going to be popular and what isn't before it's announced.

Ill Saint

sp0rsk said:
The fact that the home version sold poorly doesnt reflect on the ginormous amounts of money sega made with the arcade version of evo. Most people who play vf play it in the arcades, the home version is just for practicing.

Yes, I realise this, as I am one of those people you're talking about. But that doesn't have anything to do with the topic...

Wouldn't mind seeing some sales numbers for Evo.

You really have to wonder how the game could be that long in development before someone said this is really not going anywhere. I still buy the game, out of curiosity, but it boggles the mind that someone at some point must have thought, 'generic anime kids jacking into a 'matrix' in a near futuristic cityscape, that just screams VF'.

Grizzlyjin said:
The Virtua Fighter series seems kinda trapped when it comes to expansion. You don't see many new people getting into the games because of how unforgiving it is. I'm actually one of the new players. I started playing with VF4 and just fell in love. And VF4: Evo just hooked me to the series, I'll follow the main series anywhere from here.

I mean none of my friends play VF. I'm no VF pro (not even close) but its very easy to take down someone who has never played the game before or hasn't practiced to a good degree. They just got frustrated and said the game sucked. Sadly some of my friends expect to be able to pull off amazing combos after only an hour of playing it. I just told them to pick Lei-Fei, that way they could at least look like they're doing something somewhat complex. I think this is the way a lot of people feel about the series. Its very complex and just a turn-off. I can understand that, some people don't have the time to learn a game like that. I have to go to tournaments to find any human competition. Thank god for the Kumite and Quest Modes, otherwise I would be bored to death with the game.

In terms of newbie accessibility I think VF4 was a huge leap over VF3. But generally I take your point.

I think if Sega want to get people into the VF series then they need to look at how they approach the main series, in particular the home versions, not produce crappy kiddie spinoffs with tenuous connections.

I also think they need to stop listening so much to the hardcore expert players. As I think has been mentioned these guys don't really see the home package as a complete game in itself. It's merely an extension of the existing arcade game. Get them to give feedback on the character balance but when it comes to the home version, push them out of the picture and think of it with a console hat on.

Let's take the issue of online play. The big reason for leaving it out is that the lag will upset the frame by frame calculations. But I think that people would be willing to put up with that for a greater exposure to human players. By not working to that end I feel Sega are cutting a potentially appealing feature to a larger number of people in order to please a smaller number of nitpickers who probably only view the home version as secondary concern to the arcade one.

Eric-GCA

Banned
aw come on, wheres that "OMGWTF" Screen that was taken of VFCC when it was first revealed and everyone knew back then it would suck? :D

neo2046

Ill Saint said:
Does it actually suck?

Q: Does it actually suck?

A: If the game sells $19.99, and you treat it is a Cyber Ninja action game without VF brand , then the answer is NO

Top Bottom