• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Full Dev Build of Space Marine 2 Has Leaked Online

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
I can’t tell if you’re not liking the 12 hour game length or Hrk69 Hrk69 ’s post, but I wouldn’t wish a 40 hour Gears of War-style campaign on anyone.

That sounds exhaustively long for the type of experiences that these types of games offer.
But I don't get it

I'm assuming people buy games because they are fun to play. Why would more hours of fun be exhausting?

12 hour game

According to howlongtobeat, the average time for beating the first game's campaign was a little under 8 hours. Now if you try looking for all the servo-skulls in every mission, and play in the hardest difficulty - and Emperor protects you if you try going for the "no death during the first chapter" achievement - it's going to take at least twice as long. Add the replayability from doing it with friends, Operations, and (if you're so inclined) PvP, and you're probably going to get your money's worth.

But I don't get it

I'm assuming people buy games because they are fun to play. Why would more hours of fun be exhausting?
I'm not sure how you justify the length of a 40 hour Gears style game. The gameplay loop is typically suited for short bursts or a 10-12 hour campaign. 40 hours would be tedious for an action game like that.
A 12 hour campaign bolted on top of a focus on horde modes and PVP?.........I´m out. For some reason I always expected this to be mission based like the L4D games.
What's wrong with a 12 hour game? How did you ever cope when the games released on older systems were 6 levels and an hour long? The game being shorter is a massive plus for me. It also has multiplayer and horde stuff if you just want to kick ass. The first Space Marine game was better due to it's shorter length.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Looks like Darktide and Space Marine share a mission briefing screen.

WTix7pb.png

Vs

DUwY4yR.jpeg

I kinda like how across the two games they share this, it makes me feel like there very much the same universe... because well they are.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Plus, there are co-op missions and 6 vs 6 PvP. The campaign seems the right length to me.

It really depends on how those coop missions are, if they have story structure like World War Z where you have to go do an objective and then move on as part of a mission and story then great...

If there closer to the defence mode only from World War Z that's going to suck... I mean I wouldn't mind a wave defence mode on top, but it was my least fav part of World War Z... make it 6 player wave defence :) with guardsmen and summonable armor and emplacements.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

It really depends on how those coop missions are, if they have story structure like World War Z where you have to go do an objective and then move on as part of a mission and story then great...

If there closer to the defence mode only from World War Z that's going to suck... I mean I wouldn't mind a wave defence mode on top, but it was my least fav part of World War Z... make it 6 player wave defence :) with guardsmen and summonable armor and emplacements.
No coop isolated missions. Is coop the full campaign. Horde mode and pvp.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Looks like Darktide and Space Marine share a mission briefing screen.

WTix7pb.png

Vs

DUwY4yR.jpeg

I kinda like how across the two games they share this, it makes me feel like there very much the same universe... because well they are.
It would be great if they could also share the same quality when it comes to melee and gunplay, darktide is MEATY.

Last edited:
But I don't get it

Try playing Gears 5 to see why stretching out a Gears-style game is not the best idea.

Or if this is a better example, think of how it would feel to play a 40+ hour beat em up, like stretching out Streets of Rage or Final Fight.

Life Diff

Once you`ve grown your first pubes maybe you will understand that different tastes aren't automatically wrong if they don´t align with your own.
Whilst I appreciate the use of 'pubes' being a Brit, you are literally complaining about a 12 hour campaign with what seems like a decent selection of other modes. If that isn't good enough for a purchase then you need to lower your standards a bit.

Hudo

So it's gears of war?
If it's anything like the first Space Marine then I have to say no it is not. Space Marine 1 was deliberately designed to get you out of cover and aggressively push forward. The main thing how they did that was that you could heal with combat finishers. It was a pretty essential "twist" on the Gears of War formula that made the game feel different enough, imho. Gears of War (at least the old games; I haven't played any Gears game after 3) is far slower paced due to the player progressing from cover to cover. Or how Cliffy B called it: A vertical platformer.

Last edited:

Psychostar

No doubt that the way this leaked, it's likely from some scorned disgruntled employee lol. I've already got my copy pre-ordered and I don't plan on changing that, even if the game was released complete early. I haven't preordered a game in years as I've long learned that disappointment is sure to follow but I have fond memories of playing 'pass the controller' with the first game with my younger brother and plan on flying over to have a day 1 play together on release either way.

Neolombax

The first Space Marine game was my introduction into the Warhammer 40k series, a lot of good memories with the game. The PS3 didnt have a lot of 3rd person shooter games back then, bought it under the impression that it would fill that Gears of War gap for the PS3. Was pleasantly surprised that the Warhammer 40k universe had a lot of depth and lore.

BlackTron

Hopefully this doesn't negatively impact sales too much :/

This really sucks for all the Devs working on the game, looking forward to this myself.

Hopefully the game doesn't get spoiled before launch too.

If the game is meh it might hurt sales.

If the game is really good it could actually accelerate sales because it will build buzz and hype. Though you can never compare against a different universe where that didn't happen to the same title so it remains very opinionated theory lol

Fbh

Gold Member
Man that really sucks for the team. Specially since there are still a couple of months before the game comes out.

But I don't get it

Because in order to reach those 30+ hours that many people want, games often become less fun by having to stretch themselves thin with stuff like lower quality filler, locations and sequences that outstay their welcome and a sense of repetition since they don't really have the enemy, weapon, location and setpiece variety to remain fun for so long.

FFXVI is a good example. Somewhere in there there's a really cool 20 hours action game that's made boring by forcing you to play through a mediocre 40 hours "RPG" that often has you doing busywork and mandatory fetch quests before it allows you to play the next actually fun main mission.

Bartski

Gold Member
seriously fuck people who celebrate this type of disaster. I already bought the game and I hope it's a great success on release for the team

Mercador

I mean there won't be drivers for it yet, so graphics cards will naturally have more issues than it will at launch even outside of the fact it's a dev build.
Yeah, more so if it's almost one year old build but that might be simply PR spin. We'll have to see at release to be sure but I like what I saw on the video, feels like Gears with a Warhammer skin, that's the irony since Gears was clearly a copy of Warhammer 40K, whatever what CliffyB says.

Top Bottom