• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A History of the Mario Sprite

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Interesting seeing all the sprites together, but the author is obviously very bitter.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Hooray for Neogeoman. He took some good TGS and AMOA pics this year.

Hah, he included the InTV sprite; the best part of that game was how you could break the sound effects and have Mario sound like he was running forever if you screwed around on the ladders.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Not only bitter but he needs his eyes checked. I don't see how in the hell the GameBoy Mario (1993) is directly lifted from the SNES Mario (1991), the same goes for his comparison of DK '94 to the original 1981 version. The designs are similar but it's a complete redraw on both counts. He also has the Mario Shame's category all out of order.

The worst Mario ever is the purple one, it's vaguely similar but has that extra touch of awfulness. The orange one isn't even close to looking like Mario.
marios5.png

EDIT: I did appreciate the article and I enjoyed reading it!

jenov4 said:
:lol at the purple (gay?) Mario from the Atari 2600.

The wrecking crew mario looks nifty.

Wrecking Crew is maybe the most underrated Mario game ever in my book. I really hope the GBA version gets released here, but I know that's extremely doubtful.

FortNinety said:
Wrecking Crew is maybe the most underrated Mario game ever in my book.

I didn't even really think it was a Mario game...? I guess it is, looking back at it... I just thought the character was another Mario-esque dude.

And what's this about Wrecking Crew '98!?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I like the complete omission of the Paper Mario sprites by the author since he beleives it is made out of polygons: "like animation cels bent and warped like a polygone." YAY!

Saint Cornelius said:
I didn't even really think it was a Mario game...? I guess it is, looking back at it... I just thought the character was another Mario-esque dude.

Well you sort of are correct I suppose. Didn't Mario feature in a number of early NES games like Golf and they such? Or was that just for the game pak's cover?

Saint Cornelius said:

I think it was the last Super Famicom game released by Nintendo. I heard it's not that great, but I'd still love to play it.

And I just realized, no mention of Mario from Mario & Wario, another Super Fami only game that used the mouse!

FortNinety said:
Well you sort of are correct I suppose. Didn't Mario feature in a number of early NES games like Golf and they such? Or was that just for the game pak's cover?

Yeah, NES Golf had another Mario-esque guy. Mario sure is (was) busy!

FortNinety said:
I think it was the last Super Famicom game released by Nintendo. I heard it's not that great, but I'd still love to play it.

That's awesome. I wonder if hit had multiplayer action? That would be excellent!

This was in Nintendo Official Magazine in the UK a couple of months ago... in this EXACT format, as part of their Paper Mario coverage. The 2d history of Mario it was called or something...

edit: Nevermind it says it was in the issue at the top. I'm just blind.

Kon Tiki

Banned
031008s5.jpg

031008s3.jpg

The game also features some excellent two player action. One person can play as Mario and the other plays as Luigi and you race against each other to see who can score the most points. It's simple, but effective fun. There is also a level editor, so when you get sick of all 99 levels you can create your own. The editor is very basic, similar to the lode runner level editor. You can map any of the objects found in the game into the level, but you can't make any new types of objects. Still, there are a lot levels that anyone can imagine up, which makes the level editor a great addition.

Edit: Oops you said 98 :p

snapty00

Banned
Saint Cornelius said:

I've got it emulated. IT SUCKS. It's not Wrecking Crew at all. It's Puzzle Game #2123. I was blown away about how shitty it is. I figured, at worst, it'd be a remake of Wrecking Crew...but it's so much worse.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
radioheadrule83 said:
This was in Nintendo Official Magazine in the UK a couple of months ago... in this EXACT format, as part of their Paper Mario coverage. The 2d history of Mario it was called or something...

who ripped off who?

On the Website:
Neogeoman said:
(note: parts of this article appeared in Nintendo Official Magazine UK, Sept. '04 issue)

Forum Post:
As seen in NOM UK, but now with more detail, my history of Mario sprites!

I have the Wrecking Crew '98 cart, and it certainly does not suck. In fact, it rocks. It's just not much like the original game, so people looking for a direct update would be disappointed.

No I mean, you proved the dude in the original WC was Mario. I had forgotten all about that.

As far as WC '98 is concerned... strange! Is it split screen? Looks like I might have to "try it out". :D

cs060mk2

RevenantKioku said:
Interesting seeing all the sprites together, but the author is obviously very bitter.

Believe me this guy is bitter of many other things. Im scared by him and fear posting on his forums!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Finally, as pointed out in a forum post, the comparison of 1991's Super Mario World and 1993's Mario Land 2 was completely wrong, so I've removed it. The Mario's Shame section is accurate, none of those are out of order. And to back up my assertion that the Donkey Kong Mario of 1981 and 1994 are nearly identical, here's a comparison of the two, along with a super-imposed version highlighting the different pixels. Not counting the new black outline and the feet, the only changes are white eyes, a rounder hat, and maybe ten other changed pixels. I stand by my statements. =)

Did anyone else notice this?!?! GAF rules the web!

Top Bottom