• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A lot of in-car technology is unnecessary (JD Power survey)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Right now cars should be hovering so Tesla can shut up it's just annoying listening to them talk about batteries, if we don't have hover cars flying in clear paths than just shut up.

I am not big on the touch screens, but a large display for navigation is awesome. I also use the safety features on my Honda all the time as I am not a great driver. The blind spot indicators are particularly useful for me.

Mossybrew

Going from a 2009 model to a new 2024 was pretty interesting how much safety stuff is built in. Most of it I like, blind spot warnings, obviously the backup camera, the front-facing safety cam is useful, I mean 95% of the time I can see cars are braking ahead of me on the freeway but that alert might save your bacon if you are distracted at the wrong moment.

Esca

I like having a backup camera and camera in the front as well as a good size screen for GPS. The rest I don't give a cap about honestly. But those are useful

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I hate all the ambient lighting in modern cars. And I want to be able to switch between normal and adaptive cruise control.

Last edited:
There is a surge on the power grid in my country. As a result they have to use thicker cables to cope with the draw of electricity over the entire country.

Synthetic fuels can't come soon enough.

Ever since I watched Fifth Element, Demolition Man, and Judge Dredd as a young kid I just figured a bunch of random tech, buttons, and screens in cars were going to be the standard.

And eventually in the far, far future, each car would have almost 100 buttons like the Milennium Falcon.

ssringo

I have a 2018 Civic and I like the level of tech they used in that model. None of the auto on/off at stops, lane control or whatever. Just feels like a standard car with some nice features. I went to see about trading in for the newest version and found out Honda decided to do away with my favorite feature: Lane Watch. It's simply a camera on your passenger side mirror that is linked to the display on the middle panel and is turned on when you put your right turn signal on or press a button on your turn signal stick. Instead of turning my head to the side and shifting my range of vision I could just glance slightly down and to the right to see if I was clear. Plus I could turn it on and monitor the side if I'm trying to find an opening to change lanes. Now they have the blind spot system that flashes lights and beeps if you signal and someone is in the lane. Lame.

Needless to say I declined trading "up" and will be keeping my current Civic for the foreseeable future.

Mihos

Gold Member
I like the tech. I like being able to remote start my vehicle using my phone. I like the adaptive cruise control that adjusts my speed if some moron cuts me off. I like the hud that helps me keep my eyes on the road and warns me if I go over the speed limit. I like the adaptive headlights that automatically manages high beams on really dark roads. I also like the cooled seats that keep my back from sweating against the leather and keep my nards cool at the same time. It may not be necessary but I like it.

The cooled seat and airscrves are extra nice in a convertible

I had a rental car for two weeks. I can see this causing alarm fatigue and people just ignoring everything. It will be like those people with smoke alarm battery beeps not even hearing it anymore.

The would alarm when:
  • It thinks I am tired
  • The car in front of me moved a foot forward
  • When a car is too close
  • When the car in front is too far
  • When I am trying to change lanes

dave_d

Since we're talking car tech I just want to say I welcome self driving cars. I say that because from what I see of other drivers they don't want to drive anyway and so many of them are so terrible at it.(The number of basic tasks they can't do correctly is mind blowing to me. I can list them if anybody wants to see it, it will be long.) Admittedly I say this because then I hope there's a much harder drivers that would allow you to drive your own car. (Which would hopefully make driving more enjoyable.)

nkarafo

The touch screens is the most idiotic thing about modern cars. I thought driving is about having your eyes on the road. With physical buttons/switches/dials one can still have his eyes on the road while fiddling with them, especially if he got used to where everything is located. Most of the time a very fast glance is all you need. With touch screens this is impossible, no matter how experienced you are. You absolutely have to focus on the damn screen.

Doesn't help touch screens are always unreliable, sometimes a touch doesn't register, sometimes it lags, etc. You always have to focus on those screens to visually make sure your commands were registered properly.

They say you shouldn't use a smartphone while driving because it's dangerous, while shoving a big smartphone on the dashboard at the same time. I don't get it.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I prefer a touch screen. Go take a look at any Toyota and try to figure out what each of those physical buttons do. There can be 100 of them, and I wouldn't know what half of them do since they are not placed logically, and they only have the icon on them or next to them. At least in a Tesla and its touch screen you get context (placement, icon, text, menus, whatever) that what the button in the UI does.

And no, you are not touching the screen 99 % of the time you are driving because you don't need to. You actually drive the car. If you need to adjust any setting, you most likely do it while parked anyways.
Nah it should be like commercial pilots who have to get trained and certified on whatever plane they're flying. You should have to know what every button does and why you'd use it. Everyone who can't make the cut will just have to hail a JohnnyCab.
I had a rental car for two weeks. I can see this causing alarm fatigue and people just ignoring everything. It will be like those people with smoke alarm battery beeps not even hearing it anymore.
Q5UwFKx.png

Unknown?

All electronic junk that will leave you with a large repair bill or broken functions.

Give me the least features possible and something that lasts 30 years.

simpatico

Gold Member
My 2013 is creeping up on 200k. New cars are beyond unappealing to me because of all this junk. Very much considering a late 90s Volvo Wagon to daily and an early 90s Cadillac for the weekends. What could go wrong? Replace the stereos with a modern bluetooth system. Replace the factory speaks. Change out all the soft materials, gaskets, vacuum lines, seals. Good to go.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Mandatory:
  • Air Conditioning
  • Start in all weather
  • Physical door handles
  • Adjustable seat
  • Physical buttons for AC
  • ABS
  • ESP
  • Stalk Turn Signal Controls
  • Stalk Light Controls
  • All of the airbags
  • Decent Sound system

Nice to have:
  • Adjustable steering wheel
  • Heated/cool ventilated seats
  • Cruise Control
  • Apple car play/ Android auto
  • Traction Control
  • Backup Camera
  • Blind-spot monitoring
  • Auto-dimming mirrors
  • Autonomous emergency braking
  • USB ports

Gadget:
  • Electronic Parking Brake
  • Driving Modes
  • Active Noise Cancellation
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Automatic high beams
  • Lane-keeping assist
  • Emergency Assistance (no spying thank you) We all have a phone.
Unnecessary
  • Automatic Parking Assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Automatic Climate Control
  • Paddle Shifters
  • Head-up display
  • Multizone climate system
  • Auto Park

Nice to not have:
  • Digital cluster
  • Evasive steering
  • Sunroof (unless you live in a really dark and cold place, these are not worth it)
  • Power seat memory settings (it all great while the seat work but when it breaks down it's costly and you end up worse of)
  • Infotainment system (no you are not going to be better than Apple or Google, it's not going to happen)
  • Over the air updates (this is a car, this is not a software product)

Will avoid a car with that feature:
  • Smart Key Band (no i don't my car stolen thank you)
  • Keyless Entry
  • Onboard Wi-Fi Hotspot (No I don't want you to hack my car, thanks)

Last edited:
Top Bottom