• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new list to be angry about: 50 best shooters of all time

Prospero

link

The definition of what a "shooter" is seems to be pretty loose.

Code:
Robotron 
Space Invaders 
Defender 
Tempest 
Rez 
Star Wars 
Galaxian 
Gradius 
Ikaruga 
Asteroids 
R-Type 
Doom 
Centipede 
Missile Command 
Sinistar 
Star Force 
Tempest 2000 
Galaga 
Moon Cresta 
Llamatron 
Uridium 
Metal Slug 
Geometry Wars 
Scramble 
Afterburner 
Jet Pac 
Xevious 
Commando 
Radiant Silvergun 
Juno First 
Phoenix 
Bangai-O 
Drop Zone 
Vanguard 
Viewpoint 
Gunhed 
Gorf 
Delta 
Swiv 
Side Arms 
Thunderforce IV 
Battle Squadron 
Pulstar 
Mad Planets 
Encounter 
Einhander 
Matrix 
Gyruss 
Armalyte
Honourable mentions: DoDonPachi, Giga Wing, Astro Blaster, Tac/Scan, Space Duel, Time Pilot, Smash TV, Flying Shark, Mars Matrix, Asteroids on the VIC-20 by Simon Munnery and loads more.

Shompola

Banned
LOL Gaiares not in the list? It's definitely top ten material and IMO best shmup ever created.
Did they even touch the Megadrive lol...

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Why the fuck is Doom in the same list as Metal Slug, and why is it ten places higher?

There's such a concept as sub-genres.

DOOM is a classic but still it doesn't belong in this list at all.
And what the fuck is Ikaruga doing there? it's no 9 lol. The game is average with pretty graphics and somewhat epical music score.

I was goingt post this top ten list this past weekend but figured it had already been done. Oh well...

Yeah, lousy list. Rez being #5, +100 points. Gradius or Life Force being nowhere, -1,000 points.

Shompola

Banned
yah I saw thunderforce IV but it looks like they just took a shmup on Megadrive randomly and it happened to be that one. There are several very good to great shmups on Mega Drive and ThunderForce IV is IMO not in the top ten among Megadrive shmups, for example I preferred Thunderforce III.

XS+

Banned
Even in that botched up mix of genres, I don't see any Panzer Dragoon game on the list. BS.

8bit

Knows the Score
FortNinety said:
I was goingt post this top ten list this past weekend but figured it had already been done. Oh well...

Yeah, lousy list. Rez being #5, +100 points. Gradius or Life Force being nowhere, -1,000 points.

Err, Gradius is number 8.

Galaxian better than Galaga?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Putting Einhander anywhere on that list, and putting Dodonpachi only in the honorable mentions, not putting Gradus 5, Gunstar Heroes, R-Type Delta and Espgaluda there at all, tells me everything I need to know about that list. Half of those games are there only for the sentimental value, and are almost unplayable by todays quality standards.

Ah well, at least he recognized Rez.

Pug

Biggest cock up on that list is Radient Silvergun (29) it should (1) no questions asked. Some people have no taste I'll tell you.

Shompola

Banned
such turds like xevious and star force are also in the list lol. And then they go ignoring Aleste/MUSHA and Aero Blaster altogether eehh hehe.

Prospero

It's not too early to put Gradius V on that list. (I thought at first that there was a "one game per franchise" rule, but both Tempest and Tempest 2000 are there.)

Also, 1942 is about twenty spots too low, at least. And as much as I loved the original R-Type, R-Type Delta probably belongs higher on the list.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Shompola said:
such turds like xevious and star force are also in the list lol. And then they go ignoring Aleste/MUSHA and Aero Blaster altogether eehh hehe.

ehehekekeksd lolol rofl BACK THE FUCK OFF OF XEVIOUS

Well, they did get #1 right :D

and putting Gorf on the list. That damn thing was the biggest hack job ever. Hmmmm, let's steal 5 shooters and half ass them with the crappiest resolutions we can think of.

Sort of fun, but a direct carbon copy ripoff of the established games

ge-man

Wow, drohne hasn't shown up yet. I'm waiting for him to really tear up this list. That post will be worth reading. :)

Dragmire

I'd put Starfox 64 on there in the top ten. A best of list should have criteria like most influential or most fun. Not a hodge podge of both.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Rez doesn't belong anywhere near this list, and Ikaruga should not be so high above Radiant Silvergun.

IMO,

Vanguard should be #2. That game is easily one of my top 5 arcade games of any genre and it's wonderful music along with the unique gameplay. Sometimes you're fighting left to right, sometimes it's bottom to top, in both cases, it's glorious. :)

Space Duel should be a numbered game (Not honorable mention). Galaga is way too low and should be above Galaxian. And speaking of Galaxian, I'd put Garplus on that list before that. I'd also find a spot for Donkey Kong 3 on that list.

WarPig

I've ridden Mizuguchi's jock as hard as anyone, and Rez only deserves a top-five finish in Bizarro World. Pretty clear that these goons have never actually played Silvergun.

Ikaruga 20 SPOTS AHEAD OF SILVERGUN? Ikaruga shouldn't even be in a top-50, probably. God, what a bunch of twats.

DFS.

Shompola

Banned
D.Cowboys said:
Doom doesn't belong on the list. lol

More GAF comedy. Gotta Love it
Again, thanks for the laugh.

What is so funny? All but DOOM on the list are considered the classic genre of shmup. If you want to incorporate FPS then I guess Half Life or maybe Wolf3D would be better candidates than DOOM.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Shompola said:
What is so funny? All but DOOM on the list are considered the classic genre of shmup. If you want to incorporate FPS then I guess Half Life or maybe Wolf3D would be better candidates than DOOM.

Thats the point. All the games you mentioned should be on the list and then some. They are all shootem ups,some just in 3d.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Shompola said:

Doom was more important and definitely a much more important game in the genre of FPS than Half-Life or Wolf 3d. That being said, it certainly looks out of place on that list.

Thats the point. All the games you mentioned should be on the list and then some. They are all shootem ups,some just in 3d.

I disagree. Do you put Metal Slug in the same genre as Mario? How about Quake and Ultima Underworld? Or Morrowind and Doom? Just because a game shares 1 feature that is similar (i.e. shooting) doesn't mean it belongs in the same genre. The dynamics of an arcade shooter are very different from a FPS and require a completely different skill-set.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
7: Galaxian
18: Galaga

OK, this already gives me an indication that something is severely wrong with the list.

Naturally the list is not immune to the perpetual and unjusitified hype that Radiant Silvergun gets but I was hoping they'd at least have enough sense to not put that and Ikaruga in the same list.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jeez, no Gaires? That game owned my soul back in the day. And not even an honorable mention for M.U.S.H.A? Are they mad??

Edit: They do get points for including Vanguard, which blew me away oh so many eons ago.

Top Bottom