• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new list to be angry about: 50 best shooters of all time

WarPig

Why the fuck is Gorf even on the list? Fuck Gorf.

And give GunHED a kick up the list. The homing lasers still kick ass.

DFS.

WarPig

bob_arctor said:
Jeez, no Gaires? That game owned my soul back in the day. And not even an honorable mention for M.U.S.H.A? Are they mad??

Gaiares I can take or leave. If you want to give props to a Nihon Telenet game, there are better choices. However, you are correct in noting that this list lacks sufficient Compile love, and also sufficient Toaplan love. Toaplan was punk rock as fuck.

DFS.

We all know the real controversy here: WHERE THE BLOODY HELL IS R-TYPE DELTA??!! :mad :mad

Including the original Metal Slug over 2/X/3 also makes me weep.

WarPig

Original Slug has my favorite closing credits sequence. Other than that, yeah, there is pretty much only Slug 3.

DFS.

BuG

Drinky Crow said:
Gorf was a staple of C64 gaming, despite sucking. Like I said, these guys only really played shooters during the C64 era.
WayOfTheRodent is the lovechild of a few YakYak posters, and YakYak as a whole holds a heavy bias towards old-old-school games, which is evident in this list by the looks of things.

Grimlock

Lifeforce...nowhere on the frickin' list?!

Radiant Silvergun...twenty-fucking-ninth??!

624685Blowmymind.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Well, they did get #1 right
and putting Gorf on the list. That damn thing was the biggest hack job ever. Hmmmm, let's steal 5 shooters and half ass them with the crappiest resolutions we can think of.
Sort of fun, but a direct carbon copy ripoff of the established games"

but but but.... it had speech!

who can forget the classic :

"GRAHIFEAWIBFEIAWGNIGEGAEG-GORF-ASDGJASODGJWOEGNQ"

or the timeless

"ASDOQWFFFFFFGXCQZCZXH"

Missing presumed forgotten : Sanxion, Layer Section , Ray Crisis, Ray Storm, Internal Section (ESPECIALLY if this has any YakYak link - this game would send those guys into fits! trip city!), Harmful Park, Parodius, Tiger Heli, Darius Gaiden, 1943, Area 88, Ordyne,
Contra, Gunsmoke etc....

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lots of PC Engine games overlooked:

Gate Of Thunder (HOW can you miss that off!)
Super Star Soldier
Nexzr
Lords/Winds Of Thunder

Strange choice (and lack) of Amiga shooters:

Hybris was arguably better than it's sequel Battle Squadron, just didn't look as flash
Disposable Hero, Sidewinder and Apydia were rather good

Other missing games:

Layer Section
Gradius V (maybe that was too new for them)

Finally:

Putting Llamatron in is pointless when it's just a Robotron clone. Why not one of Minter's other shooters like Gridrunner instead?
If clones are allowed then Datastorm on the Amiga should be in there, arguably the finest Defender variant on anything, closely followed by Drop Zone on the C64.
Einhander should be nowhere near the list. Flash, but unbalanced and not that well structured.
And Radiant Silvergun should be above Ikaruga.

All in my opinion of course :)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
well, i agree that ikaruga is better than radiant silvergun. but that's about the extent of my agreement.

and rez is a brilliant game, but it's a very poor shooter. in fact i initially disliked it. i didn't really "get" the game until i tried playing it on acid. that made an impression. in an ideal world rez would come bundled with drugs.

DCharlie

.... especially as you can pick it up from 980 yen, although i wonder if the heroin will be of a lower quality that what i get from my regular guy? ;)

ah, i remember jetpac on my spectrum :D

wasnt it done by the guys who later become "Rare" on Nintendo ?

but a shooter?.. more.. hm. puzzle maybe. :)

DCharlie

"wasnt it done by the guys who later become "Rare" on Nintendo ? "

Ultimate : Play the Game - they eventually became rare.

I guess Jet Pac is a shooter/collect em up.

Top Bottom