• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A question about Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle

Laurent

After reading the thread about King Quest, Police Quest and Space Quest, I've downloaded one of my favorite classic games (and owned; I bought the game years ago, but I don't have access to it anymore), Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle. Could anyone tell me if there was a CD-ROM version of the game that featured voice acting audio for ALL the lines of Bernard, Laverne and Hoagie?! I have SOME audio voices included in my version, but I could have swear that I once heard an all-spoken version in the past...

Any clues?!

YES THERE WAS AND I STILL HAVE IT AND IT ROCKS......also seeing the VCR slow motion scene of DR. FRED opening the safebox and hearing the ISR guys speaking in slow motion is priceless.....the cd-rom version is really great, if you laugh with the text only version you will cry with the cd rom one.

Laurent

Bluemercury said:
YES THERE WAS AND I STILL HAVE IT AND IT ROCKS......also seeing the VCR slow motion scene of DR. FRED opening the safebox and hearing the ISR guys speaking in slow motion is priceless.....the cd-rom version is really great, if you laugh with the text only version you will cry with the cd rom one.
Yes... That part was particularly unfunny today, and I was wondering if I had a strong imagination, thinking of it being spoken slowly...

The ISR guys speaking in the third floor messing around with the papers is hilarious they seem like agent smiths or something, its really fun, i dont know if there's still any version of Day of the Tentacle cd version being done by Lucas, but if not, you can always check suprnova, but remember only if Lucas isnt still selling it :p

Laurent

Bluemercury said:
The ISR guys speaking in the third floor messing around with the papers is hilarious they seem like agent smiths or something, its really fun, i dont know if there's still any version of Day of the Tentacle cd version being done by Lucas, but if not, you can always check suprnova, but remember only if Lucas isnt still selling it :p
I will try to get my copy instead, thanks...

If you use Scumm VM (and you should), you can run a repacked version that's about 1/5 the size. There are utilities to convert your legitimate CD-ROM version into said packed version, as well! So don't pirate it! :)

tenchir

I have all those old lucasarts game on my PocketPC via ScummVM, I play whatever I feel like at the time whenever I am at school between breaks. So far there are MM I/II, Monkey Island 1/2/3/4(with audio ripped), Indiana Jones games, and Broken Sword 1/2 on my 512 MB SD card.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Have the game, I do... although I personally found the first Maniac Mansion to be a much better game, with the NES version being the best of all versions of Maniac Mansion.

DDayton

dog$ said:
Yeah, the version with highly edited content is clearly the best of all.

I prefer thinking of it as the one featuring characters who didn't appear to be constructed of Lego Brand Blocks (tm).

[Mutters under his breath.]

Besides, weren't there unedited versions as well? I know my cart has the "exploding hamster" at the very least, but I never heard about anything other than that being changed.

As for the voice acting, I've always thought Lucasarts dialogue was SO much better when written out than when spoken.

I'm a huge MM slut, and I prefer the NES version too ... the per-character soundtracks are awesome.

Someday, I need to get my Famicom version signed (it's different from the NES, came out like a year before hand, and has completely different graphics...)

Laurent

JackFrost2012 said:
If you use Scumm VM (and you should), you can run a repacked version that's about 1/5 the size. There are utilities to convert your legitimate CD-ROM version into said packed version, as well! So don't pirate it! :)
Of course I use SCUMM VM, I'm running the DOS version under Mac OS X. Why would I want a packed version? SCUMM VM can run any version at all...

As for the first Maniac Mansion, If you think that the NES character's version looked better, you haven't see the ENHANCED PC version, which has ripped the graphics from the Atari ST version. Check here to compare the different releases...

Maniac Mansion was surely fun, but you have to admit that the graphics from Day of the Tentacle were a new feature that added A LOT of fun to the game!

Meier

I've never heard it called Maniac Mansion II -- interesting. I always thought it was considered more of a spiritual sequal rather than an "official" one. Anyhow, yes there is a version on CD that came in a sort of Adventure Pack with Sam and Max Hit the Road and another game or two I can't recall (think one of them may have been The Dig). Unfortunately they're all at home in storage. :(

Kon Tiki

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
I'm a huge MM slut, and I prefer the NES version too ... the per-character soundtracks are awesome.

Someday, I need to get my Famicom version signed (it's different from the NES, came out like a year before hand, and has completely different graphics...)

Unedited also. Damn NOA. :p

Laurent

19.jpg

LucasArts Entertainment website said:
Classic Adventures
Loom® (January 1990, IBM, Amiga, Atari ST, Macintosh, PC CD-ROM, FM Towns, Super CD)
The Secret of Monkey Island® (October 1990, IBM, Amiga, Atari ST, Macintosh, PC CD-ROM, CDTV, Sega CD)
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge® (December 1991, IBM, Amiga, Color Macintosh)
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™ (June 1992, IBM, Amiga, Color Macintosh, PC CD-ROM)
Maniac Mansion® II: Day of the Tentacle (June 1993, IBM, PC CD-ROM, Mac CD-ROM)
Sam & Max Hit the Road (November 1993, IBM, PC CD-ROM, Mac CD-ROM)
http://www.lucasarts.com/20th/history_2.htm

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DavidDayton said:
Have the game, I do... although I personally found the first Maniac Mansion to be a much better game, with the NES version being the best of all versions of Maniac Mansion.

Oh man, I saw that post and I was actually impressed that you were posting something that didn't involve Nintendo...until I read it. Funny stuff.

I love DOTT, though. I still have my CD lying around here somewhere (same with all of my other Lucas adventures). Very enjoyable game.

DDayton

dark10x said:
Oh man, I saw that post and I was actually impressed that you were posting something that didn't involve Nintendo...until I read it. Funny stuff.

I love DOTT, though. I still have my CD lying around here somewhere (same with all of my other Lucas adventures). Very enjoyable game.

Oh, come on, not ALL my posts are about Nintendo...

There was that one, a few months back, discussing the merits of text adventures.

I need to play Zak McKracken, though... the "other" SCUMM game made about the same time as Maniac Mansion.

Top Bottom