• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A really dumb digital audio (optical/coax) connection question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachesis

I have always thought that when you connect optical/coax, you still need to input your analog audio inputs to your receiver at the same time, but right now, I'm confused - do I need both analog and digital connection connected to get digital audio, or just optical cable connection?

any clarification would be appreciated...

lachesis

Vlad

Yup, optical/coax only is all you need. It's the same as with video connections. In Video, you can either go with Composite, S-Video, or Component. All three of those carry the same picture through different plugs. Same goes for audio. The optical connection carries the same audio that the red/white analog plugs do, but it's a digital signal, so you can ignore the analog plugs altogether.

Dilbert

The only exception is that most DVD players which support digital audio (DVD-A, SACD) are intentionally "crippled" to only provide analog output. However, the analog outputs for these are NOT the cables you are thinking of -- it's a huge tangle of wires that would go to your receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom