• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A third party candidate is making big waves this election. And not for dumb stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

08fd-mcmullin-jumbo.jpg

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/who_is_evan_mcmullin_tied_with.html
Meet Evan McMullin, an independent republican that has a good shot at winning Utah. A traditional Republican stronghold

McMullin, 40, is a native of Provo, Utah. A graduate of Brigham Young University and The Wharton School of Business – the same school that Donald Trump graduated from – McMullin served as a Mormon missionary in Brazil. He went on to serve as a CIA agent in the Middle East, north Africa and southern Asia.

McMullin later worked for the Investment Banking Division for Goldman Sachs and as a senior advisor for the House Committee of Foreign Affairs. He later became chief policy director of the House Republican Conference.

In August, McMullin announced his candidacy for presidency, running as an independent in his first bid for elected office.

"In a year where Americans have lost faith in the candidates of both major parties, it's time for a generation of new leadership to step up. It's never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us," he said.

His platform includes repealing the Affordable Care Act, strengthening the U.S. military and lowering taxes. McMullin supports free trade agreements and creating a path to citizenship for those in the U.S. illegally.

His running mate is Mindy Finn, a former Twitter exec who served as director of digital programs for President George W. Bush and Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.
Johnson and Stein's support has been dropping but this dude has been growing.

It would be hilarious if the GOP loses Utah to a guy that would be a Standard issue GOP model.

McMullin has filled the void for mainstream National Review type Republicans who rebuked Trump, but also don't support Gary Johnson. Pretty sure Jonah Goldberg has endorsed him.

That's too conservative for most people here, but he would fill the role of a typical Republican candidate if Republicans didn't go absolutely insane over the last 18 months. He won't make any sizable impact, although FiveThirtyEight gave him like an 8% chance of winning or something, if the electoral college were somehow locked and it went to congress. He tallied higher than Johnson and Stein in that model.

Slayven

McMullin has filled the void for mainstream National Review type Republicans who rebuked Trump, but also don't support Gary Johnson. Pretty sure Jonah Goldberg has endorsed him.

That's too conservative for most people here, but he would fill the role of a typical Republican candidate if Republicans didn't go absolutely insane over the last 18 months.

Yeah standard issue GOP dude. He is from that Rubio, and Romney mold.

He's got connections, a wealthy father, and grew up in an era when many people were able to get decent paying jobs without college.

Did he ever release his GPA? I mean yeah some people can get in with connections and coast through education but to graduate from one of the top business schools in the country? He's either an idiot savant that's also somehow bad at business endeavors or... I don't even know.

He should have gotten in the game sooner. Then we wouldn't be I'm this mess. Seems like a Republican poster boy for American exceptionalism

I'm not a Republican and wouldn't vote for him. But at least I wouldn't be scared for the human race

Aesthet1c

The only state this guy will even make any kind of mark in is Utah and it's simply because he is a Mormon Republican.

That's pretty much all anyone here knows about him and they all love him.

Aesthet1c

Lowering taxes and growing the military to ensure the US can destroy the world 10 times over instead of 8 seems like a standard GOP destructive position with no apparent positives.

Yeah, this dude is really really big on war. It goes along the line of his party, but it's still gross.

Glix

Did he ever release his GPA? I mean yeah some people can get in with connections and coast through education but to graduate from one of the top business schools in the country? He's either an idiot savant that's also somehow bad at business endeavors or... I don't even know.

I mean, come on...

we all knew this dude in college. He paid ppl to do his work.

gaugebozo

When he wanted Obama's college records...projecting!

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
He's a warmonger who wants to repeal the ACA. I don't think so.

Also, here's a great family photo with McMullin.

paracas_skulls.jpeg

He's the one in the middle.

he is also dismayed that so called Reagan Republicans are okay with a candidate like Trump being a Russia stooge

Ronald Reagan and Dwight Eisenhower would be revolted by the current GOP nominee

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i dont understand why all these third party candidates dont build from the bottom and actually run from the bottom?

They aren't going to win as it is so whats the point? But they would have a legitimate shot, say they started at City Council then mayor then governor or senator then president.

Just wasting a shitload of money.

HTupolev

Nah is Hilary needed Utah she was already in deep shit. This just hurts Don Don
Plurality doesn't win the electoral college, absolute majority does. If an absolute majority doesn't happen, the choice goes to congress. Congress is republican.

Anything that isn't a win for Hillary hurts Hillary.

(Not that this is likely to matter.)

Slayven

i dont understand why all these third party candidates dont build from the bottom and actually run from the bottom?

They aren't going to win as it is so whats the point? But they would have a legitimate shot, say they started at City Council then mayor then governor or senator then president.

I been saying the same damn thing for months. They would have a lot more to work with if they didn't suddenly appear every 4 years to do jack shit

Plurality doesn't win the electoral college, absolute majority does. If an absolute majority doesn't happen, the choice goes to congress. Congress is republican.

Anything that isn't a win for Hillary hurts Hillary.

(Not that this is likely to matter.)

Utah is hard red state, and she already trending toward 320+ EVs

Johnson and Weld were governors.

Jill Stein is like a council member or something lol but hasn't gone higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom