• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A travel technology firm says airline passengers are willing to pay $99 in extra fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubricus

I paid extra for more leg room on my last Delta flight. I believe it was around $60.

Baggage fees are one of the most irksome aspects of the air travel experience to some travelers.

But travel technology company Sabre Corp. said this week that a survey it conducted showed that 80 percent of travelers bought extras on their last trip and spent an average of $62 on those extras. Those survey respondents also said they would spend more to improve their travel experience — up to $99, according to Sabre. Sabre makes software for airlines to manage flight reservations, revenue and other activities, processing billions of dollars of travel spending annually.

Sabre’s survey showed that the services travelers are willing to pay extra for varies depending on the region of the world.

North Americans and Europeans like preferred seating and extra leg room, for example.

Latin Americans prefer on-board wi-fi. Asia Pacific travelers are most interested in extra checked baggage.

Those in Africa are willing to pay extra for on-board food and beverage, and travelers in the Middle East like fast-track security.

Overall, the most desired extras were upgrades, on-board food and beverage, preferred seating and extra leg room. The next most popular extras were in-flight wi-fi and extra checked baggage.
http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/10/29/how-much-are-you-willing-to-pay-in-airline-fees-for-a-better-travel-experience/

Here's a list of extra fees from Delta.
Delta:

Ticketing Fees

Non-refundable ticket change fee: $200 (up to $450 on some international fares)
Same day change fee: $50
Reservation by phone or ticket office fee: $25-$35
Unaccompanied minor fee: $100

Baggage Fees

Carry on bag: Free
First checked bag fee: $25 ($0 to international destinations except Canada and Caribbean)
Second checked bag fee: $35 ($40-$100 for some international destinations)
Additional bags fee: $125 for third bag; $200 each for bags 4-10
Overweight bags: $90 for 51-70lbs; $175 for 71-100lbs
Oversize bags: $175-$300 (These fees may be higher or lower for some international destinations and are waived for some elite level frequent flyers, active military, American Express SkyMiles Cardmembers, etc).
In-cabin pet fee: $125

Frequent Flier Fees

"Last minute" ticketing: $0
In phone/in person ticketing: $25
Date/itinerary change: $150 (warning! no changes/cancelations are permitted within 72 hours of departure; all miles forfeited)
Redeposit Miles: $150 (no changes/cancelations are permitted within 72 hours of departure)
Same day change fee: $50

Other Fees

Seat Selection Fee: $9-$59 for "preferred seats" per segment.
Priority Boarding Fee: $10 per flight.
Name Change Fee: Not offered.
Other Fees: $9-$180 per segment for "Economy Comfort" seating.

In-cabin pet fee: $125- I didn't know you could take your snakes on a plane.

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/3801089/airline-baggage-fees-chart/

Slayven

well yeah everyone has a "bullshit" budget when dealing with bullshit. Like do I go to gamestop and pay an extra 5 dollars or wait 2 or 3 days have it shipped from amazon. Some times you pay the 5 dollars.

Gattsu25

Banned
Spirit Airlines lets you freely put one carry-on bag under the seat in front of you (like every other airline), but then charges you at least $40 for the second carry on bag that would go into overhead storage.

They also charge for water on the flight.

I'll never be flying with them again.

My view is pretty simple: I stick to airlines where the price on their listing is the price I end up paying. If your flights have hidden fees for services that every other airline in the country provides for free then fuck you and I'll take my business elsewhere.

Nevasleep

It allows them to offer a low price on adverts/comparisons sites, unfortunately.
I really don't enjoy flying budget airlines (like easyjet + Ryanair), its sad that the big carriers are doing it too now.

Its true about EUs selecting their seat, I know I do, window everytime.

It allows them to offer a low price on adverts/comparisons sites, unfortunately.
I really don't enjoy flying budget airlines (like easyjet + Ryanair), its sad that the big carriers are doing it too now.

Its true about EUs selecting their seat, I know I do, window everytime.
I also select my seats. But that stuff is free. Like hell if I'm paying extra for it.

Spirit Airlines lets you freely put one carry-on bag under the seat in front of you (like every other airline), but then charges you at least $40 for the second carry on bag that would go into overhead storage.

My view is pretty simple: I stick to airlines where the price on their listing is the price I end up paying. If your flights have hidden fees for services that every other airline in the country provides for free then fuck you and I'll take my business elsewhere.

That's fair enough but usually those airlines are cheaper in the first place. Just as I don't like to pay extra for water, I also don't like "paying" for a checked bag I don't want. You just have to work out what you need and find where you can get all that stuff for the cheapest price.

Jeels

One of the reasons I go with southwest if I can is the two free checked bags. :) No qualms with them otherwise, service has been on par.

Gattsu25

Banned
That's fair enough but usually those airlines are cheaper in the first place. Just as I don't like to pay extra for water, I also don't like "paying" for a checked bag I don't want. You just have to work out what you need and find where you can get all that stuff for the cheapest price.

Not when the hidden fees ended up bringing the total ticket cost to more than a comparable American Airlines flight (which doesn't have any hidden fees for me, what they have listed on the original listing is what I end up paying). Like I said, I will not be flying Spirit ever again. They lost my business.

I don't fly Frontier anymore for similar reasons. Their baggage prices make the total ticket cost non-competitive despite their listing price appearing to be. Seats of Frontier Airlines are also the least comfortable (compared to them being great just a few years ago) which doesn't help.
One of the reasons I go with southwest if I can is the two free checked bags. :) No qualms with them otherwise, service has been on par.

I used to fly Southwest all the time but they reduced the number of flights on my regular route and increased their prices :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh...weird. I never pay for this stuff, I guess I'm just willing to put up with almost any discomfort for 4-6 hours? And none of my international flights were ever too bad even at the base level

Huh...weird. I never pay for this stuff, I guess I'm just willing to put up with almost any discomfort for 4-6 hours? And none of my international flights were ever too bad even at the base level

The worrying downward trend has been the airlines are potentially starting to strip services they used to provide for free and are now charging extras for them

That is something I strongly dislike and you can already see it in the posts about about charging for water and im sure I have seen comparison pics regarding leg room and they really do cramp you up far more than they used to unless you pay for more expansive seating

Luckily long haul flights tend to be better about this stuff and tbh I can deal with a few hours of discomfort short term flight but it's that apathy towards it that lets them get away with it

MogCakes

I avoid paying extra fees at any opportunity. I might buy food at the airport so I can avoid paying exorbitant fees on the plane for a damn sandwich.

Wag

Does that mean I can bring my cat with my if I travel?

Probably, although I don't know why you'd want to.

Jet Blue for me, no extra fees (yet). Bought a round trip (non-stop) ticket from Boston to Fort Lauderdale for $200. Can't beat that.

Kas

Jet Blue for me, no extra fees (yet). Bought a round trip (non-stop) ticket from Boston to Fort Lauderdale for $200. Can't beat that.
If I move across country, I certainly don't trust my pet in the cargo bay

hermit7

I carried on mine when I moved cross country. Was the only practical way to get him here.

I wouldn't regularly travel with him though.

I think there is a difference between what people are willing to do and what they are forced to do.

My first "flight" with Spirit was the worst customer service experience I've had in my life. They boarded us all onto the plane, we say there for a half hour, they told us the flight was delayed and had us all get off the plane, then we sat at the gate for another hour waiting for someone to show up with updates. Finally fed up passengers went behind the ticket counter and started using the intercom to ask why there were no Spirit representatives around telling us what was going on, which resulted in airport security coming by and telling us we couldn't use the intercom. Afterwards we all got emails to our phones telling us the flight was cancelled. And the one guy manning the Spirit ticket counter wouldn't help anyone reschedule their flights, but just gave us all card with the support line so we could sit on hold for a couple hours and fail to reach any breathing human being who could help us out.

That taught me a valuable lesson: if the flight price on a price comparison site seems too good to be true, it is. There's no point trying to save money with a cheap ticket if the airline can't even provide the minimum service of, you know, flying you to your destination.

Economy plus is going to be the new shit everyone will be rolling out. Paying more for basically what you've already had a decade before.

I use a United MileagePlus card and try to fly United as much as possible so I get that free checked bag. I usually sorting for Economy Plus, if it's under $100. These sweet legs of mine need some relief, and if I can get an hour of work done or more on the flight (impossible in a tiny seat), it's more than paid for itself.

Otherwise I don't really upgrade anything.

I've tried Spirit a few times. I'm sure it would be fine for a business flight where I won't be somewhere but a day or two, but otherwise it almost always ends up being cheaper in the long run to just go with American or something.

Spirit's website also sucks really bad and they have no app in 2016, so good luck with getting anything changed or done using your smartphone. You can, however, talk to someone at the desk and get things done for a "small" fee of course.

Economy plus is going to be the new shit everyone will be rolling out. Paying more for basically what you've already had a decade before.

The one nice thing about this is that I don't have to camp the "good" legroom seats on long flights anymore. I'm not ponying up for the first class ticket, but I'm 6'5'' and can't do standard economy for 10 hours without some really good drugs.

Nope. Willing to fly shitty ass Spirit/Frontier Airlines to save as much money as possible, though if United or American flights are available for $10 - $20 more, I'll spring for 'em, because Spirit is just that shitty.

Those in Africa are willing to pay extra for on-board food and beverage, and travelers in the Middle East like fast-track security.

raw

The Lamp

Spirit is cheaper than damn near anything else. I've gone to South America with them for under $250 roundtrip. If you need to get somewhere in a hurry or on a budget with a backpack and you're not a needy passenger for snacks and refreshments on the plane, then it can be a good choice.

LuffyZoro

Not when the hidden fees ended up bringing the total ticket cost to more than a comparable American Airlines flight (which doesn't have any hidden fees for me, what they have listed on the original listing is what I end up paying). Like I said, I will not be flying Spirit ever again. They lost my business.

I don't fly Frontier anymore for similar reasons. Their baggage prices make the total ticket cost non-competitive despite their listing price appearing to be. Seats of Frontier Airlines are also the least comfortable (compared to them being great just a few years ago) which doesn't help.

I used to fly Southwest all the time but they reduced the number of flights on my regular route and increased their prices :(

Spirit bought Frontier, or the other way around. Regardless, you don't fly Spirit if you want to carry a lot of bags. They don't try to hide the fact that it costs more to bring stuff with you.

I understand water but for example people complain that Spirit charges for snacks and sodas on their flights.... Can't you get a soda or some cookies or something before you board? Even better, do you really need to eat a snack and can't hold yourself for 2-3 hours? I flew with Spirit on August and I probably saved around $80 dollars per ticket (3 tickets) each way vs JetBlue. That's a whopping $480 of savings without checked bags and even if I checked 1 bag per person I still saved $180. Whats the cost of a bit or leg room or some candies and soda? Yeah, Spirit rocks and I will fly with them as much as possible. I can deal without eating snacks for 2-3 hours.

Of course I'm going to pay for certain extra things. If I'm traveling across the country for extended amounts of time, I can't just not bring a checked bag. Also I booked through a travel agent this one time and I forgot to check if she did seat selection. I ended up getting bumped from the flight since they overbooked and I hadn't been assigned a seat yet. So yes I will pay that bullshit fee to ensure I won't be the first to get bumped.

I'm short so I've never needed extra leg room, but I'm sure for a lot of people that's an absolute must.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Those of you who say "Spirit is great you guys are dumb" are in for a special kind of frustration at some point. The horror stories about their service are 100% real.

My wife had to fly to Cali for a PT conference a few years back. A few people flew Spirit because they were super cheap. My wife splurged and did Delta. The Spirit flight had a connection in Phoenix. They arrived and the second flight was cancelled for some reason. Instead of helping them get flights out, giving them travel vouchers, etc., the customer service people said, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do." They had to rent a car and drive the rest of the way.

We've also known people who were flying home on Spirit and the airline cancelled their flight. Similar situation to the Phoenix people - customer service said sorry and left them out to dry.

I fly Southwest almost exclusively - we go to Disney 2-3 times a year from Indy and have had great experiences every single time (for the past 5-6 years). However, I pay for early bird check-in which is $15/ticket to make sure I get an A group boarding pass.

When I lived far from my family and had to fly back for visits I would send my clothes by UPS because it was cheaper than checking them on the airline. If you are traveling to see family I can't recommend this method enough.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Drink before getting on the plane so nothing bothers you / you don't end up spending more on extras.

I should post this great tip on Slickdeals!

When I lived far from my family and had to fly back for visits I would send my clothes by UPS because it was cheaper than checking them on the airline. If you are traveling to see family I can't recommend this method enough.
I work for FedEx so I can attest to this. Ship 2-3 days before flying and save some serious money. Your bags will be waiting for you at your family home when you get there and you will also save a lot of time on the airport.

The worst I experienced was Frontier. I can't remember the specifics, but I remember being surprised by how many extra fees there were. The only reason I flew it was because their ticket was, ostensibly, cheaper than the others Never flying them again.

I usually fly Delta, which I'm sure isn't the best, but typically gets the job done just fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom