• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Wonderful Life for PS2

jarrod

Banned
According to MagicBox...

- Marvelous Interactive will release a PS2 version of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life in Japan on November 11.

.... can a PSP port be far behind (Natsume hinted at a PS2/PSP connected HM last year)? How did Save the HomeLand do on PS2, I'm not sure if this game will be able to match the GC figures (300k-ish worldwide).

How...Games actually being ported from the GameCube to PS2 instead of the other way around. Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, Harvest Moon...It's good to see.

AniHawk

Mooreberg said:
MGS3 killer. ;-)

Haha.

ToyMachine228 said:
How...Games actually being ported from the GameCube to PS2 instead of the other way around. Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7, Harvest Moon...It's good to see.

Tales of Symphonia, Sonic Mega Collection, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball.

Memles

Dagon said:
So, they're going to port a handheld game to a home console? That's gotta be a first.

A Wonderful Life = GameCube

This is a little bit surprising, really...I would have expected them to simply port the game over to the PSP, rather than put it on the PS2 first.

Friends of Mineral Town sold 12k in July, so I'm guessing it might be close to breakin 200k. I've seen it and wanted to buy it many times, but I'm too cheap.

Solid

ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif

FoneBone

Dagon said:
So, they're going to port a handheld game to a home console? That's gotta be a first.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that there have been a few GBA-to-PS1 ports (all budget titles, I think).

jarrod

Banned
MaddenNFL64 said:
BTW, anyone know how HM: Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA did?
I think around 100k here and 100k in Japan (no idea about Europe). Pretty amazing by HM standards.

Dagon said:
What about FF Origins, Wario Ware GC, DQ Monsters 1+2, Pinobee or CT Special Forces 1-3?

But no, it's a GC port to PS2 (and probably PSP).

M3wThr33

Banned
I'm a little worried seeing AWL2 and a port to another console. I'm used to the entirely new game with each release.

Meier

Save the Homeland did sub 50k in the US.. I think even more like sub 40k. A Wonderful Life is the first successful game in the series here.

cvxfreak

Meier said:
Save the Homeland did sub 50k in the US.. I think even more like sub 40k. A Wonderful Life is the first successful game in the series here.

It seems Natsume will continue by releasing the For Girls version in the U.S., too. Apparently they might be calling it A Wonderful Life 2. I should definitely get Harvest Moon sometime.

M3wThr33

Banned
Yeah, I remember USA talks of AWL:FG, but giving it a 2 is stupid.
Of course, my girlfriend REALLY hates the choice of men in AWL:FG. The gnome guy, Rock the 8-year-old-kid and the greaser.

jarrod

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
I'm a little worried seeing AWL2 and a port to another console. I'm used to the entirely new game with each release.
Well, Back to Nature was an ugraded port of HM64... maybe we'll get the same on PS2/PSP? I think the next "new" Harvest Moon will be for DS though.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
JC10001 said:
Yup, and I expect the PS2 port of AWL to put up similar numbers here. 70K tops.

I don't know, Save the Homeland was a bad game, while A Wonderful Life is not.

Agent X

Dagon said:

I think Todd's Adventures in Slime World (developed by Epyx) was the first. Here's the original Atari Lynx version:

Slime-World1.gif
Slime-World2.gif

Here's the Sega Genesis version, which came out a little over a year later:

Todd's%20Adventures%20in%20Slime%20World%20(GS).gif

Funny thing--in doing the search to find these pictures, I just learned that there was an NEC PC Engine CD-ROM version of this game! It's rather interesting that a US-developed game for a US-developed handheld system (which was probably relatively obscure in Japan) was given a Japanese-only release on CD on a system that was mostly popular in Japan.

slimeworldcouv.jpg

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, despite the totally wacky cover artwork, this is in fact based on the Lynx game, as you can surely see if you click here (warning, very large image, which is why I didn't post it here).

I believe this is the first game designed originally for a handheld video game console to later make its way to a traditional video game console (not a personal computer). If we include personal computers, then I think some of the computer ports of Chip's Challenge (another Lynx game developed by Epyx) preceded Slime World on the Genesis, though I'm not really sure.

Gilatif

Oh....I was hoping we were FINALLY getting the long awaited PS2 version of the Christmas classic with Jimmy Stewart!

Top Bottom