• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abu Ghraib Prison Break: 500+ detainees & Senior Al-Qaeda members escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Good for the terrorists? Or good for the potential innocents that were being tortured?

How do you know they're all terrorists?

How do we know it's not like the rounding of communists in previous times? Or the rounding up of anyone anti-invasion or anti-government?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCN4497Fn0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://english.al-akhbar.com/node/14736

There is a muddle of people who are detained and though there are terrorists amongst those detained there are legit people who have done nothing but protest and be a headache.

How do you know they're all terrorists?

How do we know it's not like the rounding of communists in previous times? Or the rounding up of anyone anti-invasion or anti-government?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCN4497Fn0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://english.al-akhbar.com/node/14736

There is a muddle of people who are detained and though there are terrorists amongst those detained there are legit people who have done nothing but protest and be a headache.

Why do you think I worded it the way I did? Because there are terrorists in there, and there are innocents.

Those terrorists don't deserve to live. If only every suicide bombing they attempted resulted in 1 casualty...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I get the feeling that a lot of these former inmates probably hate the United States with a burning fucking passion.

Just a gut feeling.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Why do you think I worded it the way I did? Because there are terrorists in there, and there are innocents.

Those terrorists don't deserve to live. If only every suicide bombing they attempted resulted in 1 casualty...

You said potential innocent which is not the same as outright saying there are innocents.

BeerSnob

Good, I hope all the innocent people fleeing find a way to regain their lives and their hope.

Yeah, AQI isn't going to waste suicide bombers to free innocent people. They prefer to splatter innocents all over busy markets. This was an exfiltration mission designed to get mid level movers and shakers back in the game.

Steelrain

I get the feeling that a lot of these former inmates probably hate the United States with a burning fucking passion.

Just a gut feeling.
Well a lot of them were Al Queda members so it doesn't take a genius to figure out their feelings towards the US.

Anyway, I hope they meet the business end of a drone in the near future.

Suen

Just a gut feeling.
Most of them will be too busy going to Syria and killing Iraqis, the hate is stronger there. Some of AQ's most senior members in Iraq were in that prison and are now on the run.

I'm sure suicide bombers, gunmen with mortars and rocket-propelled grenades and men with explosive cars were there to release innocent people, absolutely. It's about as believable as U.S wanting to bring democracy to Iraq. Never mind that this will just lead to further suicide bombings across the country to aid in the progress of not only ethnically cleansing minorities but the majority as well. Just several hundreds of good men released according to some posters here. Now reverse the roles in this situation and most of middle east, and likely some of the posters here would condemn it and call it a vile terrorist act. Oh wait most didn't care or voice any criticism when Saddam imprisoned Kurds and Shia Arabs nor do they care when new mass graves are still being found. Surprising? Not in the least. Gotta keep those fake-arab shia persians down till a proper Salafist caliphate is set up.

Anyone who think these guys are there to release innocents (great way to do it by the way, I'm sure it will set a good example for the society) is absolutely deluded considering the same men who assaulted the prison like to set off a bomb or send a suicide bomber now and then in Sunni-dominated areas. It happens in one of those odd days when they want to give Shia and Iraqi minorities a rest before they resume the massacre of them again.

Shoot at sight. You can't talk with these animals, they are made to hate your very existance so either you take down one or you have them take down 60 or something with them.

numble

Just a gut feeling.
I dunno, stacking them in naked pyramids and electrocuting their testicles usually makes them love America.

Most of them will be too busy going to Syria and killing Iraqis, the hate is stronger there. Some of AQ's most senior members in Iraq were in that prison and are now on the run.

I'm sure suicide bombers, gunmen with mortars and rocket-propelled grenades and men with explosive cars were there to release innocent people, absolutely. It's about as believable as U.S wanting to bring democracy to Iraq. Never mind that this will just lead to further suicide bombings across the country to aid in the progress of not only ethnically cleansing minorities but the majority as well. Just several hundreds of good men released according to some posters here. Now reverse the roles in this situation and most of middle east, and likely some of the posters here would condemn it and call it a vile terrorist act. Oh wait most didn't care or voice any criticism when Saddam imprisoned Kurds and Shia Arabs nor do they care when new mass graves are still being found. Surprising? Not in the least. Gotta keep those fake-arab shia persians down till a proper Salafist caliphate is set up.

Anyone who think these guys are there to release innocents (great way to do it by the way, I'm sure it will set a good example for the society) is absolutely deluded considering the same men who assaulted the prison like to set off a bomb or send a suicide bomber now and then in Sunni-dominated areas. It happens in one of those odd days when they want to give Shia and Iraqi minorities a rest before they resume the massacre of them again.

Shoot at sight. You can't talk with these animals, they are made to hate your very existance so either you take down one or you have them take down 60 or something with them.

This is my thought. There are several other prisons that they have. Abu Ghraib isn't one to put small timers.

Suen

This is my thought. There are several other prisons that they have. Abu Ghraib isn't one to put small timers.
Often not no and if you had only done some small harmless crime you would have likely been able to bribe yourself out before even reaching that prison. Not to say there isn't a chance of any innocent there (there likely is). If you go to that prison then it's often for very extreme reasons.

liger05

It doesn't matter if someone is guilty or an innocent. Torture isn't acceptable and hopefully we see some real detailed revelations now on what the Iraqi prison forces were doing to people inside those dungeons.

The Maliki government have been arresting protesters for months. They don't like the Sunni protests and the leaders who were mobilising people to protest against Maliki.

ISIS are saying next stop is Syrian Prisons. No doubt the people inside those are suffering the worst torture from Assad's security forces.

akira28

Yeah, AQI isn't going to waste suicide bombers to free innocent people. They prefer to splatter innocents all over busy markets. This was an exfiltration mission designed to get mid level movers and shakers back in the game.

Hopefully with enough guys that we've turned to report on their movements.

Tesseract

Banned

cosmic ether, this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anyone who think these guys are there to release innocents (great way to do it by the way, I'm sure it will set a good example for the society) is absolutely deluded considering the same men who assaulted the prison like to set off a bomb or send a suicide bomber now and then in Sunni-dominated areas.

That wasn't what I was implying in case you were replying to me specifically!

RK9039

Oh, this is the prison where American soldiers were posing with tortured/naked inmates?

Good luck. That's not a good incident.

Codeblue

What's funny is guys like Dick Cheney who say that if they had the chance, they'd do it again.

Do these guys realize they exported terrorism to Iraq? Now instead of a barking (though powerless) dictator, there's a corrupted regime and rampant terrorism. It has become a regional hotbed for terrorists.

Guys like Cheney should really be tried and deserve to spend what's left of their life in jail. And not even because of that useless war, but because of all the harm they inflicted on their own country.

It really is too bad the monsters who facilitated this won't spend a single day in jail.

liger05

that is highly impressive

ISIS statement today claiming responibility.

Says 100s of prisoners freed including 500+ ISIS. 12 car bombs employed in both operations - entitled 'Battle of Conquering the Tyrants'

Claim the Hawija massacre in Kirkuk in Mid May as a key influence for why they decided to do this operation.

Orrichio

I thought this was going to be a new spin on the show Prison Break like Abu Gharaib edition. I was sorely mistaken. Jesus on a spinning cross this is a thing.

Kiraly

Abu Ghraib is not in American hands any more is it?

So sad for the country and citizens, I'm sure this will bring a lot of good to the country ..

we can track them down in syria, when we are giving weapons to them.

And the Church said, GODDAMN!!
pastor-flying-gif.gif

Roland1979

A head on every pike. And beating for every woman. Just the way God intended.

What are you talking about? Besides the argument of getting at their level, it is a fact that there are innocent people there. Terrorist should be trialed, not tortured. Innocent should be freed.

What are you talking about? Besides the argument of getting at their level, it is a fact that there are innocent people there. Terrorist should be trialed, not tortured. Innocent should be freed.

You're exactly right, but it's still terrible that these AQ members got out. They shouldn't be free men.

Roland1979

You're exactly right, but it's still terrible that these AQ members got out. They shouldn't be free men.

Would they ever be trialed is the question. Those types of prisons violate the Geneva convention treaty. And since they do not get trialed it cannot be proven that they are guilty. So therefore they are innocent (accept a large part is not), until proven otherwise. It is quite a headache, political wise.

F#A#Oo

Banned

You should actually inform yourself more.

It was reported that places like Abu Ghraib by Red Cross that between 70%-90% of people arrested and detained have and were arrested by mistake and most were arrested because no one wanted to take a chance to do proper assessments and later find people slipping through the net who are legit terrorists.

Since the Abu Ghraib fiasco hundreds of people have been released...but thousands remain in detention without trial most of those affected by the Abu Ghraib incidents were moved along to Camp Bucca and other prisons...the practice of arresting and detaining still goes on today. I linked earlier links to protests that took place this year in Iraq, the situation is no better now than it was in 2004 when the media first started reporting this stuff.

These attacks on prisons have been going on for years because frankly people are angry, sad and disillusioned by how things are being dealt with over where when fathers, brothers, sons, daughters and mothers are being held in detention with non-existent reasons to hold them other than being labelled "suspected terrorists"...and you have to be in absolute la-la-land if you believe that Iraq's prisons house thousands of Al-Qaeda members and terrorists. Al-Qaeda would be proud.

casmith07

Prisons were turned over to Iraq in 2010...so even if they're mad at the US, they've got a lot of close targets to direct anger.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
They should have implanted them with GPS trackers of some sort (assuming such things exist outside the realm of film) just for this sort of occasion. The actual terrorists would lead the military right back to their bases, and a drone would follow shortly thereafter.

liger05

Foud this from another forum (ummah forum) this is what they used to do to the prisoners.

A message from one of the victim which is translated through translator from Eng to Arabic.

1.We were forced to Drink urine of the Shia guards and kiss their shoes
2.We would hear screams of agony of the Mujahdeen being severely tortured of the torture was having their finger nails and toe nails ripped off, as for me i had my toe nails ripped off.
3.We Ahlul sunnah are facing an extermination from the Shias esp the Shias of Iran and they made this clear to us that they will do that , but we Ahlul sunnah promise that this will never happen and we will break them.
4.We had so many iranian Shia Guards who their prime duty was torture but it didnt just finish with torture they would curse the sahaba and slander the honor of Aisha ra and would speak filthy language in regards to what they would do to my wife, mother , sister and daughter, words no man will handle.
5.By Allah we would sit on an iron plated chair in the summer heat chained up and have them urinate at us
6.They would pluck the beard and mustache of ours and will force us to drink boiling water in the Summer heat .
7.Once an Iranian shia guard asked us do you love Ali bin abi taleb we would answer yes offcourse we love him no muslim can hate him, he would not believe us and he would belt us till we lost consciousness .
8.Half the time i was tortured only because of my name , being Abu Bakr and he would curse and insult the Great sahaba Abu Bakr ra.
9.Once this Iranian Shia Guard asked me why did Abu Bakr steal the khilafa from Ali , i would say no he never did steal it and when i kept silent he still kept beating me , till he urinated in a cup and forced me to drink it
10.They would force us to curse slander the sahaba and Aisha ra, one brother refused to curse them and slander the honor of Aisha ra, they killed him and handed in his body to his family .
11.They would force us to say that Sistani khumaynee shoes were better than the sahaba and if we refused we would be killed right on the spot.
12.The would step on my back and say to me this is punishment for you for having that name -Abu Bakr
13.In ramadan they would pile us ontop of each other and were not allowed to drink water and if we complained we were threatened by the dogs .
14.They would beat us up for no reason , if a shia got locked up in Saudi we would get an extra beating if in Syria the FSA was killing the Assad regime and gaining ground we would get punished for that.
15.When the Shia cleric nemr nemr was arrested they beated us so hard as if we were the reason for his arrest even though i never heard of him before.
16.Worse punishment was when the FSA got hold of The Assad compound and killed so many of the top officials by Allah we did not know what sleep was, we got the worse punishment it was day and night we screamed our lungs out the pain was so unbearable 17.If the Iraqi soccer team won we got belted
18.ive been here for 4 years and i can tell you they are the worse years of my life i am journalist and that was my crime for telling the truth.
19.they would experiment on us they would randomly give us blood tests and make us take all sorts of medication .
20.the biggest challenge for us is when we wanted to pray they will deliberately play shia chants and have it on loudspeakers so we would not concentrate in our salah .
21.there was a young man called mawiyah who was in the best of health when he came in he got punished the most only because of his name, now he is fully paralyzed .
22.They would forces us to hit each other and most of the time we refused they would belt us and when we would hit each other just to shut them up they knew we were not meaning it, so we would all get punished.

Its a great thing that so many prisoners managed to escape from treatment like this.

Foud this from another forum (ummah forum) this is what they used to do to the prisoners.

A message from one of the victim which is translated through translator from Eng to Arabic.

Its a great thing that so many prisoners managed to escape from treatment like this.

Smells BS to me. Like a fanfic of a crazed warmongering idiot.

HOLY SHIIII! Why is this not the headline news everywhere? WHOA! Here's hoping those AQ folks get captured again... and quickly.

Suen

Al Qaeda claimed responsibility on Tuesday for simultaneous raids on two Iraqi prisons and said more than 500 inmates had been set free in the operation, one of its most brazen in Iraq.

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, formed earlier this year through a merger of al Qaeda's affiliates in Syria and Iraq, said it had stormed Baghdad's Abu Ghraib jail and another, some 20 km (12 miles) north of capital, after months of preparation.

Monday's attacks came exactly a year after the leader of al Qaeda's Iraqi branch, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, launched a "Breaking the Walls" campaign that made freeing its imprisoned members a top priority, the group said in a statement.

Sunni Islamist militants have in recent months been regaining momentum in their insurgency against Iraq's Shi'ite-led government, which came to power after the U.S. invasion to oust Saddam Hussein.

The group said it had deployed suicide attackers, rockets, and 12 car bombs, killing 120 Iraqi guards and SWAT forces in the attacks in Taji, north of Baghdad, and Abu Ghraib, the prison made notorious a decade ago by photographs showing abuse of prisoners by U.S. soldiers.

Interior ministry and medical sources said 29 police and soldiers were killed, and 36 wounded.

"In response to the call of the mujahid (holy warrior) Sheikh Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to seal the blessed plan of 'Breaking the Walls' ... the mujahideen brigades set off after months of preparation and planning to target two of the biggest prisons of the Safavid government," read the statement posted on militant forums.

Safavid is a reference to the dynasty that ruled Iran from the 16th to 18th centuries and is used by hardline Sunnis as a derogatory term for Shi'ite Muslims.

Shi'ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki accused militias affiliated with his rival, the anti-U.S. cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, who is also Shi'ite, of complicity in the prison-break.

"What happened in Abu Ghraib prison was the guards who were inside the prison, are connected to these militias, and it was they who colluded and it was they who opened the doors," he said on state television.

SYRIA-BOUND

Sectarian tensions across the region have been inflamed by the civil war in Syria, which has drawn in Shi'ite and Sunni fighters from Iraq and beyond to fight against each other.

A senior Iraqi security official said security forces were on high alert and had received information that some of the most high-profile al Qaeda operatives who managed to escape were now on their way to Syria.

Iraq has tightened border controls to prevent them leaving the country, said the official on condition of anonymity: "We are cooperating with the Ministry of Justice to get full descriptions and records of the fugitives to help recapture them and bring them back to prison".

The official added that the level of coordination of the prison raids suggested former military officers had been involved in planning, if not executing them.

Jail-breaks are not unusual in Iraq, but the scale of Monday's assaults prompted some politicians to say that the government had lost any semblance of control over security, which has been steadily deteriorating since late last year.

Twin roadside bombs planted near two Sunni mosques in the ethnically mixed city of Kirkuk killed seven people late on Tuesday, police said.

A further four people were killed when two roadside bombs exploded outside a Sunni mosque in Baghdad's southern district of Doura as worshippers were leaving after evening prayers, police said. It was not clear who was behind the attacks.

Insurgents have been regrouping and striking on an almost daily basis, drawing new recruits from the country's Sunni minority, which increasingly resents Shi'ite domination since Saddam's overthrow.

The violence has raised fears of a return to full-blown conflict in Iraq, where ethnic Kurds, Shi'ites and Sunnis have yet to find a stable way of sharing power.

So far in July, almost 700 people have been killed in militant attacks, according to violence monitoring group Iraq Body Count.

That is still well below the height of Sunni-Shi'ite bloodletting that followed the U.S. invasion, when the monthly death toll sometimes topped 3,000.

(Additional reporting by Ahmed Rasheed and Raheem Salman in Baghdad and Mustafa Mahmoud in Kirkuk; Writing by Isabel Coles; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)
Uh-oh. Who would have expected it was AQ trying to release their mates. It was all about those poor innocent members inside.

In case anyone wonders ISOI (group who claimed the attack) is a group who has regularly killed Shia muslims in thousands (mainly Shia muslims, occasionally they've targeted Sunni muslims, often due to internal disagreement or in an attempt to start sectarian violence). They are mainly focused in the Al Anbar province who consisted and still consists of Saddam loyalists and Baathist dogs, something which has been normal since the days of Ahmed Hassan al Bakr (interesting enough a very general opinion among many Iraqis is that even Saddam had a hard time making a good portion of people in Al Anbar to support him or be loyal to him, not that it stopped those people from taking advantage of his ruling system). The province has been a hotbed for domestic terrorist groups and foreign terrorist groups since the American invasion and still continues to be so today, even more so with the increased activity between Iraq and Syria (sending and receiving support etc.) much due to it's demographic and geographic advantage with Syria.

Meanwhile on top of the bombs killing innocents which is bolded above we have this:

Iraq shooting: Nine policemen killed near Mosul

I'm sure the relation between this new violence and the prison break is non-existant. Even if we assume that it couldn't be related to them due to the short period of time the two happened it will only be a matter of time before the portion that stayed behind in Iraq continue with these activities as it's such a regular pattern since ages ago.

But good to know we have AQ supporters here. Anyone know when Al-Qaida OT will be created?

Would they ever be trialed is the question. Those types of prisons violate the Geneva convention treaty. And since they do not get trialed it cannot be proven that they are guilty. So therefore they are innocent (accept a large part is not), until proven otherwise. It is quite a headache, political wise.

It's better that ten innocent men suffer than one guilty man escape. Just following Bismarck and Pol Pot's lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom