• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Access Denied... Say what!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
All of a sudden, the drive that has all my music and video is giving me access denied errors on one of the drive letters (M: or MP3z). I'm the administrator too. Can't rename, move... Can't do sh!t.

There was this wierd SID (security ID) that had ownership of the files. I managed to undo that, but the problem remains. Thought a reboot would do it...to no avail. This all happened after installing WinMX IIRC. I uninstalled that too.

Anyone know what might be going on here, or even better, how to fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
winamp gave me problems like this sometimes, some torrent programs which weren't actually doing anything gave me this problem. My best advice is close all programs in both your viewable area and anything in processes... then go for it.

DaCocoBrova

I have nothing running tho... I'm on another machine now, so let me VNC into it and look at what services are running... One sec.

There's a few I don't recognize... I hate killing services without knowing their function tho... Isn't there a site that tells you that stuff?

I uninstalled WinAMP5... I hope that does it. As it stands, I can't even stream data off bitch. Not mp3s anyway. Shit sucks.

gblues

Banned
Sounds like maybe you got 0wned with a CACLS script. Here's how you can get access to your files back:

1. Open My Computer
2. Right-click the drive giving you access problems and choose Properties.
3. Click on the Security tab. (don't have a security tab? In the My Computer window, click Tools > Folder Options. Click the View tab, and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing (recommended)", then repeat steps 1-3).

4. Make sure Administrators is listed. If it's not, add it:
- Click Add
- Select "Administrators" from the list, click Add, then OK (Win2K) or type "Administrators" and click OK (WinXP).
5. Check everything in the "Allow" column and click Apply.
6. Click on each user/group listed in the "Group or user names" list. If any of them have anything checked in the "Deny" column, move the check to the "Allow" column and click Apply.
7. Click the Advanced button.
8. Put a checkmark on the "Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions" checkbox (Win2K) or the "Replace permisson options on all child objects with entries shown here that appl to child objects" checkbox (WinXP).
9. Click OK, and wait as Windows does its thing.

When it finishes, you should have access to your files again.

Nathan

DaCocoBrova

I really appreciate that.

I did most of that yesterday, but I'll tinker some more. I'm not using simple file sharing, so I have DACLs. :)

If I log out and come in as the Administrator, I have no problems. Seems to be a profile specific issue... The permssions are identical.

gblues

Banned
Make sure that Administrators is listed, not Administrator. The former is the group (which should include your regular account--does it?) and the latter is the user.

You can also slightly modify the instructions above to grant your regular user account full control of those files (maybe that "weird SID" was your user account? did you delete/recreate your user account recently by any chance?)

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom