• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 4 > Ace Combat 5

Sein

Neo Member
1) AC5's frantic radio chatter is equivalent to that of AC4, but the idle banter between wingmen in AC5 is vapid. And so far, my yes/no dialogue choices have made little difference on the conversation. This input system brings to mind the illusory choices in many RPGs (e.g., "Should we bring him along?" [No.] "Well, we can't just leave him here!").

2) The dialogue in AC5's cutscenes is stiff. Yes, the narration in AC4 was rather dry as well, but the narrator's melancholy tone made sense considering that he was reminiscing a childhood ravaged by war. What's the excuse of AC5's narrator and other characters?

3) I've only completed a few missions in AC5, but the story seems to be a melange of Top Gun and Final Fantasy X. That is not a good thing. I much preferred the dual perspectives of Mobius 1 (through the eyes of the player) and Yellow 13 (through the eyes of the narrator) in AC4.

4) Perhaps AC5 looks much better than AC4 on an HDTV, but they look nearly identical on my older television. The only improvement that I can identify so far is clouds. In contrast, ground textures and explosions have not received much-needed facelifts.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My complaints about AC5

Radio conversations seem kinda sucky, I agree with the yes/no conversation bit. I hate it when I have to let go of the analog stick just to respond too. Voice acting seems worse IMO (english voices) Wished the lock on sound was louder too, I almost can't hear it sometimes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sein said:
3) I've only completed a few missions in AC5, but the story seems to be a melange of Top Gun and Final Fantasy X.
I can't even really imagine what such a story would be like, but needless to say, it would be highly homosexual in nature.

Andy787

Banned
Sein said:
3) I've only completed a few missions in AC5, but the story seems to be a melange of Top Gun and Final Fantasy X.
MetatronM said:
I can't even really imagine what such a story would be like, but needless to say, it would be highly homosexual in nature.
I must purchase this game.

ara

Sein said:
1) AC5's frantic radio chatter is equivalent to that of AC4, but the idle banter between wingmen in AC5 is vapid. And so far, my yes/no dialogue choices have made little difference on the conversation. This input system brings to mind the illusory choices in many RPGs (e.g., "Should we bring him along?" [No.] "Well, we can't just leave him here!").
I agree with this sentiment exactly. In AC4 the radio chatter seemed to be more functionally important. Here it is like they are taking the attitude of, "more dialogue is always better."

It's kind of funny because often when the Yes/No choice comes up, I end up pressing the d-pad with my right hand since I am too busy steering :)

wipeout364

I too find the radio chatter weird. I find I dislike my wingmates and hope for the death of "the nuggets" to shut them all the F$%k up. Its too bad because so far I am enjoying the game but the teh gay radio chatter really hurts the atmosphere.

They should have some guy join the group at around mission 12 that curses like a bandit and is a raging alcoholic. That would at least counter the lame lines my wingmates utter.

Sein

Neo Member
The problem for me is that the small talk is so unconvincing that hearing it actually gives me a mental image of some faceless voice actor reading lines from a spreadsheet. As you can imagine, this destroys my immersion in the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In contrast, ground textures and explosions have not received much-needed facelifts.
Ground textures and ground in general *definitely* looks better, and so do planes, and most effects in fact. Just compare both games side by side if you don't believe me.

Well this is beddy beddy intadesting. I just bought AC4 on the cheap on Thursday because I wanted to play it before I went and got AC5. If I could peel my hands away from San Andreas for a second I would have already been well into the game.

The Ace Combat threads don't seem to even exist. I was just playing Ace Combat 5 today and was loving every minute of it. The production values, especially in the briefings and story telling sequences are incredible and the in game visuals are a marked improvement over AC 4.

My only visual complaint is that the explosions and damage could still be more detailed. I want to see pieces of the planes come flying off every time. The fighter being incinerated in the air after the fire and black smoke is a little dated.

The in mission 80's guitar music is punishing though. I LOVE the Hans Zimmer style score in the briefings and menus. Why they didn't continue it into the actual game itself is a mystery. Word for game devs, if you have a music volume option, have one for ingame and one for menus. In racing games especially I don't like music as I prefer hearing my engine and my rivals. I also don't want my interface screens dead sound wise.

I just finished the mission with the space ramp and tomorrow I'm going to play a bit more and get farther in.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wait, I thought the in-game music is that cheezy rock only in the arcade mode, and that it has some kind of orchestrated music in the regular campaign mode?

Gibbo

Warm Machine said:
The Ace Combat threads don't seem to even exist. I was just playing Ace Combat 5 today and was loving every minute of it. The production values, especially in the briefings and story telling sequences are incredible and the in game visuals are a marked improvement over AC 4.

My only visual complaint is that the explosions and damage could still be more detailed. I want to see pieces of the planes come flying off every time. The fighter being incinerated in the air after the fire and black smoke is a little dated.

The in mission 80's guitar music is punishing though. I LOVE the Hans Zimmer style score in the briefings and menus. Why they didn't continue it into the actual game itself is a mystery. Word for game devs, if you have a music volume option, have one for ingame and one for menus. In racing games especially I don't like music as I prefer hearing my engine and my rivals. I also don't want my interface screens dead sound wise.

I just finished the mission with the space ramp and tomorrow I'm going to play a bit more and get farther in.

I felt the music in the campaign mode is bloody excellent. Espically so for the fist few mission

See, I played the arcade mode just to see what the game was like and then I dumped the music down after hearing the rock then started playing the campaign. If campaign has orchestrated then I've got to put the music back up!

Oh yeah, does the game support progressive?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Campaign mode is the meat of the game, so it's kinda unfair to judge the game by the arcade mode. The arcade mode is just a supplement to the actual game

Ace Combat 4 has one of the greatest stories ever told in gaming ... I didn't really expect 5 to top it...

5 has more 'unique' missions, it's still fun..... but was really captivated by 4's story..... was actually the only game I've ever played to see what was going to happen to the characters. And the watercolor paints were awesome......

but yea, for the most part I agree ace 4 > ace 5

CrimsonSkies said:
I agree. Glad I rented this. Yet another game that focuses more on the bullshit than the gameplay.

WTF is that suppose to mean?

EXPLAIN THE BULL SHIT PART PLEASE! I AM VERY CURIOUS!!!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
CrimsonSkies said:
I agree. Glad I rented this. Yet another game that focuses more on the bullshit than the gameplay.

You're so full of shit.

Sein said:

2) The dialogue in AC5's cutscenes is stiff. Yes, the narration in AC4 was rather dry as well, but the narrator's melancholy tone made sense considering that he was reminiscing a childhood ravaged by war. What's the excuse of AC5's narrator and other characters?

3) I've only completed a few missions in AC5, but the story seems to be a melange of Top Gun and Final Fantasy X. That is not a good thing. I much preferred the dual perspectives of Mobius 1 (through the eyes of the player) and Yellow 13 (through the eyes of the narrator) in AC4.

4) Perhaps AC5 looks much better than AC4 on an HDTV, but they look nearly identical on my older television. The only improvement that I can identify so far is clouds. In contrast, ground textures and explosions have not received much-needed facelifts.

I agree with all of the above except for #4. True, AC4 and AC5 look very similar, but AC5 does have some subtle improvements, particularly with the lighting and some of the effects, over the previous game. Though as far as I know, neither games supported 480p.

One other thing I was disappointed with is the over-the-top nature of AC5. Shattered Skies was great because it had a lot of subtelty in its details. The action in AC5 almost seems forced. One such sequence that comes to mind is the 3rd or 4th mission when you're taking off as the runway is under attack. It looked like a scene out of Episode II or something.

Also, the disjointed nature of the narrative (having more than one person narrate), and the weird projection of time (one CG sequence makes it seem like weeks had passed between missions, but in reality, the missions take place mere minutes apart) have been kinda disappointing for me so far.

It's still a great game, and I'm really enjoying it so far, but it's not as great as AC04 was.

I'm liking it more than AC4. Mission 10 (I think) of the campaign mode is gorgeous. The color and detail in the environment is incredible.

I just did the mission over the oil fields. It took me about 20 minutes or so to beat it and when I went to save I hit Retry instead! :( Now I've got to do it all over again! The Timeline only updates when you go to the following screen!!!

AssMan

Banned
I think the graphics and missions have improved. I liked the first mission probably more than any mission from AC4, (except for destroying those weather ballon mission) and I love the chatter. Adds more realism to the game. Maybe it'll get more annoying since I'm only on mission 4.

P.S. The intro is one of the best on PS2. I think the Puddle of Mudd song fits it perfectly.

AssMan said:
P.S. The intro is one of the best on PS2. I think the Puddle of Mudd song fits it perfectly.

Another perfect example of the over-the-top elements that seem forced into the AC04 formula.

andthebeatgoeson

I agree on the chatter and the voice acting but the missions rock and are tougher. I'm on very easy for the first run thru (since I will put in about 7-10 run thrus based on the last game) and it still gives me a modest amount of difficulty. Good game so far: I like the cooperation although a few times, your teammates won't do as they are told. SAAMs are tougher to use than the point-and-shoot-and-forget-it quality of the QAAMs from AC4. Opponents are tougher to bring down and the jamming enemies are a treat when you first encounter them. Haven't gotten around to trying to find any secrets but can't wait to get all the planes. Oh, and taking on subs and boats with those air to water missles is fuckin sweet. I'm on like the 13th mission but I hope for more sea levels.

I like the strategy involved in picking your squad's plane but I'm not sure if it makes a difference. And I am not sure if telling your teammates to use their special weapons has an effect. Bottomline is that it is a good game so far if you liked 4 and adds quite a bit to the gameplay of previous versions.

Edit: I do wish they would have stuck with the presentation and cartoon story telling from AC4. Now, I just cringe with every bad voice and line.

Top Bottom