• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy is a wonderful game that no one played

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy for the 3DS is honestly a game that deserved more attention, unfortunately bamco decided that the best way to give the game more attention was to re-release it for the n3ds with the only new features being amiibo support and uh nintendo themed planes. Not gonna lie though the Bowser A-10 looks sweet.

A10-A-aircraft_bowser_c1_01.jpg

Legacy+ was a disappointing re-release, almost no content and at full price to boot. So I am pretty sure it was totally ignored, which is a huge shame because I'd love for people to take notice of how awesome Legacy actually is.

The game is essentially a full remake of Ace Combat 2. In fact I think the only deviations from Ace Combat 2 are the plane selection and the fact that your pilot is called Phoenix and not Scarface, oh and the game adds more "special squadron" battles kind of like the ones you fought in Ace Combat 5 and Zero.

Mechanically though the game is very different, but in a good way. While it retains the classic Ace Combat feel it manages to spice things up with the Maneuver system which I personally think is absolutely amazing, and what the Dogfighter mode in Assault Horizon should have been, although I guess they each had their own goals, DFM was a cinematic thing to show off the planes, while the Maneuver system is designed to make dogfighting a bit more reactive.

The way the Maneuver system works is simple. You have 3 types of maneuvers that you can perform, the high G turn which you do by slamming the thrust and the brake down at the same time, this lets you do some insanely tight turns at the cost of speed, which means if you hold the turn for more than a second you'll likely begin to stall. Then you have offensive and defensive maneuvers which are mapped to the Y button.

The offensive maneuver is simple but really great. Basically as you pursue an enemy a meter begins to fill up, when it reaches half way you perform a stunt that puts you behind the enemy, if you fill it half way you'll end up in their general rear area, which should give you a solid lock on solution, but it might be at too wide of an angle so your missile will miss without you correcting your position a little. If you get hit or the enemy shakes you then meter resets. Now if you let the meter fill up to max, you do the same stun except your next 2 missiles get enhanced tracking and will rarely miss unless your angle of attack is truly awful.

Offensive maneuvers in essence achieve the feeling of being able to get up close to an enemy to shoot them down without resorting to dumb as hell on rails segments that DFM did in Assault Horizon. While DFM was required to kill certain opponents in assault horizon in legacy offensive maneuvers are almost entirely optional, I say almost because there are certain enemies that are insanely fast and agile so if you don't want the air duel to take 20 minutes you'll probably wanna use offensive maneuvers.

The defensive maneuver is my favorite by far though and it opens up the game nicely. When the enemy has missile lock and they've fired a missile some arrows appear on either the left or right of the screen, push that direction + Y and you'll do a defensive maneuver, dodging the missile completely, however you'll lose your pursuit angle as it forces you to continue straight during the animation. If you do a series of these in a row and the enemy is closely following you the game will basically do a cobra type maneuver for you where you let the guy over take you and then you get full lock, letting you go in for the kill.

What's awesome about the defensive maneuvers is that they add a more tactile sensation to dodging missiles, and on the harder difficulties the game compensates by making the maneuver input window a lot tighter. This is scary because missile that are close enough to be dodged this way are usually fatal if you fumble the input or the on the Ace difficulty.

The other cool thing that Legacy does is increased plane customization, each plane has 3 possible special weapons to choose from at take off, as well as custom parts to choose from. These parts are the engine, the cockpit, the wing and armor.

The engine directly affects your speed, but a heavy engine can impact your maneuverability and stability while a light one could improve them.

The cockpit boosts your offensive stats and can give you a special "skill" like increased lock on range or auto firing the vulcan when it's in range .

The wing improves your maneuverability and stability but it can also have additional effects like an extra hard point for more special ammo or better brakes.

Finally your armor boosts your defense stat, you can select the lightest armor possible giving you big gains in speed and maneuverability, or you can be a tank in the sky at their expense additionally some armors come with stealth coating which makes it harder for enemies to track you and get a hard lock.

It's a cool system because you can modify planes just enough that it's interesting but not so much that the system feels very important, for example you can take that fishbed and boost it's speed to ridiculous levels so it really does feel like a pilot-able missile, or maybe you wanna take one of those fast fighters on a ground mission because your attackers aren't good enough dog fighters for the first half of the mission so you can outfit it with a cockpit that boosts air to ground capabilities and throw on some air to ground missiles and extra hard-points on the wings, it's generally a really fun system to mess around with. I can't remember if any other games in the series that do this though I think Joint Assault on the PSP had something like this.

So really Ace Combat Legacy has new mechanics in place that make it a wonderful iteration on the franchise, it adds just enough to make the game feel refreshing without feeling like the new stuff overpowers the game so much that it erases the classic ace combat gameplay that fans know and love.

I bought the + version of the game for the new 3DS and for the most part enjoyed it. I wish it would have been longer and encompassed all the missions that were included in AC2 but overall I had a good experience.

That being said, it's high time Project Aces created a new title in the series. Assault Horizon was four years ago and Infinity is a PS3-only FTP title. I want something new.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It doesn't help that it seems like no stores carried it. I've only seen it in my local Toys R Us. I bought their last copy the other day. (It's my first Ace Combat game. I played the first mission, it was pretty cool.)

Gotta wait for the NFC add-on to be released before trying out the Amiibo stuff, though.

I bought the + version of the game for the new 3DS and for the most part enjoyed it. I wish it would have been longer and encompassed all the missions that were included in AC2 but overall I had a good experience.

That being said, it's high time Project Aces created a new title in the series. Assault Horizon was four years ago and Infinity is a PS3-only FTP title. I want something new.

They just released Mach Storm in U.S. arcades a few months ago =P

At absolute worst get Infinity on PS4 already.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Agreed, but I'm sure in this day of big budgets and 5 million sales targets, pitching a new ace combat that stays true to the formula is probably next to impossible. Also because it would not only have to stay true to the essence of ace combat but it would also have to avoid just being the same game all over again mechanically speaking. That's what I appreciate the most about Legacy.

I have to ask though, what missions from AC2 were missing in Legacy? As far as I could tell they were all there.

Had a lot of fun in my 12 hours with the game, going through on Normal difficulty and slowly chipping away in Ace mode. I did find too often that I just circle round and round, spamming maneuvers until I hit my targets.

I don't play dogfighting games too often so I'm not adept, but I didn't feel like there was much technique in my play style. Hopefully the latter stages of Ace mode will make me explore the nuances in the game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Had a lot of fun in my 12 hours with the game, going through on Normal difficulty and slowly chipping away in Ace mode. I did find too often that I just circle round and round, spamming maneuvers until I hit my targets.

I don't play dogfighting games too often so I'm not adept, but I didn't feel like there was much technique in my play style. Hopefully the latter stages of Ace mode will make me explore the nuances in the game.

The later stages on Ace are intense but the game mostly doesn't really require too much technical play unless you're going for S ranks because it is after all basically an arcade game in its presentation. It just gives you a ton of neat scenarios to fly around in.

I played it and it was really fun, the soundtrack also stands out as pretty memorable.

Hell yeah the sound track is awesome! :D

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Granted I haven't played AC2 in well over a decade but it had 30 missions compared to AHL's 23.

Ah yeah you're right, the A and B paths of AC2 were basically combined into 6 missions 3 on one path and 3 on the other ,also some of the earlier branching missions are gone. I do think that Legacy has more missions with 2 parts and a checkpoint than AC2 but I do remember that one night time mission where enemies are using roads as runways being a noticeable omission.

OP, Legacy is my favorite out of all of the post-PS2 Project Aces game.

This is what Infinity and Assault Horizon should have been. I hope someone from Project Aces would get the message that this is the kind of game that fans of the series would want.

sfried

Excuse me, "no one"?

I bought it when it first came out, at full $40 price. No regrets.

It is an Ace Combat game through and through.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Excuse me, "no one"?

I bought it when it first came out, at full $40 price. No regrets.

I bought both Assault Horizon Legacy and the Plus version at full price brah

I'm proud of you guys ;__;7
But seriously it really felt like it got minimal attention considering the quality of the game is outstanding.

I thought about buying it but too short for the current price IMO.

It's really not that short, you've got 23 main story missions, like 10 bonus missions, a whole bunch of unlockable planes, parts and weapons as well as an additional difficulty to go through once you've finished hard.

If you're a fan of the franchise it's definitely worth checking out! Snag the original instead of the N3DS version, that should only run you like 15 bucks I figure.

It's really not that short, you've got 23 main story missions, like 10 bonus missions, a whole bunch of unlockable planes, parts and weapons as well as an additional difficulty to go through once you've finished hard.

If you're a fan of the franchise it's definitely worth checking out! Snag the original instead of the N3DS version, that should only run you like 15 bucks I figure.

I tried to find the original version here but couldn't. I'll keep looking though.

Boogdud

I bought Assault Horizon Legacy on day one and came away disappointed. It felt like a good Ace Combat game, I just didn't care for the maneuver mode and could never get used to controlling with the circle pad.

I much prefer the classic Ace Combats that pretty much control and feel like a "sim-lite", rather than the canned maneuvers, etc.

But that's just me.

I haven't played an Ace Combat game since...the PS2 era. I don't even remember which one. This sounds really cool though, your write up peaked my interest.

Yuterald

Loved the 3DS Ace Combat game. Despite being a remake of AC2, it felt like a mini-version of Zero, which is my favorite AC title of all time. With a lot of these franchise favorites getting spiritual successors/remakes/revivals, you'd think Project Aces/Namco Bandai would follow suit. I'm still unrealistically holding out for a proper Ace Combat 7 for the PS4.

As a side note, since I'm unaware of an Ace Combat community thread, I finally completed my AC collection after all these years!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Loved the 3DS Ace Combat game. Despite being a remake of AC2, it felt like a mini-version of Zero, which is my favorite AC title of all time. With a lot of these franchise favorites getting spiritual successors/remakes/revivals, you'd think Project Aces/Namco Bandai would follow suit. I'm still unrealistically holding out for a proper Ace Combat 7 for the PS4.

As a side note, since I'm unaware of an Ace Combat community thread, I finally completed my AC collection after all these years!

Oh my god dude I am insanely jealous, especially of your hori flight sticks. I keep beating myself up every day over not buying the Ace Combat 5 flight stick edition when I bought my game. It was just sitting there at gamestop the store I was at but 150 was too much for me back then I have no idea how much they'd go for now.

phants

Oooh thanks for this thread; I had no idea there were two versions of the game on 3DS - and it just so happens that my local retailer has it stupid-cheap on sale (if you're in PAL-land, I'm referring to MightyApe). Bought!

Yuterald

Oh my god dude I am insanely jealous, especially of your hori flight sticks. I keep beating myself up every day over not buying the Ace Combat 5 flight stick edition when I bought my game. It was just sitting there at gamestop the store I was at but 150 was too much for me back then I have no idea how much they'd go for now.

Yeah, man. I actually never owned the AC5 stick bundle back in the day, but I bit the bullet on a decently priced eBay lot a few years back. I bought the AC6 bundle near-launch, but I lost that one in a fire years ago and had to eBay that as well. There are few series I would go balls-out for and AC is definitely one of them.

DXPett1

Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception is where it's really at OP

Customization up the wazoo
Branching mission structure and story
Both legacy and 'future' aircraft
Kickass music

Only thing it really need was the 'Ace Squadron' battles. It had one, but not in the same vein as Zero did

Top Bottom