• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action figure appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlock

Banned
Die, evil unfocusing webcam.

Here's my display collection on my shelves as of now. :p

Pict0004.jpg

Top shelf, visible--Spawn 3 repaint, Bart Simpson plush, Cruz Pedregon autographed pistonhead, Scottie Pippen autographed basketball.
Top shelf, not visible--Coke/Cleveland Cavs glass bottle set, Michael Jordan "Michael's Back!" Wheaties box, Dogbert and Dilbert plush, Colorado Rockies engraved baseball bat.

Next shelf down--KISS.

Pict0005.jpg

Boba Fett, Badrock, Mandarin Spawn, Ninja (Original Metal Gear Solid series), SD Burning, SD Wing Zero, SD Deathscythe, SD Master, Homer Simpson, the Creech.

Pict0006.jpg

Godzilla and Jim Morrison.

Pict0007.jpg

The awesomest corner of earth.

Optimus Prime, Smokescreen, Vulcan Raven, Ash, Space Ghost, and a cement duck.

bjork

Too lazy to take photos right now, but on my desk/bookshelf currently there is:

Jakks Hulk Hogan
Naruto bottle toppers
Macross capsule toys
Janice figure from the Muppets
Two Transformers "diorama" capsule toys (Devastator attacking Autobot city and Prime bust w/opening chest)
Spike Spiegel figure
Majin Vegeta w/black hair
Bandai FFVII figure set
Final Fantasy Trading Arts set (metallic)
Final Fantasy Trading Arts color figures: Yuna, Sephiroth (x2), Lulu, Cloud
Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander from the newer GI Joe line
Plush mailaway Totoro from the original VHS release in 1993
Sakura UFO catcher from Naruto
some plush rat thinger from Fruits Basket
Generation 1 Swoop Dinobot
McFarlane Trinity figure (the lobby scene one)
Armada Skywarp
TRU reissue Optimus Prime
Masterpiece Convoy
Alternator Smokescreen
Energon Starscream
World's Smallest Transformers: Optimus (wave 1 x2, wave 2 x2, bumblebee, starscream, megatron, red bumblebee chase, bluestreak chase)
Stephanie McMahon "no panties" figure
Blue Mary KoF figure
Lita Fatal 4-Way figure
three gundams I put together, but I don't know their names
Transformers PVC figures... (acts 1-9)

I think that's all I have out. Also have a wooden lamp shaped like a monkey, and an incense burner that's got a pirate skull on the front, and the smoke emits from the mouth and eye socket.

etiolate

Banned
I have the worst action figure ever. He was 99 cents at Big Lots. He is called NINJA FIGHTER! and his armor is black and gold, with gold elf shoes. His hair is a spikey flat top, colored green and black and he wears a mask, without a nose and has red eyes.

Here's some crappy pics.
ninjafighter2.jpg

nf4.jpg

He came with a giant hand on a stick which seems msot sueful for raking leaves.
ninjacat.jpg

RIDE THE WILD BEAST
ninjavsganon.jpg

Take it all, beyoch.

ballhog

The picture on the cat's back is great, A friend of mine has an "ethnically darkened" desert storm teenage mutant ninja turtle, I think it's Donatello. Estimated value: Ten billion dollars!

SKluck

Banned
I typically only get McFarlane figures.

I have the complete sets including deluxes of
Aliens Vs Predator
Terminator 3
Matrix
MGS2
a few hellspawn and shespawn figures

I can't really justify spending $15-20+ a figure on the MGS1 figures, or various Terminator 1/2, etc figures just to complete some of my lines.

Also have a bunch of LOTR figures, I wouldn't have bought them myself because of the poor quality, they were a gift. Same reason I refuse to buy the Halo figures from Joyride.

I have the mezco toys mini alien/predator figures as well. I'd buy a lot more figures, but most are shit, and I'm not spending $100 a pop on statues.

bjork

We sold our lone set of MGS2 capsule toys at work today... all the figures including the Raiden chase. The owner put it at a price of $199, since no sane person would buy it, and we'd have a cool display piece. Well, someone bought it. :(

You mean those stylish/small Japanese ones that are attached to stands?
I saw them on display in game store recently and would LOVE to get them if I didn't already get the bigger/crappier McFarlane set. :(

Drensch

McFarlane!=Action figure
He's about to toys what he is to comics, lots of flash, lacking in substance. His company makes good statues, but the articulation is ass.

B'z-chan

Banned
Drensch you might like this but i have all of series one spawn signed by the man himself. I also have a limited edition Violator hand made statue from a resin frame signed and made by Mr McFarlane.

I also have over 300 Gi Joe figures from the 80's and some of the larger early 90's dolls. All been in play before but now just sit in a rubbermaid container. Same as my TMNT toys.

I also have ever damn Star-wars figure's from the 90's all up till Episode one thats when i stoped collecting them. I have test figures and even screw up's unopened. The funniest being a Han figure with a Pricnes's head and darths light saber, nice job there hastbor. I also have a collection of original figure. They include boxed original figures from EP 4 5 6, they are signed and are in great condition.

Following originals unopened and signed.

Lea: EP 4 5 6 all version's
Luke: EP 4 5 6 all version's
Darth vader: EP 4 5 6 all version's (signed by both that actor and james earl jones)
Obiwan EP 4 (two of them, one to be signed by new obiwan soon enough)
Han Solo EP 4 5 6 all versions (signed by Harrison ford and George lucas for someones son, i think it was signed for one of steven's kids around Indy's production days, not too sure)

and a few others signed like C3PO and Greedo

Overall i have a large collection i'm just sitting on it for the time being.

Matlock

Banned
Drensch said:
McFarlane!=Action figure
He's about to toys what he is to comics, lots of flash, lacking in substance. His company makes good statues, but the articulation is ass.

Which is why all but Ash and Jim Morrison have standard or above-standard action figure articulation up there. Trust me, I know the wild variances in articulation in the McFarlane toylines...There's been some great, some poor, and some inbetween.

Don't be a hater, though, because 18 inch Ash rocks a hole in the ground.

calder

I have a Ryo-ko from Tenchi and that's about it. I do have a bunch of collectible hockey pucks and those sweet, sweet mini NHL trophies McDonalds had.

I did see a SD plush Rock Lee in the store once and almost nabbed it, but $40 was a bit of a gouge for what is essentially a cloth doll. Next time I went it was the only one gone. :\

If I ever get one of these I might have to get a bunch.
frp-16702.jpg

nhl4_iginla_reg_sb.jpg

SKluck

Banned
If you are over 15 and you still harp about action figures without lots of articulation, there is something seriously wrong. You aren't supposed to play with them.

evil ways

SKluck said:
If you are over 15 and you still harp about action figures without lots of articulation, there is something seriously wrong. You aren't supposed to play with them.

You're supposed to pose them in the shelf, but when you get tired of watching the same boring pose over and over, articulation fixes that.

My collection:

McFarlane:

The Crow
Freddy Krueger ('98)
Jason Vorhees ('98)
Michael Myers
Ash
Evil Ash
Terminator 3 T-850 w/ coffin
Solid Snake(MGS2)
Fortune
Olga
Revolver Ocelot(MGS2)
Solidus Snake
Raiden
Liquid Snake
Predator 2 The Hunter

Kill Bill:

The Bride
GoGo
Johnny Mo
Crazy 88 #2

Marvel Legends:

Captain America
Iron Man
The Punisher
Gambit
Ghost Rider

GI Joe 2003: Snake-Eyes vs Cobra Commander

Games:

Jin Kazama
Kazuya Mishima
Devil Jin
Ryu
Charlie Nash
Akuma
Dante
Vincent Valentine
Sephiroth
Cloud Strife

Miscellaneous:

Ultimate Warrior Classic Superstars 2004
Spiderman 2 Spiderman
Spiderman 2 Doc Ock
Evil Ways Atsushi Onita w/ cigarette & middle finger gesture
The Great Muta Deluxe #1, #2 and #3
Keiji Mutoh Crosswizard
Kokushi Muso Deluxe
Mazinger Z Soul of Chogokin

Chony

Star Wars action figures rock the most. They are the perfect size, not too big, not too small. They are actually fun to play with. Hell I would still play with them today, but I gave all of mine to my little brother. Combined we have a Gigantic buket, probably 80 galllon bucket, filled with action figures, a cardboard box filled with vehicles, and a large bag full of accesories (guns, sabers, missles, etc.) I would have huge battles, like hoth, but with my own storyline. It would take hours to set up everything, then the battle would take place. I would even build forts out of our huge multitude of vhs tapes and books. I would lay white blankets on the floor for snow. Black blankets for pavement, etc. Good times, good times.

Desperado

SKluck said:

If you are over 15 and you still harp about video games without lots of play value, there is something seriously wrong. You aren't supposed to play with them.

Seriously, what's wrong with playing with action figures? I'm 15 and I don't anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't get the urge to once in a while...Kudos to people who play with their toys.

ps-Alternators are teh pwn!

Matlock

Banned
calder said:
I have a Ryo-ko from Tenchi and that's about it. I do have a bunch of collectible hockey pucks and those sweet, sweet mini NHL trophies McDonalds had.

I did see a SD plush Rock Lee in the store once and almost nabbed it, but $40 was a bit of a gouge for what is essentially a cloth doll. Next time I went it was the only one gone. :\

If I ever get one of these I might have to get a bunch.
frp-16702.jpg

nhl4_iginla_reg_sb.jpg

Man, those sell like crap down here. Most places already marked 'em down to $5...Hell, in the NBA set, the Shaq vs. Yao double pack is like $10 now.

Of course, you just can't find a damned Lebron James figure...Gotta wait for the Lebron vs. Carmelo set.

I wish i had a picture hosting site b/c i've been collecting the most badass spawn figures for a while now. And some various others from anime to movies

Rorschach

batsncap.jpg

Notthing even compares to the ultimate badass. He even makes Marvel's #1 badass look meek in comparison! Where's Cap's shield? Batman ate his fucking shield! Damn straight!

[edit] Damn...the lighting makes him look less badass :|

evil ways

bjork said:
This is very fair to Flair:
rf1.JPG
rf2.JPG

rf3.JPG
rf4.JPG

rf5.JPG

flair1.jpg

Best $10.76 you ever spent, son!

I saw those at Gamestop, a full box of George Steels, Big John Studds and Sgt. Slaughters, but the Ric Flairs were all taken. I'm gonna wait a bit until I turn to Ebay, since I was patient with the Warrior figure and found him.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Last action figures I got were the complete set of Cammy and Chun-Li mini PVC statues that were released domestically (I think there was an ad in the SF comics), a kick-ass mini Dante action figure (not quite a capsule toy; comes in a small box and is actually pretty posable, with removable weapons/arms), and three incredibly-perverted Onegai Teacher mini PVCs (don't remember their names, but I got Mizuho's mom, which is the one I wanted. I'd like to bring it work and put it at the top of the computer for little kids to oggle and moms to be disgusted at, but I'm afraid it would get stolen.)

Matlock

Banned
...and a bit of Magnuz's collection. He's too lazy to register. :p

McFarlane Matrix Figures & Transformers
collection1.jpg

Spawns/ Predators
collection2.jpg

Hellboy
collection3.jpg

LOTR & Ultimate IronMan w/Trades
collection4.jpg

X2 Movie & Busts
collection5.jpg

Marvel Legends/Hulk Classics/Spider-Man Classics/X-Men Classics
collection6.jpg

Spider-Man Classics
collection7.jpg

Batman/DCDirect JSA/DCDirect JLA
collection8.jpg

Hulk, Jango Fett, Street Fighters, Daredevil, Halo
collection9.jpg

...and yes, he's played with all of 'em.

Memles

About 150 Jakks WWF/WWE Figures.

Currently on Display:

Jakks Bret "The Hitman" Hart (Classic Superstars Series 1)
Jakks Bret "The Hitman" Hart (Superstars Series 2..>I think)
The Hurricane
Chris Jericho
Edge
Christian
Cactus Jack

Dead

well not really...yet
Check your local Gamestops, if they still have that Matrix Sentinel it should be about 17 dollars

One of my few action figures that I actually took from concept to finish (Most of my stuff got taken away from me or I took it over in the middle of the project because I switched teams once in my 2 years at Hasbro. Toys usually took around 12 to 18 months to go from concept to finish in those days).

It's Jurassic Park Chaos Effect line (animated line that never got made as a show, but toys came out anyways). It's called Ankloronodon (Anklosaur + Pteradon).

JPChaos3.jpg

JPChaos2.jpg

I wish I kept my other stuff (mostly Superman animated line).

B'z-chan

Banned
Shogmaster said:
One of my few action figures that I actually took from concept to finish (Most of my stuff got taken away from me or I took it over in the middle of the project because I switched teams once in my 2 years at Hasbro. Toys usually took around 12 to 18 months to go from concept to finish in those days).

It's Jurassic Park Chaos Effect line (animated line that never got made as a show, but toys came out anyways). It's called Ankloronodon (Anklosaur + Pteradon).

JPChaos3.jpg

JPChaos2.jpg

I wish I kept my other stuff (mostly Superman animated line).

Dude did you make that? I have a box full of them (unopened). two were for promotional uses (i'm guess for some tie in or something) I loved the line actually except for the Trex thing. But it was cool.

B'z-chan said:
Dude did you make that? I have a box full of them (unopened). two were for promotional uses (i'm guess for some tie in or something) I loved the line actually except for the Trex thing. But it was cool.

Glad you liked them. I was the designer. Chaos Effect was mine and my design manager's baby. We designed the line for a TV cartoon that never happend. Our baby got SIDS unfortunately. :( ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom