• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Action platformers-what kinds of levels do you hate/love?

belgurdo

Banned
Although a lot of people hate them immensly, I always like desert levels because they usually tend to be the biggest stages in any game they're featured in, and they always seem to be dev team playgrounds (secret areas, freedom of movement, gimmicks, etc.) I'm also a fan of high elevation stages (Hill Top from Sonic 2 comes to mind)

Can't stand lake/water or volcano stages where these locations are usually where devs put all of the "instant kill" crap at and I usually suck at avoiding pits when I'm in a rush

ourumov

The only desert level I liked was in Gun-Gage...
I specially like Urban Stages. Just bring me the typical asian city with tons of lights. Namely JSR...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i tend to dislike gimmicky forced-scrolling stages. stage 4 in contra III, the horse and jetboard levels in shinobi III, etc. yes, they're nifty the first several times, but i find them wearying thereafter. gunstar heroes is one of the rare games that gets gimmicky stages right, i think...generally i like when a game finds a furrow and has enough sense to stay there.

ourumov

I agree with Drohne...
But I can't hide that I love the stage 2 of shattered soldier. It's a homage to the train stage of Gungage too. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I hate "Mine cart" type stages, where you need to jump and duck at the right times, or else you'll get an instant kill... Featured in nearly every SS known to man... Grrr...

Favorite levels? Hmm... levels where lots of crazy stuff happens that alters the level, or anything with interesting gimmicks (the lava level, where you needed to use your reflection to jump in Rocket Knight Adventures, Gravity Man's stage in Megaman 5)

hobbitx

I hate those levels that constantly move you forward. Ones that do it for a reason are annoying enough, but ones where there's not even anything behind you are really irritating.

I love daytime clouds and starry night levels, those always rock.

XS+

Banned
8bit Stole My Thunder. Those damned 'My thumb isn't touching the Dpad yet I'm still moving AND I'm supposed to precisely jump across some enormous chasm' ice levels can go directly to hell, do not collect $200.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I love water levels, ice levels, and mine cart levels personally.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a specific type of level that I don't like. But in general I despise levels that are structured so poorly that you sometimes aren't sure where to go or what to do next. I'm noticing more and more of them ever since last gen, unfortunately.

FoneBone

djtiesto said:
the lava level, where you needed to use your reflection to jump in Rocket Knight Adventures
I'd forgotten about that - that was awesome. All 3 Sparkster games kick ass.

My vote: chase levels where you have to escape a moving wall, rising sea of lava/toxic waste, etc. Often incredibly frustrating.

Troidal

Hit a switch to open a gate/door, but it closes after a certain amount of time, and its usually just when you reach it. Sure its not impossible, but annoying as fyuck.

The one time you can own the game in the situation above was Devil May Cry. Just turn into the demon and you can run twice the speed, suckaz!

At last thats the one I can remember of...most of it just needed pratice, but it was still annoying, and dont need another one of those gimmicks.

Memles

Levels that make you fight four bosses that themselves were incredibly annoying, only to then fight another boss that is even more annoying, that I'm still not sure HOW to beat, yet alone my amount of suckage at doing so.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
That level called Donkey Kong 64..

Memles said:
Levels that make you fight four bosses that themselves were incredibly annoying, only to then fight another boss that is even more annoying, that I'm still not sure HOW to beat, yet alone my amount of suckage at doing so.

That was easy :p.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Memles said:
Doesn't keep me from sucking, and thus hating.
True. The key is to start off slow (and if need be, "slow-mo" slow :p) and figure out their patterns. You'll find their weak point and all you have to do is exploit it (and use VFX powers to do additional damage!!). Let us know when you beat the game ;).

Memles

TheQueen'sOwn said:
True. The key is to start off slow (and if need be, "slow-mo" slow :p) and figure out their patterns. You'll find their weak point and all you have to do is exploit it (and use VFX powers to do additional damage!!). Let us know when you beat the game ;).

I've only had it for like a year now, give me time. ;)

I can beat the first ones easy, my friend...I can destroy the Shark in seconds flat. My problem, instead, lies with Leo.

Kuramu

i can't stand desert levels. i just don't like deserts. The color yellow in large amounts bothers me, and there's nothing interesting to look at.

I love underwater 3D levels because it's like flying. the first time playing the water level in Mario64 blew me away

Ranger X

I hate levels that simply look the same. I tend to take as an example most of the techno levels like some in Ratchet and Clank. They look too much alike and it's boring.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just hate levels where EVERYTHING is deadly, like a lot of Banjo-Kazooie or Mario Sunshine. Why even make a level if you aren't allowed to touch it?

aku:jiki

XS+ said:
8bit Stole My Thunder. Those damned 'My thumb isn't touching the Dpad yet I'm still moving AND I'm supposed to precisely jump across some enormous chasm' ice levels can go directly to hell, do not collect $200.
Yes. I can't fucking stand the shit.

I like urban settings like, ourumov, though... But that isn't an action platforming stereotype, really.

Kuramu

Dice said:
I just hate levels where EVERYTHING is deadly, like a lot of Banjo-Kazooie or Mario Sunshine. Why even make a level if you aren't allowed to touch it?

i'm trying to figure out what you mean by this. Could you give some examples... i can only think of the volcano in SMS

Memles

Kuramu said:
i'm trying to figure out what you mean by this. Could you give some examples... i can only think of the volcano in SMS

Or the level in Pianta Village where the slime was everywhere and you somehow had to get to your water pack.

Kuramu

Memles said:
Or the level in Pianta Village where the slime was everywhere and you somehow had to get to your water pack.

oh yeah... although it's not insta-death... i thought that was pretty cool

Top Bottom