• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Add another one to Wikileaks tally

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...entist-shahram-amiri-returned-country-from-us

An Iranian nuclear scientist, whose disappearance in Saudi Arabia in 2009 and subsequent return to Tehran a year later from Washington was shrouded in mystery, has been executed in his home country...

The release of Clinton’s emails last year by the State Department appeared to have been damning for Amiri. A number of emails sent to the then secretary of state appeared to support claims that he was a defector. “Our friend has to be given a way out. We should recognise his concerns and frame it in terms of a misunderstanding with no malevolent intent and that we will make sure there is no recurrence. Our person won’t be able to do anything anyway. If he has to leave, so be it,” wrote one senior official to Clinton, according to CNN.

“Following the reported revelations in the Clinton emails, Amiri was executed for spying,” said Dina Esfandiary, MacArthur fellow at the centre for science and security studies at King’s College London. “In the Iranian judiciary’s mind, it’s a necessary signal to the US that Iran is aware of their activities in Iran and that this is what is done to those who help the enemy. It’s a textbook spying case.”

Iranian hardliners, who dominate the judiciary and the intelligence apparatus, have vociferously opposed the nuclear deal that Hassan Rouhani, the president, struck with the west last year. According to Esfandiary, Amiri’s execution could also play internally as Rouhani enters his final year in office. “It’s also another shot at the Rouhani camp amid intense political infighting a year after the Iran deal and months before the elections,” she said.

The guy was silly to go back, but the wikileaks dump seems to have provoked Iran in to killing him.

Dineren

Banned
While I'm no fan of wikileaks, doesn't the article say the State department released the emails?

Edit: Even your OP says it was probably provoked by the State dept. released emails. Maybe, there is some connection I'm missing, but even following the links in the article didn't seem to show any.

While I'm no fan of wikileaks, doesn't the article say the State department released the emails?

Edit: Even your OP says it was probably provoked by the State dept. released emails. Maybe, there is some connection I'm missing, but even following the links in the article didn't seem to show any.

Not just that, neither this article nor the articles it sources mention Wikileaks once from what I can find.

Poor show, OP. Keep the title from the article.

Lamel

Banned
That sucks for the man, RIP. But he was technically a "spy" and nothing good was gonna come from that if he was discovered. That's just sort of what happens.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
op right now

7vSWFPv.png

Jenov

Was wondering why he decided to go back... in the article:

Reports of Amiri’s imprisonment intensified speculation that he was forced to return by threats to his relatives, but the exact sequence of events that led to this remain unclear. In 2012, it was reported that he had been sentenced to 10 years in jail but Mohseni-Eje’i said on Sunday those reports were untrue and he had been sentenced to death from the beginning.

Shitty.

By the way, he was already imprisoned in 2012 for spying by Iran, which I believe was before any emails were released. Perhaps they hastened a death sentence afterwards though.

While it certainly does suck he was killed, he choose to spy for another country knowing the risks.

I'm not saying he deserved the die mind you, but nobody anywhere is ever surprised to hear a country executed a known and admitted spy.

Breads

Banned
Neither "Wiki" nor "leak" appear once in the article.

And why would it.

It clearly says it was released by the state department.

Kayhan

The release of Clinton’s emails last year by the State Department appeared to have been damning for Amiri. A number of emails sent to the then secretary of state appeared to support claims that he was a defector.

image.php

So, technically, this was a result of the GoP pushing for the emails to be released so they can try to pin Benghazi or some other shit on Hillary.

Instead, they got a poor guy in Iran executed for treason.

Is that how this pretty much played out?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So, technically, this was a result of the GoP pushing for the emails to be released so they can try to pin Benghazi or some other shit on Hillary.

Instead, they got a poor guy in Iran executed for treason.

Is that how this pretty much played out?

Pretty much it seems so. The thing is this type of behavior further deters others from potentially helping in the future. They know they can get caught in a political witchhunt years later and that we don't get them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom