• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFMF 2 now in AMD Radeon latest drivers

Kataploom

Gold Member
For those with AMD cards that still don't know, AMD just released a new version of AMD Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF) for all RDNA 2 and RDNA 3 users.

This new version is WAY better than I expected, it looks like it's now powered by AI (IDK details, btw) so the quality is greatly improved. Here are some key features from AMD itself:
  • AFMF 2 Technical Preview– A major advancement in frame generation technology for AMD HYPR-RX
    • Lower Latency and Higher Performance
      • AFMF 2 enhances fast-paced gaming by significantly reducing frame-generation latency and performance scaling through new modes.
    • Fast Motion Optimization
      • Enjoy smoother gameplay and higher FPS with improved frame generation consistency during fast motion.
    • Improved Borderless-Fullscreen Support
      • Expanded display mode support for RDNA 3 series graphics products ensures compatibility with virtually all borderless-fullscreen games.
    • Expanded API Support
      • Enable AFMF 2 for any OpenGLNEW, VulkanNEW, DirectX® 11, and 12 titles.
    • Radeon™ Chill Interop Support
      • AFMF 2 now supports Radeon™ Chill, providing a low latency FPS capping option.
    • Extensive Product Support
      • AFMF 2 is optimized for an extensive list of AMD products, including AMD Ryzen AI™ 300 series processors.
Source: https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/release-notes/RN-RAD-WIN-AFMF2-TECH-Preview.html

Here's my quick observation after briefly testing it on Yakuza Kiwami 2:
- Now you can configure it for performance or quality, I set both options to quality and it's very decent
- Latency is not noticiable for me, like almost inexistent, basically latency free feature (how?!)
- Artifacts are way less noticiable as well
- It seems not to be turned off when camera moves fast

IMO, this is great for people like me that like animation fluidity for a mere graphical appeal and not just because of input latency, it's really good, but I can't compare to Lossless Scaling because I haven't tried that one (I don't use these FG tbh) so I leave it to you guys, so far I'm impressed and will do more tests and try to consider using it in some games to see how it works out for me.

mrcroket

It would be great if Nvidia would do the same at the driver level for their FG technology. I guess due to their exclusivity for 4000 series they prefer not to do it and limit it to DLSS 3.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I've tried it on my 7900 XTX and honestly.. it's a bit shit?

In Days Gone it makes the camera controls feel more spongy and the grass artifacts when fast panning. Played for about 2 hours with it and disabled again. Maybe I need to mess about with settings. I suppose that's the trade off of it being driver level rather than on a game basis like nVidia.

Callisto Protocol it seems ok, but only played a few minutes. I'll try more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
did you enable anti lag as well?
AFAIK it enables it automatically, I've been seeing tests and latency seems to be around 8-10 for most games and in some cases it can be up to 14 ms which was the largest latency added and it was in AW2, maybe because there wasn't enough overhead for the FG, not sure. It seems like latency is roughly 25%-30% what it was in AFMF 1 and it shows because I really hated it when I tried it but AFMF 2 is barely any noticiable which feels great.

It would be great if Nvidia would do the same at the driver level for their FG technology. I guess due to their exclusivity for 4000 series they prefer not to do it and limit it to DLSS 3.
Have you tried lossless scaling FG? It works for any game, and works very well for certain games. Currently playing NFS Unbound and found LSFG somehow feels better than DLSS3 here! Framepacing feels smoother and there is less stutter somehow. Worth the asking price for a global FG solution in any case.

Will be an interesting comparison to do: AFMF 2 Vs LSFG.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Installing as we speak, had no idea. Cant wait to try it on my 6800xt
Let us know your insight.

I tried locking Yakuza Kiwami yo 36 FPS (144Hz of my TV divided by 3) and then enabling AFMF 2, literally can't differentiate the input lag, it's just too good to be true. And it for some reason feels a lot smoother than lower frame rate, it's not just placebo, I'm absolutely sure about this.

Oh, right, you can now enable AFMF with Radeon Chill... And it works amazing.

As I said, this is not for improving responsiveness, but for adding motion clarity/fluidity/resolution. It would work amazing as a an optional feature con consoles.

I'm not sure if I'll use it because I can clearly see artifacts on fast camera movements, but it looks good enough to a lot of people, specially those on handheld PC seem to like it a lot for battery.

winjer

Gold Member
I tried AFMF2 with Elden Ring and Dark Souls. These are games that are locked at 60 fps. (yes, I know that we can unlock them with a mod, but there are issues with that)

Playing, I didn't notice any additional lag. Input responsive felt just as good as with native. But the smoothness of the frame rate was much improved.
It really looked like a 120 fps game. And all it took was a toggle in the AMD control panel.
In terms of image artifacts, only if I was actively looking for them, was I able to find them. It is not as good as an FG native implementation, because it doesn't have access to the game's internal buffers, but it is still very good.

Utherellus

Have you tried lossless scaling FG? It works for any game, and works very well for certain games. Currently playing NFS Unbound and found LSFG somehow feels better than DLSS3 here! Framepacing feels smoother and there is less stutter somehow. Worth the asking price for a global FG solution in any case.

Will be an interesting comparison to do: AFMF 2 Vs LSFG.
Can Lossless Scaling devs implement this new version? Or it's exclusive/driver level feature for AMD?

Last edited:
An improvement over AFMF 1, but it's still not great. I'll wait for AFMF 3 because now 80 FPS without this thing feels better than 144 FPS with it. When I enable it, camera movement becomes sluggish. Anti-lag option doesn't really do much.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So does this disable FSR3 frame generation in supported games? Or does enabling FSR3 frame gen disable this?

An improvement over AFMF 1, but it's still not great. I'll wait for AFMF 3 because now 80 FPS without this thing feels better than 144 FPS with it. When I enable it, camera movement becomes sluggish. Anti-lag option doesn't really do much.
After some tinkering with the settings, I've managed to get it working better. Performance mode and Radeon Chill (instead of anti-lag) with both minimum and maximum FPS set to the same value - and now the camera movement is almost not sluggish at all. The only remaining drawback is that AFMF seems to be getting deactivated every time I Alt-Tab. So, getting back to the game always induces a rather annoying micro-freeze for less than a second.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So does this disable FSR3 frame generation in supported games? Or does enabling FSR3 frame gen disable this?
Not sure but if you have FSR 3 in games, you should use that instead... Tho I saw a video on YouTube saying that FSR 3 is so badly implemented in CP2077 that he prefers AFMF 2 by far. I'll guess enabling FSR 3 disabled AFMF since AMD seems to prioritize the best one, they do so for Hypr RX.

After some tinkering with the settings, I've managed to get it working better. Performance mode and Radeon Chill (instead of anti-lag) with both minimum and maximum FPS set to the same value - and now the camera movement is almost not sluggish at all. The only remaining drawback is that AFMF seems to be getting deactivated every time I Alt-Tab. So, getting back to the game always induces a rather annoying micro-freeze for less than a second.
Well, it's a very specific case and I think everyone can live with that unless they're streaming on a low end card lol.

Top Bottom