• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African American Student walks into dorm room area, finds a noose and death threats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I wouldn't post this but it happened to my school. I lived in those exact same suites two years ago.

LINK

KENOSHA, Wis. -- Students at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside said there have been new death threats made on campus Thursday night.
The threats came hours after university officials said a student found a noose hanging in a dormitory.
Emotional students gathered inside the University of Wisconsin-Parkside student center.
"It just hurts that we are being targeted for such a hatred crime, that someone has so much hate in their hearts," student Crystal Sims said.
Inside a dormitory on campus Wednesday, a black female student found a noose made of rubber bands in the common area of her suite. She reported it to campus officials and then said she received a threatening letter.
"Parkside will not tolerate any kind of bias, any kind of hate. What we're looking for in an academic community is that ability to have dialogue about differences," Interim Dean of Students Cindy Graham said.
Campus leaders spoke of a pair of campuswide meetings to address the problem and programming throughout the year to do the same.
But before a second meeting could take place, students said there was another letter that spelled out specific death threats.
"It's scary, but at the same time, the anger -- we're just trying to keep everybody calm right now," student Ken Woods said.
Campus police and a sheriff's deputy returned to the dorm Wednesday night.
Students said they believe it's a small group or person targeting them, but it has taken a big toll on their lives.

Kenosha County Sheriff's Department
On Friday, the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department released pictures of the nooses so that students and public could understand what the threat looked like.
"When you here the term noose, you get a certain picture in your head. I don’t think these nooses, made of rubber bands and plastic string, are what people would picture,” Sheriff

Read more: http://www.wisn.com/news/30363171/detail.html#ixzz1lMnwYZ2l

She got more death threats after reporting it apparently.

Oh these ignorant attention whores are targeting other people too.

The University of Wisconsin-Parkside has tightened security after racially-motivated threats were made against black students.

A third threat was reported Thursday night, shortly after a Black Student Union meeting where participants discussed a rubber band noose found in a residence hall.

The Journal Times reports (http://bit.ly/xt0OKU ) a group of students reported finding fliers at a residence hall that listed several names, racial slurs and death threats.

UW-Parkside spokesman Dave Buchanan says police are maintaining a heightened presence all over campus. Police are also on duty indefinitely at the two residence halls in the evenings and requiring people to sign in.

The Kenosha County Sheriff's Department is investigating.

LINK

Stupid ignorant attention whores.

didn't really care much for this until I started arguing with some duder on facebook.

Didn't edit out my name because its on my profile.

n9eo3.png

I was wondering what GAF's reaction would be.

Mumei

didn't really care much for this until I started arguing with some duder on facebook.

Didn't edit out my name because its on my profile.

n9eo3.png

I was wondering what GAF's reaction would be.

My immediate reaction was that I hope for your sake that he isn't a friend of yours.

It's quite the catch-all word these days isn't it?

Being racist and hateful is just "trolling"?

Well I go to the school and its a pretty tolerant place. There aren't any rednecks or neo-nazis there. These are just kids trying to get attention/reactions (I assume at least). They aren't going to kill anybody. But than again these kids obviously don't have any respect or tolerance for anybody obviously. They should be punished.

But why don't we have a white history month?

March through January.

My immediate reaction was that I hope for your sake that he isn't a friend of yours.

He isn't.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Un-redact the dude who you were arguing with's name if he thinks people need to get thicker skin about being harassed and then given death threats. Oh, and then post it on 4 Chan.
3AQmK.gif

Loxley

Wait, Wisconsin? NOOoooooooo

I'm from Washington County, but still...I expect this kind of shit to come from Alabama, not my beloved dairy state :(

Fuck! That's my hometown. We're supposed to be better then this!

There are so many Kenosha country and Lake country GAF. I should organize a meet up.

What the fuck.

How do you even know tools who did this are even white?

I know that his post was a troll post, but being honest they probably were. Minorities, especially blacks, in this school often hang out with other minorities. Few are like me who jump between.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They probably were. Minorities, especially blacks, in this school often hang out with other minorities. Few are like me who jump between.

Wow, you're at Parkside? Crazy, I know a half a dozen people who went there, mostly in Theater.

This is weird for Kenosha though. Kenosha isn't exactly a whitebread city.

Riggs

Banned
Yeah, he was banned as I was typing that.

/kicks dirt

lol just picture you saying "Awww shucks" as you kick the dirt

But ya anyway racist ppl suck I just don't put up with them personally. Trying to change peoples minds got tiresome after to long.

You just get some misinformed/and-or angry, dumb drunk folks together and stupid shit happens. Just assuming they were drunk when they did this, who knows ..

Wow, you're at Parkside? Crazy, I know a half a dozen people who went there, mostly in Theater.

Ask ANY of them if they've seen a "Hispanic/Arab kid with the afro" they will know who I am if they walk down the halls the same time I do. I'm the only kid in the school with an afro.

In the outskirts it sorta is. I grew up in a small town right by Central High were most of those kids either go to Parkside or Whitewater. I constantly got weird looks from adults from being "Muzlim".

Emitan

Do they think this is okay? Do they look at this and think "Yeah, threatening to kill someone? Murder them? Make them commit suicide? This is totally something I want to look back on in 30 years and feel proud of."

Riggs

Banned
Do they think this is okay? Do they look at this and think "Yeah, threatening to kill someone? Murder them? Make them commit suicide? This is totally something I want to look back on in 30 years and feel proud of."

That comes with the assumption that they are thinking in the first place unfortunately : (

4f2c4b05b2503.image.jpg

Thats the noose.

:/ If that was hanging outside my dorm I would have not even thought about it being a noose. Just looks like a bunch of rubber bands knotted together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom