• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African science fantasy novel Who Fears Death getting HBO adaptation, GRRM producing

http://deadline.com/2017/07/who-fea...-r-r-martin-producing-author-says-1202126229/
HBO has optioned sci-fi fantasy novel Who Fears Death to develop as a series, with George R.R. Martin attached to executive produce, according to the book’s author Nnedi Okorafo.

Who Fears Death, published in 2010 by DAW, an imprint of Penguin Books, is set in a fictionalized post-apocalyptic future version of Sudan, where the light-skinned Nuru oppress the dark-skinned Okeke. The protagonist, Onyesonwu (Igbo for “who fears death”), is an Ewu, the child of an Okeke woman raped by a Nuru man. On reaching maturity, she goes on a quest to defeat her sorcerous father Daib using her magical powers.
bZ3dOTcl.jpg

jfkgoblue

Inb4 people complain about GRRM over extending himself and not working on ASOIAF. (I have personally given up on the idea of him finishing it so, it's meh to me)

This sounds incredibly interesting - it sounds like it mirrors some of the racial/religious tension that exists in Sudan/South Sudan (from what I remember from an African Politics class at Uni).

Fantastic to see a channel like HBO looking at material originating from Africa. Definately keen to check the novel as well.

besada

Banned
I haven't read this, but I loved her novellas Bindi and Bindi:Home, so I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

Lime

I really like Nnedi Okorafo's authorship (and the cover for Bhinti was amazing). I hope the TV series do her work justice.

Toxi

Banned
Nice, we need more fantasy media not based in medieval totally-not-the-UK-but-pretty-much-the-UK
It's kinda funny how the king of fantasy based in medieval totally-not-in-the-UK-but-pretty-much-the-UK is producing this.

The setting definitely sounds like an interesting combination of elements. I should read this.

It's kinda funny how the king of fantasy based in medieval totally-not-in-the-UK-but-pretty-much-the-UK is producing this.

The setting definitely sounds like an interesting combination of elements. I should read this.
HBO is also doing Lovecraft Country with Jordan Peele

I really don't want a white man telling this story. It already sounds like it's going to be some bull. Now I read this last year. I couldn't finish it because I was getting bored of it, but the third or fifth chapter (I forget which) has some real shit going on in it. The story is also very specifically black. The two main characters are mixed and are ostracized in their communities because of it.

It's also a very female story as well. The main character, Onyesonwu, has a strong bond with her mother and goes through a uhhh, I forgot what you call it. I don't know why I'm blanking on that word right now. If any of y'all are interested in reading it maybe I shouldn't mention it anyway. The story is also fantasy, not science-fiction at all. I don't know where they got that bullshit. It's magic all up in there. At one point she enters a living house, she seeks the local shaman to teach her juju and she's haunted by her white wizard father who raped her mother.

A black woman should very much take the helm of this. I would take a black man, but preferably a black woman.

The story is also fantasy, not science-fiction at all. I don't know where they got that bullshit. It's magic all up in there. At one point she enters a living house. She seeks the local shaman to teach her juju and she's haunted by her white wizard father who raped her mother.

A black woman should very much take the helm of this. I would take a black man, but preferably a black woman.
Given the post apocalyptic nature, I was assuming it's the far future "ancient technology that's basically magic now" style. But I havent read the book yet

Even though I got bored with this book a TV show could make it better with great visuals, more flowing dialogue and better pacing. For a while much shit wasn't happening. I don't necessarily care if the plot isn't moving forward if the character filler is interesting.

Given the post apocalyptic nature, I was assuming it's the far future "ancient technology that's basically magic now" style. But I havent read the book yet
I didn't finish the book, I think I got halfway through it, but I don't ever recall the year ever been mentioned and nah there's not really technology that could be called magic. They're doing shit with knives, books, and I think a goat. Hell, main transportation is by camel. I thought this was in modern day. I just remembered that they don't have tvs and stuff, but they have modern tools for surgery. I recall Onye asking why she couldn't be operated with the laser.

I haven't read this, but I loved her novellas Bindi and Bindi:Home, so I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

Same. But I've expressed this opinion before that I hope this doesn't become a situation where the fact that a black African speculative fiction writer was the brainchild for this is erased in favor of "From The Creator of Game of Thones" BS. Nnedi shouldn't be forgotten.

Same. But I've expressed this opinion before that I hope this doesn't become a situation where the fact that a black African speculative fiction writer was the brainchild for this is erased in favor of "From The Creator of Game of Thones" BS. Nnedi shouldn't be forgotten.

Unfortunately a tag line like that would get a lot of White eyeballs to give it a chance and watch it that may've normally passed on it because they couldn't "relate". Ultimately you want the show to be a success and seen by most people, especially if it's good.

Neat...but talk about out of nowhere.

I always figured HBO's next random surprise would take a page from their old Spawn misadventures and try for something like Artesia.

gdt

This seems really early to talk about this project. We all know how easy HBO shit cans projects.

Still I get the excitement. Good for her.

RS4-

casting call: looking for people of african decent that look like charlize theron.

Anyway, never heard of the book, but interested in it and the series.

So? We don't need them in the first place if a lot of black people turns them off. DWP didn't need to cater to them either and Black Panther doesn't either.

Nobody is saying you need to cater them. But letting people know that George R.R. Martin is involved in the project is good marketing to interest MORE people to give the series a chance. It doesn't mean the series has to be watered down or diluted or pandered to that audience or anything.

She's a professor in my English department, I need to make sure to congratulate her. Always excited when big things happen in the black community and even moreso if they're local.

Unfortunately a tag line like that would get a lot of White eyeballs to give it a chance and watch it that may've normally passed on it because they couldn't "relate". Ultimately you want the show to be a success and seen by most people, especially if it's good.

As long as it's not whitewashed, I'll consider it a huge success for Nnedi at least. Still don't buy into the "can't relate" argument from people who say it earnestly. People across the world including myself have believed, bought into the strife of and been emotionally moved by living toys, dogs and other animals, aliens, robots and demons because the key is to give them a "human" struggle to make them relatable and empathetic. People who say "I can't relate" when a person of color is the star are basically saying they don't believe a PoC could have human concerns, foibles and attributes like themselves IMO.

I managed to find the article I was thinking of, it was one of the author's earlier books. Terrifying that cover whitewashing is common enough that it takes moderate effort to sift out the specific instance you're looking for!

Wow! Talk about no shame in the whitewashing. SMH

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I posted, haha. I backed that dude's Kickstarter when it happened. The aesthetics are so good

Have you read it yet? If so, how is it so far?

qcf x2

This sounds very promising. And there will be more than just token black characters, so that's icing on the cake.

I managed to find the article I was thinking of, it was one of the author's earlier books. Terrifying that cover whitewashing is common enough that it takes moderate effort to sift out the specific instance you're looking for!

Christ. I remember this frustrating nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if multiple minority writers had at least one experience like this either for the cover, marketing or the contents of their book itself

Carn82

I'm in! I really hope to see a space opera with an Afrofuturist foundation one day

You might already know them, but I can recommend the Poseidon's Children trilogy by Alastair Reynolds.

Between 2012 and 2015 Reynolds released three novels set in a new universe called Poseidon's Children: Blue Remembered Earth (2012), On the Steel Breeze (2014), and Poseidon's Wake (2015).[7][8] The novels comprise a hard science fiction trilogy dealing with the expansion of the human species into the solar system and beyond, and the emergence of Africa as a spacefaring, technological super-state

Top Bottom