• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African science fantasy novel Who Fears Death getting HBO adaptation, GRRM producing

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Have you read it yet? If so, how is it so far?

Yep, I've read the first book and it's good, but very short with illustrations taking up most of each page (but they look great). He's making the 2nd book right now and hopefully it's a little longer, but I think he has quite a few installments planned. The characters are great and have great chemistry (kind of like Han & Leia), but the story isn't super meaty right now (but it's understandable since it's book 1 and he's introducing everything and everyone). I'd definitely recommend it if you're interested.

You might already know them, but I can recommend the Poseidon's Children trilogy by Alastair Reynolds.

Nope! Haven't heard of that one, but thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely look into it

Yep, I've read the first book and it's good, but very short with illustrations taking up most of each page (but they look great). He's making the 2nd book right now and hopefully it's a little longer, but I think he has quite a few installments planned. The characters are great and have great chemistry (kind of like Han & Leia), but the story isn't super meaty right now (but it's understandable since it's book 1 and he's introducing everything and everyone). I'd definitely recommend it if you're interested.

Cool, I've been eyeing his graphic novels for awhile since he came out with The Pack. I wanted to wait til there are a lot more issues before I jumped in a get a subscription.

You might already know them, but I can recommend the Poseidon's Children trilogy by Alastair Reynolds.

Oh! Thanks for this recommendation! Sounds awesome

She's a great writer. If you haven't read Binti and its sequel, do yourself a favour.

Third is available for preorder too. Glad that there seems to be a following for the series.

Thanks for the list!

Disney will make one, shit they might go whole hog and just make it one of the Star Wars spin-offs when they start doing multiple Star Wars films a year.

I seriously doubt Disney will ever make a black ass Star Wars movie

Black Panther is tailor made to be an afrofuture joint, even if Disney makes a Lando or Mace Windu movie, it wouldn't be the black ass affair that Black Panther is going to be

shit, you'd be better off hoping Finn isn't completely wasted and they get a woman of color in non throw away role besides Kelly Marie Tran

I liked Who Fears Death, meant to check out more of her writing and really happy her literature is getting picked up. I hope she has some input on casting and such.

I seriously doubt Disney will ever make a black ass Star Wars movie

Black Panther is tailor made to be an afrofuture joint, even if Disney makes a Lando or Mace Windu movie, it wouldn't be the black ass affair that Black Panther is going to be

shit, you'd be better off hoping Finn isn't completely wasted and they get a woman of color in non throw away role besides Kelly Marie Tran

If BP makes the mouse 10 different kinds of rich they might finally get "shit black folks spend money too!".

Lemme dream alright.

If BP makes the mouse 10 different kinds of rich they might finally get "shit black folks spend money too!".

Lemme dream alright.

Haha we can definitely all dream

But Disney knows that black folks spend money already, doesn't mean they're suddenly going to start think we actually like original stories and good films just because "Get Out" was successful

end of the day, there are some gatekeepers who don't want to put their money on black films, especially out of the box ones like sci-fi fantasy

Peele is going to have to make like 4 more "get out"'s before we see a huge shift, imo

SHOzAZW.gif

CDX

with George R.R. Martin attached to executive produce

I know GRRM has worked on TV shows before in the past, but I thought it was exclusively as a writer.

Has GRRM been a producer for any other show besides Game of Thrones?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sounds like some generic ass YA novel premise but since this is HBO and GRRM, I'm assuming it's more than that.

Head.spawn

That is awesome, I saw her first tweet saying she was just leaving the HBO office, somehow I missed this though. Looking forward to it, hopefully they do it justice.

choodi

Banned
Sounds like some generic ass YA novel premise but since this is HBO and GRRM, I'm assuming it's more than that.

You should assume it's more than that since she is one of the more exciting authors writing SciFi currently.

Pau

I've read her YA and it reads pretty differently from her more adult oriented stuff. (Not necessarily worse just very obviously aimed at younger audience.) Haven't read this novel in particular, but she is definitely a better writer than someone like Suzanne Collins if that's your worry.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
GRRM please stop taking on big new projects, jfc

I really don't want a white man telling this story. [...]
A black woman should very much take the helm of this. I would take a black man, but preferably a black woman.
He's not writing or directing, at least. I don't think you need to worry about that.

George R.R. Martin clarifies his role on his blog.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/542263.html

Who Fears Death?

Not me, for sure. I don't fear death a bit. But sometimes I fear the internet.

Yes, HBO is developing Nnedi Okorafor's novel WHO FEARS DEATH as a series.

Yes, I am attached to the project, as an Executive Producer.

I am pleased and excited to confirm that much. I met Nnedi a few years ago, and I'm a great admirer of her work. She's an exciting new talent in our field, with a unique voice. Even in this Golden Age of television drama, there's nothing like WHO FEARS DEATH on the small screen at present, and if I can play a part, however small, in helping to bring this project to fruition, I'll be thrilled.

As usual, however, the internet is blowing this story all out of proportion, at least in regards to my own participation.

I will be an Executive Producer on WHO FEARS DEATH but I will not be the Executive Produce, i.e. the showrunner. That's an important distinction. Should we move forward, there will be a number of Executive Producers, and probably some Co-Executive Producers and Supervising Producers and Producers as well. This is television.

I will not be writing the pilot script or adapting Nnedi's novel, and it's doubtful that I will write any episodes should we go to series. Look, I probably won't be writing episodes of ANY television shows until WINDS OF WINTER is done and delivered, and that goes for the five GAME OF THRONES successor shows as well. Other writers will be scripting those pilots, and the same is true for WHO FEARS DEATH. Last week we spent most of an afternoon interviewing some great young talents, in hopes of finding the right person to script the pilot. I was part of that process, and Nnedi was too. No deal yet, but we may have an announcement soon.

It should be stressed that this project is still in its early stages. There's a long road ahead. Pilot script, pilot order, series order. But the hope of everyone involved is that, by the end, we can produce something truly special.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, why would they do that?
Women of color (specifically Black women) have had to deal with the issue of erasure for a long time. Vice was stupid to not mention her name in the tweet, remove her name from the cover of the book AND show an image of only GRRM. Thank goodness George killed that bullshit almost immediately.

https://twitter.com/grrmspeaking/status/884901384008630272
@GRRMspeaking said:
I think journalism died the day the internet was born... @Nnedi's WHO FEARS DEATH is in development w/@HBO Read More ow.ly/5Ka630dyiy3

Women of color (specifically Black women) have had to deal with the issue of erasure for a long time. Vice was stupid to not mention her name in the tweet, remove her name from the cover of the book AND show an image of only GRRM. Thank goodness George killed that bullshit almost immediately.

https://twitter.com/grrmspeaking/status/884901384008630272

I'm dying at the first reply to George's tweet that says,"I think the death of Winds of winter is due to an author who does not write but tweet."

bengraven

I haven't read this, but I loved her novellas Bindi and Bindi:Home, so I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

I knew it was a matter of time before she got a movie or book deal. Her stuff is lying on my backlog since the last couple friends of the library sales in town and every time someone mentions how awesome her books are they go up one spot towards the top. Now I'm going to have to read this before the adaptation comes out.

Top Bottom