• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Age of Mythology: Retold is going to be the most approachable gamebuilt by the developers

Draugoth

Gold Member
239874_Wallpaper_Desktop_896x813.webp

The original Age of Mythology was developed by the now-defunct Ensemble Studios. Launching in 2002, it built on a number of ideas in the Age of Empires franchise by introducing God Powers, monsters, and heroes for players to command. In crafting Age of Mythology: Retold, the developers have worked to overcome the limitations the original game faced due to the hardware available at the time. One of the big calls made was to allow God Powers to be reused multiple times, instead of being the one-off abilities they are in the original game.

"When we approached this design, there was this thought in the back of our heads ‘Well now that we’re in the 2020s, what can we do?’

I mean, right off the bat, one of the big ones was reusable God Powers, because what could be cooler than having a multiplayer match where multiple God Powers are going off?" says Pirillo, adding that, "Something we saw is oftentimes in matches, because God Powers were single-use, they sometimes might not get used at all because you were saving it in the bank trying to find that perfect moment that may never come."

Pirillo notes that players would often abandon using myth units in the endgame of big matches, so the team worked to rebalance the Favor and Population caps in order to emphasize the mythological aspect of the game instead of having it feel like just another Age of Empires title.

“It was a lot of work that we needed to recreate and modernize for the current hardware,”

Yuen says, praising the original team at Ensemble while pointing out that setting off multiple God Powers with multiple Titans on the screen simply wouldn’t have been possible with the technology available over 20 years ago.

Source

DCDW

I enjoyed the initial release and was somewhat luke warm on returning, but I think I will buy this on release date. The $35 CAD price tag doesn't hurt. As someone mentioned above, I would love to see a AoM2.

Top Bottom