• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Mythology: Retold - Reviews Thread

LordOfChaos

Seems solidly good. Just played the first mission.

I'm really hoping this is successful enough to put an Age of Mythology 2 on the table after 22 years

amigastar

Graphics look better in Motion than on Screenshots and compressed yt videos. I really like it so far.
I like the water especially.

Last edited:

Insanemaelstrom

Neo Member
No OT thread for this? The game is as fun as I remembered. It even looks exactly as I remember in my nostalgia tinted goggles( mean it in a positive way). Although the Greeks are weaker than I remember them to be. Can't wait to try out norse and eqyptians.

amigastar

No OT thread for this? The game is as fun as I remembered. It even looks exactly as I remember in my nostalgia tinted goggles( mean it in a positive way). Although the Greeks are weaker than I remember them to be. Can't wait to try out norse and eqyptians.
Yep, i started playing through the campaign although it's supposed to have difficulty spikes which i don't like, but i'm playing on Medium/Normal difficulty.

Insanemaelstrom

Neo Member
Yep, i started playing through the campaign although it's supposed to have difficulty spikes which i don't like, but i'm playing on Medium/Normal difficulty.
I haven't started with campaign yet. Playing just customised skirmishes. I remember my kid self spamming cheats whenever things got slightly tough. Watching those poor enemy units die to a flying pig with a rainbow trail never got old.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I can't fucking wait.

2024 might actually turn out alright when it comes to RTS:

+ Sins of a Solar Empire II Steam release (and it's good!)
+ Age of Mythology: Retold (all signs point at it being good. Thank God)
- Homeworld 3 totally missed the point of what made a Homeworld game a Homeworld game. The rogue-like mode is alright.
Tempest Rising may be coming out this year as well.

Picked this up as I only ever played the demo of the original back in the day. I'm loving it, loads of fun and runs really well with ray tracing on mythical on my 3080.

LordOfChaos

Yeah it's funny, it looks modernized and all, but the way memories work it just looks how I remembered it from 22 years ago too lol

I’m really enjoying my playthrough of it. Always loved the game since I was a kid. One thing that has struck me about all the AoE/M remakes is the voice acting and casting decisions. The original voices seemed better suited for the characters, they spoke slower and more dramatically and just had a better sense of character. The voices today speed through lines, seem a little robotic, safe or even cheap character voices. Anyone else get that feeling?

LordOfChaos

I’m really enjoying my playthrough of it. Always loved the game since I was a kid. One thing that has struck me about all the AoE/M remakes is the voice acting and casting decisions. The original voices seemed better suited for the characters, they spoke slower and more dramatically and just had a better sense of character. The voices today speed through lines, seem a little robotic, safe or even cheap character voices. Anyone else get that feeling?

Yes, a lot of people have felt that way. They even re-recorded some of the actors voice lines after feedback from the beta.

There's probably some clash between older media giving things time and newer ones catering to ever shorter attention spans

Yes, a lot of people have felt that way. They even re-recorded some of the actors voice lines after feedback from the beta.

There's probably some clash between older media giving things time and newer ones catering to ever shorter attention spans
Good to know I was t the only one and I had no idea it was a topic or that they re-recorded some lines. Some of those lines just seem really dialed in or as if they grabbed just anyone from casting calls and said “here just say it.” After the first cutscene I immediately alt+tab’d and went back to ancient YouTube videos to compare the OGs to the Retold.

Top Bottom