• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Qaeda Intends to Strike NYC..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I still got this bad feeling this time,its like the boy who cried wolf...sooner or later its true.

ShadowRed

Banned
"Al Qaeda Intends to Strike NYC"

The no fucking shit Sherlock award goes to...

In other news Monday follows Sunday.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Hey its Cnn's headline :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well now would be the time with an election coming up...I hope things turn out ok. The last thing we need is a terrorist attack during an already controversial election. Poor NYC, I hope everyone up there stays safe.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
When DOES'NT Al Quada plan to strike? These newspaper articles get stupider and more reptitive each time.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Reading that article reminded me alot of "The Seige," with Bruce Willis. When I first saw the movie it seemed extremely unrealistic, but now it seems eerily real. The scene in which the terrorists drive their van with explosives into the FBI headquarters is something that I fear might be used as inspiration in a future attack.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
OH MY GOD NO SHIT, DO THEY ALSO PLAN TO FUCK 72 VIRGINS IN HEAVEN?

bush.jpg

BRING'EM ON!

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
What's wrong with CNN putting up an article like this? New York is always under threat, but it's good to have a reminder sometimes, to keep people on the look out. Last night within a 30 minute period of just walking around the city there were 4 seperate occasions (include myself) in which people were just walking on the sidewalk smoking blunts/joints/bowls. If people can feel so comfortable doing that, then I imagine making 1 trip to your car with a package, and then driving casualy into a building won't even make someone look twice untill it's too late.

Socreges

Banned
Sactown said:
What's wrong with CNN putting up an article like this? New York is always under threat, but it's good to have a reminder sometimes, to keep people on the look out. Last night within a 30 minute period of just walking around the city there were 4 seperate occasions (include myself) in which people were just walking on the sidewalk smoking blunts/joints/bowls. If people can feel so comfortable doing that, then I imagine making 1 trip to your car with a package, and then driving casualy into a building won't even make someone look twice untill it's too late.
I'm not making the connection. How would civilian paranoia prevent something like that?

Matrix

People who dont live in NYC just love to talk shit...yea the article is the usual reminder and so far nothing has happend again,but like Sactown said its better to let this info out then to keep it silent.This info has me a little more worried than usual cause of this arrest,these meetings taking place with the NYPD in the course of 2 days and the fact that they're talking about truck /car bombs.I pass over he GW bridge almost every weekend and all I ever see is one damn cop car,its pretty damn easy for these fuckers to drive right into the city :\

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Society said:
Why don't the terrorists threaten Texas? Hell they might get people on their side for that attack.

Too many weapons in Texas.... heck I could see WMD in Texas...

mj1108

MrPing1000 said:
Dem Terrorists like New York don't they?

It is the most popular tourist spot through the Al Queda Travel Agency.

Society said:
Why don't the terrorists threaten Texas? Hell they might get people on their side for that attack.

Which goes to show that not even the terrorists want Texas.... Maybe we can sell Texas to Iraq in exchange for oil?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Blah blah blah, same fucking story every month. "Uh oh, some important holiday or major political event is about to take place. Today CNN has learned that the American government has solid intelligence suggesting a major attack by some terrorist organization. While no timeframe or methodology details are currently known, and the nation's terror alert will remain at yellow for the time being, citizens are asked to be aware of suspicious activity."

Every. Fucking. Month.

andthebeatgoeson

Matrix said:
I still got this bad feeling this time,its like the boy who cried wolf...sooner or later its true.

I think that's the point. The administration will have a fall back.

'Well, we warned you. Now let's give more money to defense.'

Sactown said:
Reading that article reminded me alot of "The Seige," with Bruce Willis. When I first saw the movie it seemed extremely unrealistic, but now it seems eerily real. The scene in which the terrorists drive their van with explosives into the FBI headquarters is something that I fear might be used as inspiration in a future attack.

Uh, I think they figured out a better way. BTW, Timothy McVeigh perfected that plan a few years ago. Which was ripped off by 'The Seige'. And somehow, you want to blame the movie.

headscratch.gif

More scare tactics. 9/11 is the best thing that ever happened to the Bush administration.

Sadly, a lot of folks don't see the connection and how it's being used.

GG-Duo

Sactown said:

VERY true.
I saw this on television a couple weeks ago, and it eeriely parallels some of the things that have been happening for the last couple of years.

Good movie.

OmniGamer

kitchenmotors said:
More scare tactics. 9/11 is the best thing that ever happened to the Bush administration.

Sadly, a lot of folks don't see the connection and how it's being used.

I concur...fear=control. Sounds similar to something else. *Unscramble the bolded letters for the answer*

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
So, my significant other decides it's time for us to go on a vacation. The first week of September, we'll be in New York City for the US Open. We plan to visit all the tourist hot spots, may even slap a Republican or two on their way to the national convention, and will be taking public transportation much of the time.

Because of that, this type of story should send shivers down my spine. But... you know, we've been beaten over the head so often with these ambiguous "potential threats", that they're defeating the purpose of an alert system. So, I say fuck these warnings. Right in the ass.

Anyone recommend places to visit while in NY?

GodsTyro

its a conspiracy. unnamed elite politicians (and other such groups) are just using this as a way to rile support for the republican party and the upcoming convention in NYC.

Xenon

Its probably just more chatter and they just want to cover their ass if something does happen. I can't say I blame them. Since we live in a world where some people want to blame everyone except the parties who actually commit the act.

They say nothing and something happens. Their fault

They say something and nothing happens. They are creating hysteria. Their fault.

They keep warning us and finally something happens but everyone is desensitized to warnings. Their fault.

They're fucked no matter what they do or say.

demon

What the fuck is this "chatter" I keep reading about, and why can't I hear it?

OmniGamer

To me, it wouldn't make much since for them to try an attack during such an obvious time, when security is going to be heightened....it would create far more "terror" for them to attack on a completely random day.

This is going to be a crazy 4th quarter.

Xenon

Here ya go

The US Department of Homeland Security kickstarted the current terror alert when it raised its threat warning to orange, in response to an 'unprecedented increase in "chatter"' - the term used by intelligence officials to describe communication levels between suspected terror groups and individuals (4). But how reliable is 'chatter', as an indicator of terrorists' intentions or imminent action? Unlike human intelligence -which collects information through human contact with a terror group or enemy state, usually through infiltration - 'chatter', or signal intelligence, is collected by technical means, by using satellites to eavesdrop on phone conversations and email correspondence between suspected terrorists. Not surprisingly, such chatter often proves inadequate for those involved in counter-terrorism.

'Chatter is a descriptive term', says John Hamre, President of the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington. 'Much like when you walk into a room and there are many conversations underway, you can not clearly hear any complete conversation, only random pieces.' Hamre, who served as deputy secretary of defence under President Bill Clinton in the late 1990s, tells me that 'chatter also refers to background noise'. 'So as it relates to intelligence, chatter reflects a larger, though not necessarily a large, number of messages that have suspicious references, which appear related but with inadequate specific details…. Often the capacity to analyse these references is quite limited, so they are aggregated into general categories.'

andthebeatgoeson

Chatter was also supposed to be increased right before 9/11. Apparently, when terrorists and supposed terrorists start picking up the phone and emailing their buddies, it causes us to scamper and change colors. Just consider it what happens to your nerves when a few black guys start talking loud in a unsafe neighborhood. If you were there, you would instantly turn orange or possibly red.

That would be hilarious. Some white guy on the subway surrounded by a bunch of black guys and saying, "Uh, I'm at a orange alert due to 'chatter'."

Diablos

This is getting ANNOYING. I'm sick and tired of hearing about threats that do nothing but scare the public, and oh, by the way, ruin the credibility of the warning system (and the people behind it) each time they raise the level and nothing happens. There is going to be yet another press conference in like an hour or so. This is like the boy that cried wolf, people will just ignore warnings and then, something will happen and take them by surprise like 9/11 did...

demon

The only theory I'll buy that gives the govt any kind of credit is that, like someone above said, they're just covering their ass when they do hear "chatter" just in case something happens. Other than that, the only purpose this stupid fucking warning system serves is to keep people in a "terrified" state so that they'll be more supportive of the "war on terror" and those waging it.

The warnings aren't crying wolf - they're based on actual intelligence and risk factors. They came about because people outside Homeland Security wanted some awareness of what they knew. I think if it was entirely up to the Department, they'd be secretive about it - there's only so much showing your cards can accomplish.

The problem is that we have no way of knowing how many terror attacks have been stopped. It's probably a fair few, but even if that's true, they really can't reveal the details for obvious reasons.

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/US/new_york_city_terror_threat_040731-2.html

The sources tell ABC News that Wall Street firms may be among the targeted U.S. corporations based in New York City. Which corporations or how many may be targeted has not been revealed.

Particularly disturbing to authorities were the intelligence reports that the attack may involve one or more suicide truck bombings, a tactic never seen in the United States, but one widely used by terrorists elsewhere.

"I think they want to try and shake our psyche again," says Jerry Hauer, an ABC News consultant and former director of New York City's Office of Emergency Management. "And I think the easy types of attacks right now are car bombs, truck bombs."

Law enforcement officials acknowledge such bombs are extremely difficult to prevent.

As to the timing of any planned attack, sources say it could take place between now and Election Day in November.

XS+

Banned
The 'sequel to 911' (god forbid) will take place when the Terror Alert warning is Yellow or lower. How much you wanna bet.

Drensch

OMG!!!!!!!!! John Kerry Poll numbers up, roll out the fear mongering. I'd love to see a chart of these fear alerts transposed against bad news for Bush.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They just raised the terror threat level, but ONLY for financial sectors in Washington, DC, Northern New Jersey, and New York City.

Ridge also gave something of a lecture about how all this threat level and terror information business was possible only to the great efforts, domestically, militarily, and diplomatically, of the President.

Matrix

Drensch said:
OMG!!!!!!!!! John Kerry Poll numbers up, roll out the fear mongering. I'd love to see a chart of these fear alerts transposed against bad news for Bush.

Wheres the giant rolleyes when you need one?

Matrix

Drensch said:
It's needed for these constant fear infusions whenever Bush needs help.

So if Kerry gets in office he wont have any terror threat warnings? He will just sit on the info and homeland security will be worthless.

Amazing how you can take a terriost threat warning to specific places in NYC,Washington and NJ,not even the whole United States and turn it into a Bush needs votes thing.Hey guess what? 9/11 never happened here in NYC and nothing like that will ever happen again,its all politics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom