• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alphabet agrees to sell Boston Dynamics to SoftBank

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/8/1...n-dynamics-softbank-sale-acquisition-robotics

Google-owner Alphabet Inc. has agreed to sell robotics firm Boston Dynamics to SoftBank, the Japanese telecommunications and technology company. Terms of the deal remain undisclosed, but news of Alphabet’s intentions to sell Boston Dynamics first surfaced back in March 2016. That was roughly two years after Android co-founder Andy Rubin left Google, where he spearheaded a series of prominent robotics acquisitions, most prominently Boston Dynamics. That division, known internally as Replicant, was disbanded after Rubin’s departure, leaving the future of Boston Dynamics and the other robot companies in flux.

“We at Boston Dynamics are excited to be part of SoftBank’s bold vision and its position creating the next technology revolution, and we share SoftBank’s belief that advances in technology should be for the benefit of humanity,” said Marc Raibert, CEO and founder of Boston Dynamics, in a prepared statement. “We look forward to working with SoftBank in our mission to push the boundaries of what advanced robots can do and to create useful applications in a smarter and more connected world.”

“Today, there are many issues we still cannot solve by ourselves with human capabilities. Smart robotics are going to be a key driver of the next stage of the Information Revolution, and Marc and his team at Boston Dynamics are the clear technology leaders in advanced dynamic robots,” said SoftBank Group CEO Masayoshi Son, in a statement. “I am thrilled to welcome them to the SoftBank family and look forward to supporting them as they continue to advance the field of robotics and explore applications that can help make life easier, safer, and more fulfilling.”

Insert epic gundam / evangelion memes here

Dynomutt

Softbank will be stable as fuck.
DkYZEn.gif

sant

Alphabet looked like they had all the pieces to make an actual robot work, Deepmind, Project Tango, Google's databases, voice recognition.

I wonder why they didn't try and make it work

Desperado

That was roughly two years after Android co-founder Andy Rubin left Google, where he spearheaded a series of prominent robotics acquisitions, most prominently Boston Dynamics. That division, known internally as Replicant, was disbanded after Rubin’s departure, leaving the future of Boston Dynamics and the other robot companies in flux.

I see what you did there, Rubin/Google...

SRG01

Alphabet looked like they had all the pieces to make an actual robot work, Deepmind, Project Tango, Google's databases, voice recognition.

Because these kind of robots don't really make money unless it's defense related... even iRobot dealt in military applications before selling that branch off. Bad optics for a vacuum company, methinks.

Same, they bought a robotic company for ever peice of a human looking robot...then did nothing. Surely a iRobot like butler/emt/something would sell gangbusters in 20 years.

That ReCode interview with Alphabet CFO Ruth Porat comes to mind. Kara asks her about BD and Potatoes gives a non answer lol.

Yoda

For all the hype around automation, it's strange seeing a company like Google exiting the space.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm curious to why google offloaded this after 3.5 years.
Must be a stinker or it doesn't fit with their produce plan.

superbeau

Neo Member
Do I sound super-nationalistic if I hate how much of our future innovations and infrastructure we're selling to foreign companies, because I don't want to.

But man SoftBank is really on fire lately

K' Dash

Boston Dymamics is a project I would write blank cheques year after year, and knowing googles infinite pockets, that would mean chump change.

I wonder what happened?

Opto

Banned
"What do you mean you can't fuck the robots"

But really, they call themselves Replicant? Wtf is with companies just diving head first into cyberpunk dystopian names. Elon Musk's going to rename SpaceX to Weyland Yutani at this rate

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Boston Dymamics is a project I would write blank cheques year after year, and knowing googles infinite pockets, that would mean chump change.

I wonder what happened?

Nothing happened. They are very open with it, they wanted to sell them because they don't believe they will have a marketable product in the next decade. And now they sold them.

You wake up in your small and cloistered apartment, you try to keep things clean but it's still a mess.

You walk groggily to the bathroom, as you move the apartment lights activate, your apartments AI greets you "Good Morning Herr Schwarz san, did you sleep well?"

You finish brushing your teeth and begin to make your morning coffee.

"Hey baby, how are you today?" Your girlfriend, sat on the kitchen counter, long raven black hair wearing an office shirt and a slim fitting bra underneath, with just small dark panties as her bottoms.

She looks at you subtlety, slyly and beckons you over.

You roughly grab your sweet love and thrust yourself into her "that feels good herr schwarz san, faster please"

Your excitement reaches it's climax just as your coffee hits the boil.

A loud sucking noise, like that of an airplane toilet being flushed emanates from your girlfriend. "I'm 100% clean now Herr Schwarz san, would you like me to go into sleep mode until your next need?"

"Yes please" you say as you finish up your morning coffee, ready to start the day. As isolated and alone as you ever were or ever will be.

suaveric

That's weird, I thought they sold them a few years ago. What ever moonshot they were going after must not have worked out.

Top Bottom