• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright, let us debate sci-fi tv shows. Your top 3; educate us!

If you were to recommend 3 sci-fi tv series for people to watch what would they be and why?

Educate us; and maybe we will all discover something new to watch.

Any dark horse picks you would also recommend?

Hrk69

Gold Member
Andor
Black Mirror
Dark
Fringe
Person of Interest
The X-Files
The Expanse
Tales From The Loop
The Man In The High Castle
Severance
Silo
angry the big lebowski GIF

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Battlestar Galactica (2004)
Dark
Stranger Things

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt some solid choices in your list

Battlestar Galactica (2004) is another show I loved

Have to watch the Stargate shows sometime.

Dark is Top 3 Sci Fi for me though

Lost
Stranger Things
Black Mirror

I love Lost but I consider that more Fantasy than Sci Fi

For All Mankind is another one I'll be watching soon. I hope its consistent in it's quality throughout

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Expanse: as real space physics as we are gonna get

Rick and Morty taking a sci-fi concept as far as it could possibly go

Farscape Truly alien aliens

Special mention Babylon 5 for awesome space battles

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Both "Dark Matter" shows.
Is there a third out there - seems to be a solid title.
Millennium - off shoot of xfiles that was better than xfiles.

Last edited:
So many choices…

Futurama
Star trek
Smallville
Lost
Xfiles
Star Wars clone wars
Babylon 5
Farscape
Battlestar
Ancient aliens
Roswell
Buffy/angel
Red dwarf
Expanse
Firefly
Eureka
Fringe
Cowboy bebop
Dr who
Mandalorian
Dead zone
Resident alien
Twilight zone
stargate
12 monkeys

So many choices…hmmm…

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

80's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Altered Carbon

Orphan Black

Provoke unorthodox open ended introspective questions.

Altered Carbon especially since Sleeves were an example of the certain technological future of the West(without the dystopian aspects of the fiction) in Moscovian woke mind virus propaganda.

Last edited:
My picks:

1st). - Xfiles
2nd). - Star Trek DS9

3rd) (tie) Twilight Zone, Cowboy Bebop, or 12 Monkeys. (Take your pick).

Dark Horse: Ancient Aliens

Narrowing to 3 is pretty tough.

The Expanse
Battlestar Galactica (2004)
X-Files

honorable mention
Three Body Problem (the Chinese version)

Disclaimer: I like grounded sci-fi with MacGyver mindset (no space shenanigans).

3. Quantum Leap
- A time traveler leaps between the bodies of people in his lifetime trying to prevent horrible events from transpiring. To accomplish this divine task he uses the guidance of a team of observers and AI from the future that communicate with him through a messenger that appears in the form of a hologram only he can perceive. The character is put into both dangerous and humourosly over his head situations without warning. Yet, with a little help he triumphs through ingenuity, conviction, and a great deal of luck.

2. Revolution - Estranged relatives of scientists that caused the world to fall apart by causing a perpetual energy outage try to survive and change the world as they search for one another after tragedy strikes. The show realizes a post-apocalyptic landscape with nuanced characters, settings, and relationships while always advancing the plot in interesting ways.

1. Sliders - An amateur scientist strands his best friend, professor, and a has-been Motown star on a parallel Earth with no way back during a demonstration of his new invention. They end up traveling between different Earths with historical alterations trying to survive and make it back home. The group of travelers faces unique challenges in unknown yet familiar places which have their own ideologies and ways of doing things.

Last edited:

kevboard

it was mentioned before, but

Sliders:
I love "what if" scenarios. and no premise can beat constant universe hopping each episode when it comes to that.
while the show loses a lot of steam during Season 4, rhe first 3 seasons are amazing.

Stargate SG1:
a Scifi show set in the present (well, actually the past, technically speaking), that still doesn't lack any of the space adventures you'll get in ones that are set centuries in the future.

the fact that it is set in the 21st century makes the whole scenario more relatable, and tangible.

really good "monster of the week" episodes, and also a really good ongoing narrative and bad guys. the main cast is instantly iconic, especially Teal'c...
The Next Generation Star GIF

last but not least,
Stargate Universe:

a more dramatic and intimate show,
with a great performance of Robert Carlyle as Dr. Rush, where the crew of a planetary base needs to evacuate due to being attacked.
they use the planet's energy to dial a 9 chevron gate address they found, and evacuate through the Stargate.
after doing this they find themselves on board of the Destiny, an old spaceship built by the Ancients.

they are cut off from earth and don't know where in the universe they are.

they now need to make the ship their new home until they find a way back.

sadly, the show was cancelled after 2 seasons and ends on a cliffhanger :(

Last edited:

dorkimoe

just 3 is tough

Dark
battlestar 2004
LOST (if this isnt sci fi enough ill add another)
3 body problem

dark horse. Jericho

Last edited:

Alandring

1 : The Expanse
2 : none.
3 : none.

Runners-up : Battlestar Galactica (too many boring episodes), Altered Carbon (season 1 is really great, season 2 is awful), Westworld (season 1 is a masterpiece, season 2 is great, season 3 is one of the worst I ever watch).

it was mentioned before, but

Sliders:
I love "what if" scenarios. and no premise can beat constant universe hopping each episode when it comes to that.
while the show loses a lot of steam during Season 4, the first 3 seasons are amazing
I actually think the show has great episodes in every season. The caveat being that with the exception of one episode ("Mother and Child" in Season 4) whenever Kromaggs make an appearance everything that is great about the show is sidelined and they become more prominent in the show over time. As blasphemous as it may sound, one of my favorite episodes in the show is in season 5 ("New Gods For Old"). Season 4 also has some interesting episodes like "World Killer" and "My Brother's Keeper".

Lunarorbit

This isn't in my Top 3 but just watch the new Terminator zero anime. Pretty good. If there was a thread about it I missed it

Last edited:
Top Bottom