• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright, let us debate sci-fi tv shows. Your top 3; educate us!

BillMaxwell

Neo Member
If you were to recommend 3 sci-fi tv series for people to watch what would they be and why?

Educate us; and maybe we will all discover something new to watch.

Any dark horse picks you would also recommend?
Babylon five - best multi-season arc ever and incredible world building and character study.

DS9 - best of the Star Trek franchise, though I also love TOS and TNG. Strange New Worlds is the best of the new Trek.

Battlestar Galactica (Ron Moore version).

Dark horse - Person of Interest. It has one of the best intros ever to explain the premise.

You are being watched. The government has a secret system — a machine — that spies on you every hour of every day. I know, because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people. People like you. Crimes the government considered irrelevant. They wouldn't act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us. But, victim or perpetrator, if your number's up, we'll find you.”

Others: Caprica (the prequel to BSG), Dollhouse (Joss Wheadon’s most adventurous work), Alphas.

StueyDuck

Sci-fi encompasses too much to just list three you'd have to break down into further categories like weird science, pseudo science, predictive science even something like comedic science.

like weird science you have Severance, X-files, From

Pseudo science would be like foundation, raised by wolves, limitless (tv show wasn't too bad).

you could even put Eureka down as comedic science, better off ted is another.

So i guess you'd have to be a bit more specific.

BillMaxwell

Neo Member
I liked Warehouse 13 as comedic SF. I did not like the crossover they did with Eureka, which turned me off from starting Eureka.

bitbydeath

Agent of Shield peaked when Ward died and it hasn't been good since 👀
Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

Anth916

Neo Member
Battlestar Galactica (2004)
Black Mirror
Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Firefly

Special Mention: Heroes (2006)

I like Sliders & X-Files too, but man... those are pretty old. Might as well throw in The Twilight Zone if we're going back that far, lol

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I like that you excluded Star Trek and Star Wars. It might have made more sense to do that
Glad you didn't. Gives a sense of opinions when they're rated in an open list like this against all other science fiction.
I enjoy both a lot but consider them largely fantasy-science fiction(the occasional outlier ep) in the same manner as MCU, rather than fantasy to explore fictional science dilemmas

TrueLegend

3 Body Problem
Almost Human
Altered Carbon Season 1
Andor
Battlestar Galactica (2004)
Black Mirror
Dark
Fringe
Person of Interest
Severance
Silo
Star Wars The Clone War (2008)
The X-Files
The Expanse
Tales From The Loop
Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles
The Man In The High Castle
You got average taste so let me refine for OP since you broke the rules.

01. Battlestar Galactica
02. Andor
03. Person of Interest

Avoid if you don't like dumb writing even if there is great spectacle

01. Altered Carbon
02. 3 Body Problem
03. Takes from the Loop

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You guys really consider Andor sci fi? My brain doesn't classify Star Wars as sci fi at all. Same with Firefly.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
You got average taste so let me refine for OP since you broke the rules.

01. Battlestar Galactica
02. Andor
03. Person of Interest

Avoid if you don't like dumb writing even if there is great spectacle

01. Altered Carbon
02. 3 Body Problem
03. Takes from the Loop

I haven't watched lot of Sci Fi shows

I did specify that I only include Altered Carbon Season 1. As for 3 Body Problem, loved the books and I read the books before I saw the show. I thought the show did a good job so far of adapting the books. I enjoyed Tales From The Loop so don't get what your issues are with the show. And calling my tastes average is funny when that's just subjective

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

My Two Cents

Last edited:

TrueLegend

I haven't watched lot of Sci Fi shows

I did specify that I only include Altered Carbon Season 1. As for 3 Body Problem, loved the books and I read the books before I saw the show. I thought the show did a good job so far of adapting the books. I enjoyed Tales From The Loop so don't get what your issues are with the show. And calling my tastes average is funny when that's just subjective

My Two Cents
Fine I will give you leeway on Altered Carbon. Season 1 was overall good. But 3 body problem are you serious, the lord and his 7 disciples who are in same friend group with its you it's you it's always you by LDR, really this show was like pure spectacle over substance. And I have heard the books are even worse somehow in this particular case.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Fine I will give you leeway on Altered Carbon. Season 1 was overall good. But 3 body problem are you serious, the lord and his 7 disciples who are in same friend group with its you it's you it's always you by LDR, really this show was like pure spectacle over substance. And I have heard the books are even worse somehow in this particular case.

Really? I loved the books and love the Sci Fi concepts the author went into. So there's that..

NahaNago

I'd go with Stargate sg1, andromeda, and sliders. I like my sci- fi to not be that serious and a bit of an adventure at the same time. Stargate Atlantis was also good.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I've always been partial to Lexx... show has been completely forgotten.

p2ajmjjo0z0bz0bj.jpg

Others I like:

Star Trek TOS and TNG
Firefly
Battlestar Galactica (1978 series, not that shitty reboot)
Doctor Who (up to a point...)

Last edited:

sudolicious

02. 3 Body Problem

Have you watched the Netflix or the Chinese version? Have you read the books? I don't mean this to be antagonising, I'm just saying that because the Netflix version is hard to watch, to say the least. It's made by the two guys behind GoT, D&D, so that should explain a lot.

I haaated the Netflix show, but I loved the concept. I wanted to drop the show multiple times and was glad when it was over, but I wanted more from that world. I'm not a book reader, so I went on to watch the Tencent version. It certainly has its issues and you have to deal with the sound of the chinese language, but if you can come to terms with that it's imo quite amazing. I'm a weeb though and not unfamiliar with asian dramas and such in general, so I have a tolerance for some of that stuff that others might not have. I actually grew quite fond of the characters, highly enjoyed it.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Which Ward?

ward-brett-dalton.gif

I'm a fan of Hydra Ward and his dead body being possessed by Hive Ward. So when they finally got rid of him, the show got super boring to me. I always found him to be the only good character from the show. I'm glad they never redeemed him and he stayed a villian throughout the show. I had lot of issues with the show but he was the standout. I can't stand the rest of the cast

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Stargate SG-1
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Altered Carbon

One of these days I'm gonna to have to rewatch Ghost In The Shell SAC. It's my favorite anime and it has one of the best English Dubs out there. It's just too bad that they botched the official Blu-ray release. I'm happy I never got rid of my DVD set of both seasons

Fat Adama from Battlestar was honestly one of the funniest, out of left field things I think I've ever seen in a show

Nothing has topped it since!

xIuYWf2.jpeg

Oh yeah I remember this. I was cracking up everytime he showed up. He really let himself go 👀

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I am almost too afraid to ask... but what did they do to the Blu-Ray release?

The American bluray release has a lot of issues which are subtitles for the dub only, English dub switches to Japanese at random points, video is at the wrong frame rate. If you can, get the Japanese or Korean releases

I'm glad I held onto my DVD boxset of both seasons

Last edited:

Hudo

The American bluray release has a lot of issues which are subtitles for the dub only, English dub switches to Japanese at random points, video is at the wrong frame rate. If you can, get the Japanese or Korean releases

I'm glad I held onto my DVD boxset of both seasons
Good to know. I might consider getting the Japanese release, then! Thanks for the warning!

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Babylon 5 - great story and characters with set ups in season one that pay off all through the show.

TNG - great show and the introduction of the borg. Which Star Trek has worn out now.

Firefly. One season all killer.

Is Brisco county JR sci fi. I enjoy it too.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Babylon 5 - great story and characters with set ups in season one that pay off all through the show.

TNG - great show and the introduction of the borg. Which Star Trek has worn out now.

Firefly. One season all killer.

Is Brisco county JR sci fi. I enjoy it too.

I still need to watch all those old Star Trek Shows: The Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine. I heard those are all great

Top Bottom