• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I going to kill my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

Ok so one of my hard drives is loud as hell, and I figure if it's not in use then why should it be screwing my right ear? If I were to set power management to turn it off after, say, 3 minutes of idle, would I wear it out too much faster by having it turn on and off so many times throughout the day? Or maybe extend its life by saving it the wear and tear of constantly spinning? I'm really trying to find a solution to quiet it down, and having it shut down when not in use seems to be the best solution so far...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
once is starts making abnormal noises, its pretty much all over.
How old is it?

goodcow

Suikoguy said:
once is starts making abnormal noises, its pretty much all over.
How old is it?

Not true, my old Western Digital 13GB (ironic, isn't it?) drive made a power up/down click noises about three times a day for over a year, and worked fine. I eventually outgrew it and gave it to a friend who is using it to this day, three or four years later, with no problems, and the noise continues.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The bad noise is the "marble bouncing" noise.

If its just generally spinning up kind of loud, it might be fine. I reckon you will be fine having it power save.

Thaedolus

It's only a year or two old, it's a WD 80 GB 7200 RPM with 8 MB cache. It's not really an abnormal noise, it's just kind of piercing, and having it on all day long is pretty annoying. I just got a 160 GB HDD about a month ago and it's, thankfully, silent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom