• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Plans $1bn Blockbuster TV Series Based On Chinese Sci-Fi Trilogy 'The Three-Body Problem'

llien

Amazon is reportedly likely to earmark $1 billion for a television series (Warning: source paywalled, alternative source) based on the ultra-popular Chinese science fiction trilogy The Three Body Problem. The American video subscription service will likely acquire the rights to the Yugo-winning, extremely popular trilogy of novels written by Liu Cixin and produce three seasons of episodes. The rights to the trilogy are currently owned by Lin Qi, the chairman of Youzu Interactive, a Chinese developer and publisher that typically focuses on online and mobile games.

Slashdot

Chinese "The Three Body Problem" novel won a HUGO award in 2015

Notable mention: "three body problem" equation describing movement of a particle influenced by gravitational field of two other bodies that are fixed in space. Formulated by L. Eueler back in 1760.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
1 billion?!

Is there an English translation of these books? I’ve never heard of them, but now I am curious.

finowns

Why would it take 1 billion? I read like half of the first book and stopped, it was interesting.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
is this going to be filled up with trash wire-roped flying in the sky martial arts too, like every other popular chinese movie?

KonradLaw

The price tag seems extreme, but if they think it will give tchem strong foothold in China it might be worth it.

Never heard of the book but the plot on Wikipedia sounds like it could be something truly amazing.

That’s the budget needed to make 4 mega blockbuster movies. But to try to be a viable competitor to Netflix and HBO Now, to make it one of the must have streaming services, and to give amazon a foothold in China, I totally get why it would be worth it.

Top Bottom