• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Some enthusiasts may want to have another look at the product placement of the Ryzen CPUs, because there are arguments which continue to be brought up that seem to be in direct opposition to that.

If it's a misunderstanding or misinterpretation of AMD's marketing, that's fine (particularly given some of their challenges on that front, or ill-advised decisions they have made in certain areas).

If it's a matter of being willfully ignorant of the actual product stack at it relates to competition, then they would be doing a disservice to others who may be less technically inclined and are simply looking for honest assessments of the parts being discussed.

The notion that Ryzen 7s are particularly expensive is puzzling, as it seems to ignore the 6c/12t and 8c/16t Intel parts they're primarily targeted at, along with the overall platform costs. Quite simply, if people have not made such arguments against the 5960X, 6900K and the like in comparison to Devil's Canyon, Skylake and Kaby Lake, I fail to see how most of those same arguments can now be made against the R7s. That's even taking into consideration the immature state of software and hardware support.

The comparison of the 7700K to the 1700, while logical in many regards, is still faulty. Although similarly priced and shown in AMD's own materials, notice how the productivity and multi-tasking angle of the 1700 was often highlighted, even more so than the 2 higher-end models. The other two seem to have a greater focus on gaming material from AMD as they are closer in clock speeds, IPC, and cores to their Intel counterparts. The company showed their fair share of 7700K vs 1700 gaming benches, but how often did they describe it as beating the top Kaby Lake/DC/Sky 4c/8t parts in gaming? As far as I can tell, that AMD-made comparison is mostly born from the price points, and potential conquest sales for those who do more than game and could benefit from the increased threads, over the increased frames the higher clocked 4-cores would provide in games that benefit from IPS the most.

Haswell-E/Broadwell-like IPC is nice, though no informed person would have you believe that alone can overcome higher stock clocks in the the instances where moderately-threaded IPS makes the most difference.

Notice how often streaming, productivity and multi-tasking is brought up by AMD when the 1700 was shown alongside the 4-cores (and a few instances of it being compared to the "entry level" 6-cores).

am4bfu43.png

In other news...

I've had an 8c/16t Intel build for a while. It's fast, games well and chews up most everything I throw at it.

I've had an 8c/16t AMD build since NDA lifted. It's fast, games well and chews up most everything I throw at it.

The two systems have matching cases and run quiet under air cooling, though I may slap a 360 rad on the Ryzen shortly. I'd be interested in knowing how Windows Task Manager displays the cores/threads arrangement and whether I'm misunderstanding it, or it may change when Windows is patched for Ryzen.

As is, the Intel generally spreads the loads as you'd expect across all 16 threads. Unless I'm very mistaken the AMD seems to be using 4 cores primarily, and then generating additional threads across on those same the 4 main core's logical threads. So in effect using SMT before the remaining physical cores have been used.

Even in un-patched OS form I'm going to assume it's likely due to the CCX configuration and may be an error on my part... Again, I'm busy and haven't had a great deal of time to test multiple games and apps to observe this further. I don't know if any reviews or owners have mentioned this, it simply looks different in how it scales from ~4-16 threads. *shrug*

Random thoughts:

- The photo above is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 AM4 kit I have, along with the AM4 kit for my Phanteks PH-TC14PE dual tower HSF (notice the dual notches in the bracket for AM3+ use as well).

- I've changed nearly nothing in the BIOS. The system turbos into 4.1GHz XFR on its own. Chooses a core, then hits 4.1GHz. By far, it's more likely to hit XFR range on a given core than it is to hit the normal 4GHz max turbo.

- Clean Win 10 install which I haven't yet set to the recommended "High Performance" profile — along with CCX possibly confusing Windows (or this user), the usage I mentioned above could simply be due to core-parking.

- Noctua have sent my AM4 kit for my NH-D15. If I ever get around to it (**doubtful**) I may do some comparisons against the Phanteks since results between the two can vary depending on what kind of die each one is cooling.

- Cryorig told me their kit is not complete, but they'll send it to me once it's available. Currently cooling that Intel rig mentioned above anyway.

- I'd say average all core turbo would be ~3.7GHz. but I need to look into that further.

- As a general rule, we'd all do well spending less time fighting pro or against random tech companies who are not our friends, and simply enjoying products. I usually have at least 1 CPU and GPU from each vendor, plus the 3 main consoles. It's better that way (for me) and not all that expensive depending on your circumstances.

Considering that the 360 was a tri core CPU and the PS3 was technically an 8 core CPU, and that neither became anywhere close to being normal, assuming that PC CPUs will follow console CPUs is a dumb assumption.

And besides, you wouldn't need 8 cores, you just need 8 threads. Which, again, is what Ryzen 3 will provide.

The difference this time is that consoles and PC now share the x86 architecture so any work to utilize multicore in consoles should work for PC as well.

The PS3 is something else entirely different.

Renekton

Considering that the 360 was a tri core CPU and the PS3 was technically an 8 core CPU, and that neither became anywhere close to being normal, assuming that PC CPUs will follow console CPUs is a dumb assumption.

And besides, you wouldn't need 8 cores, you just need 8 threads. Which, again, is what Ryzen 3 will provide.
To be fair, the PS360 forced developers to do more multi-threading from our core2 days and here we are.

Also remember that the PS4 and XB1 use ultra low power mobile cores.
PS4X1 games do run at 20-30fps with reduced settings, so extrapolate that for 60-144hz and higher settings.

PS4 and XB1 have 7 cores for use in gaming, so you might think that's what console devs will design their engines for, but multithreading design doesn't necessarily work in that way. If they can find parallel workloads, those may or may not scale beyond a certain thread count, but the main thread is likely to always be the main bottleneck. I don't have much knowledge of how console thread count relates to PC with hyperthreading though, so it's hard to say if 4 core 8 thread CPU would be equal to console 8 core in terms of engine optimization. Of course modern engines like UE4, Frostbite etc are likely to be just threaded as well as they can be to n cores, regardless of how many threads consoles have, so 6-7 cores is probably no magic number.

I've made my choice though, I went with Asus PRIME Z270-A + Intel 7700K + G.Skill 3200MHz DDR4 combo I got for 650€, which should be enough for at least until Zen 2. In hindsight it would've been better time upgrade with 5820K or 6700K, but back then I didn't have the money to throw at it. Now I can take a bit of a loss in value these parts might take, but I know I'm getting the best performance in some of the very poorly coded games that care nothing about the extra threads 1700 has.

IMO what the 1700 is theoretically in gaming is well illustrated by this:

...and what the current harsh reality can be in actual games:

All I can hope is by Zen 2 AMD has actually achieved its full potential and game performance will reflect the upper graph, but right now the lower graph situation is likely to hold in many games, usually in the ones that most need the performance.

...and what the current harsh reality can be in actual games:

Something to take into account is that those 1% low FPSes of Ryzens CPU are way better than those i3 and the i5 6600k (and even the 7600k in 2 cases) which most likely means smoother experience.

I fully expect that after the software issues are fixed, that would be even better.

Speaking of which, I am curious how long it will take for MS to finalise and publish the fixes for their OS. Last time it took 2 months for their fixes for Bulldozer to come out. (and then some more fixes after that)

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Lets be serious here.

The need to benchmark CPUs @ 720p 1080p is born to address two questions and two questions only
- How these cpus fare in todays game engines
- To emulate how the next generations of videocards will behave @ 1440p and 4K with these cpus
The test is however a delightful paradox, in which they are valid and yet invalid at the same time.

- You will learn how the cpus will behave in todays games currently and forever (unless they are updated)

- You will fail to learn how the cpus will behave 2 years from now. Game development is not static. Never was never will. Don't pretend it is.

The only conclusion you can gather from 720p 1080p benchmarks is directly dependent on your personal habits: How long will you play todays games and how long you keep your CPU's. As such, the Ryzen value for gaming will both be good and bad depending on you, and both opinions are valid and honorable.

ezodagrom

·feist·;231623315 said:
This is a gaming oriented forum, so it's only natural that discussions lean towards gaming.
It's been said over and over that these CPUs are great for productivity, no one is saying otherwise.

You're kinda missing the point though, it's not just that Ryzen underwhelms in gaming in general, it's that Ryzen even underwhelms in games that make good use of multi-threading, which is where Ryzen was expected to shine gaming wise.

Also the Ryzen that will target gaming prices, the 1600X, will have the same clocks as the 1800X, so we can get somewhat of an idea of how the 1600X will behave in gaming when looking at the 1800X's results.

On another note, in my last post I also said that the 1600X is the best oportunity for AMD to turn around the current first impressions that we have on gaming with Ryzen, so they better have some fixes ready before then, otherwise Ryzen is really not gonna have a good gaming reputation, I think.

You're kinda missing the point though, it's not just that Ryzen underwhelms in gaming in general, it's that Ryzen even underwhelms in games that make good use of multi-threading, which is where Ryzen was expected to shine gaming wise.

This is also missing the point...

Windows isn't using the cores because it hasn't been updated to use AMD's version of Hyperthreading. Intel CPUs had the exact same issue when they rolled out HT.

It's assuming the logical cores are physical and creating artificial bottlenecks.

ezodagrom

This is also missing the point...

Windows isn't using the cores because it hasn't been updated to use AMD's version of Hyperthreading. Intel CPUs had the exact same issue when they rolled out HT.

It's assuming the logical cores are physical and creating artificial bottlenecks.
Maybe I should have put "as of now" in quotes and bolded, didn't think I had to say that again. <-<;

So, as of now, Ryzen underwhelms in games that make good use of multiple threads. Better?

Also I guess you missed the part where I say that AMD better have fixes ready by the time the 1600X launches so they can change the current first impressions.

Vipu

Banned
the difference is that the ps4 and xbox one both have 8-core CPUs. 8 core cpus will likely become the norm .

And they have had 8 cores for many years, still not using those cores on pc.
It doesnt have anything to do what will happen in next few years.

Am I wise to get a Ryzen 1700? I'll be using my rig primarily for creation - 3D modelling and rendering, VFX, digital art and game development - but also for gaming, most likely at 1080p/1440p and 60fps where possible. Bearing in mind I'm most likely to play less demanding titles anyway, like DOTA 2, but will also pick up GTA V and Battlefield 1.

I just see those extra cores as invaluable for digital simulation and rendering, especially at this price point.

Thoughts?

Something to take into account is that those 1% low FPSes of Ryzens CPU are way better than those i3 and the i5 6600k (and even the 7600k in 2 cases) which most likely means smoother experience.

I fully expect that after the software issues are fixed, that would be even better.

Speaking of which, I am curious how long it will take for MS to finalise and publish the fixes for their OS. Last time it took 2 months for their fixes for Bulldozer to come out. (and then some more fixes after that)

The 1% lows are certainly a great example of how 4 threads these days just isn't enough, even if plenty of people still believe that 7600K is nearly as good as 7700K just by looking at average FPS in many games.

SMT problems will be fixed eventually, but if you go through how many games are actually affected by the regression, it's only some titles having significant problems.

I think we'll see first improvements as soon as Ashes of the Singularity gets their update out. They should be the prime example of how Ryzen can scale, but right now the results are not flattering. The update should show how much a dev can do if they put in the effort.

Übermatik;231626695 said:
Am I wise to get a Ryzen 1700? I'll be using my rig primarily for creation - 3D modelling and rendering, VFX, digital art and game development - but also for gaming, most likely at 1080p/1440p and 60fps where possible. Bearing in mind I'm most likely to play less demanding titles anyway, like DOTA 2, but will also pick up GTA V and Battlefield 1.

I just see those extra cores as invaluable for digital simulation and rendering, especially at this price point.

Thoughts?
Yeah, you sound like the perfect customer for that CPU.

ezodagrom

Übermatik;231626695 said:

Thoughts?
A focus on productivity and doing some light gaming, the 1700 really seems great for that.
Gaming wise things can still get better depending on what fixes happen in the future, but even as it is now it's not terrible, it's rather decent (just a bit underwhelming, though that can change since there's clear issues going on).

Vipu

Banned
Also current consoles are running 8 core Jaguars and as such even modest 4 core PC CPUs can keep up. What happens when they inevitably switch to Ryzen? Hell, Scorpio could have it this year. Either way we can probably expect a PS5 in late 2019 with Ryzen. It will be a lower power version with ? cores, but I personally wouldn't buy a 4 core CPU at this time.

This again, PS4 with 8 cores was released at end of 2013, have we seen much games that use those cores on pc?
I dont think consoles have anything to do how PC games will use their cores.

Larogue

I would love to support AMD and get a Ryzen CPU (even with it's gaming issue, which hopefully will be fixed with time, as both AMD and game developers optimze it more), but I've just upgraded my PC a month ago.

But definitely getting Ryzen when I upgrade again (maybe Ryzen 2 would be out by then).

Keep it up AMD <3

Yeah, you sound like the perfect customer for that CPU.

A focus on productivity and doing some light gaming, the 1700 really seems great for that.
Gaming wise things can still get better depending on what fixes happen in the future, but even as it is now it's not terrible, it's rather decent (just a bit underwhelming, though that can change since there's clear issues going on).

This is great news, thanks! As far as I can tell so far, most benchmarks show a frame loss at above 60 anyway, so I'm not over bothered about the gaming side of things - least not if things improve in the future.

How would you both rate this build for such purpose?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£304.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£92.34 @ Eclipse Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£122.77 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£89.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card (£281.39 @ Aria PC)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX ATX Mid Tower Case (£135.00 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1127.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-07 12:14 GMT+0000

grumble

I mean the CPU is still fine for heavy gaming; both brands are. It's a matter of degree under certain very demanding situations.

ezodagrom

I mean the CPU is still fine for heavy gaming; both brands are. It's a matter of degree under certain very demanding situations.
It was a poor choice of words from my part, I wanted to say that it's a good choice for a focus on productivity and a lesser focus on gaming, where productivity takes priority.

Übermatik;231627111 said:
This is great news, thanks! As far as I can tell so far, most benchmarks show a frame loss at above 60 anyway, so I'm not over bothered about the gaming side of things - least not if things improve in the future.

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£92.34 @ Eclipse Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£122.77 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£89.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card (£281.39 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.95 @ Amazon UK)
Looking fine to me.

This again, PS4 with 8 cores was released at end of 2013, have we seen much games that use those cores on pc?
I dont think consoles have anything to do how PC games will use their cores.

There's plenty of games now that benefit from 8 threads. The problem is creating engines for the new generation take years to do, support for that many threads isn't flipping a switch but years of incremental algorithm improvements and sharing this work in the industry. Games like Watch Dogs 2 are a great example of what has been accomplished so far.

Same goes for DX12. People may shake their heads right now since the improvements have been minor or even negative, but the truth is any major DX upgrade has taken yeas upon years to fully supplant the previous gen. Progress just doesn't happen overnight.

The only thing that gives me pause is the Asus mobo, because (IIRC), their BIOS had some of the worst problems when it came to Day 1 reviews. That said, finding out any info on the B350s is annoying - I basically lurk the AMD subreddit and only occasionally see threads about MSI B350s and their BIOS updates.

On a different note, Cryorig continues to be the best:
http://www.cryorig.com/news.php?id=69&page=1
Beginning from Type A to Type D, there will be a total of 4 different AM4 upgrade kits depending on the corresponding CRYORIG product. Natively supporting Ryzen dedicated version models will begin to release later in Q2 2017 and will consist of the full CRYORIG cooling portfolio.

CRYORIG’s four AM4 upgrade kits will be released beginning in late March and will be completely free of charge (including shipping) for existing users to apply for. Users will only need to provide a proof of purchase of the CRYORIG product (or product registration number), and a proof of purchase of an AMD Ryzen or AM4 CPU or Motherboard. Just fill out and supply all necessary info at www.cryorig.com/getam4.php, the kit will be sent directly to the provided address. Distributors and select channels will also have these kits available. The following chart indicates the CRYORIG product and it’s corresponding AM4 upgrade kit.

A bummer about the late March ship date for the kits, but hopefully that's because they replaced all the screws and made sure they were the right length.

The only thing that gives me pause is the Asus mobo, because (IIRC), their BIOS had some of the worst problems when it came to Day 1 reviews. That said, finding out any info on the B350s is annoying - I basically lurk the AMD subreddit and only occasionally see threads about MSI B350s and their BIOS updates.

Ahh shit okay - any other recommendations? I'd hate to get everything else lined up and find the Mobo is lacking!

ezodagrom

Übermatik;231627429 said:
Ahh shit okay - any other recommendations? I'd hate to get everything else lined up and find the Mobo is lacking!
I guess an MSI motherboard could be a good option maybe.
Also no idea how good are AMD coolers recently, haven't really checked their coolers lately, but I'd still recommend getting a 3rd party CPU cooler (though have to make sure that it's compatible with the AM4 platform).

The 1% lows are certainly a great example of how 4 threads these days just isn't enough, even if plenty of people still believe that 7600K is nearly as good as 7700K just by looking at average FPS in many games.

SMT problems will be fixed eventually, but if you go through how many games are actually affected by the regression, it's only some titles having significant problems.

I think we'll see first improvements as soon as Ashes of the Singularity gets their update out. They should be the prime example of how Ryzen can scale, but right now the results are not flattering. The update should show how much a dev can do if they put in the effort.

Updates from the game devs will certainly help. However, if the OS fixes are not there yet at that point then it will still not show the full degree of what developers' effort can account for because the games will still have to make OS calls.

Of course after all the fixes are there, from both games and OS sides, we can do benches to test which fixes contribute what percent then.

Looks great, but I will go with an AMD RX 480 as the GPU, since the DX11 performance gap between the 1060 and the 480 is minimal, and the 480 is pulling ahead in DX12. Nvidia is supposed to release a DX12 improvement driver soon, so it's something to look for.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either, but the 8GB of VRAM on the 480 makes it a win for me.

Well unless you do CUDA programming then Nvidia only.

Also no idea how good are AMD coolers recently, haven't really checked their coolers lately, but I'd still recommend getting a 3rd party CPU cooler (though have to make sure that it's compatible with the AM4 platform).
The MSI Tomahawk B350 looks pretty solid, since it just got a BIOS update. Coolers are super hard to deal with, because almost all of them aren't AM4 compatible out of the box and a lot of the compatibility kits won't ship until later in March.

I'll check out MSI, thanks. Is a CPU cooler essential? There should be plenty of space in the ATX case I'll be getting, and I don't plan on overlocking at all.

The MSI Tomahawk B350 looks pretty solid, since it just got a BIOS update. Coolers are super hard to deal with, because almost all of them aren't AM4 compatible out of the box and a lot of the compatibility kits won't ship until later in March.

Coolermaster seem to have a few prepared, but I'm totally dazzled by this list and have no idea which solution is most appropriate, if at all, for my build.

Looks great, but I will go with an AMD RX 480 as the GPU, since the DX11 performance gap between the 1060 and the 480 is minimal, and the 480 is pulling ahead in DX12. Nvidia is supposed to release a DX12 improvement driver soon, so it's something to look for.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either, but the 8GB of VRAM on the 480 makes it a win for me.

Well unless you do CUDA programming then Nvidia only.

To be honest, the RX 480 is what I initially considered, but a few -though not many- applications I use benefit from CUDA... but yeah, the additional VRAM is a big draw towards AMD there. Hmmmm. Cheaper, too.

Durante

Your 5820k that you bought 2 years ago is still a better gaming CPU than any Ryzen and overclocks better.
I guess people should buy that instead :)
When I bought my 5820k almost 2.5 years ago it was the same price as the 1700 is now -- and right now, all that time later, it's more expensive. Of course, some of that has to do with exchange rates, but it's still a bit sad to see that stagnation in CPU pricing continue.

In any case, buying a 5820k for 350€ in late 2014 was a pretty good decision :p

ezodagrom

Übermatik;231627955 said:
I'll check out MSI, thanks. Is a CPU cooler essential? There should be plenty of space in the ATX case I'll be getting, and I don't plan on overlocking at all.
I've had pretty bad experiences with AMD's default coolers in the past (Phenom II X2, under gaming load the CPU would reach high temps and the cooler was really noisy), but I really have no idea how more recent coolers handle themselves.
Can't really help in choosing an aftermarket one though since I really don't follow coolers much

When I bought my 5820k almost 2.5 years ago it was the same price as the 1700 is now -- and right now, all that time later, it's more expensive. Of course, some of that has to do with exchange rates, but it's still a bit sad to see that stagnation in CPU pricing continue.

Got mine for £340. X99 is super, fave computer ever. What made the 5820K such a great purchase was it overclocks like there's no tomorrow. Only 3.5Ghz turbo but they overclock to 4.4/4.5Ghz. This meant it is viable for years.

Of course, CPU base frequency has crept slowly up in the last two years and Ryzen is no exception.

I've had pretty bad experiences with AMD's default coolers in the past (Phenom II X2, under gaming load the CPU would reach high temps and the cooler was really noisy), but I really have no idea how more recent coolers handle themselves.
Can't really help in choosing an aftermarket one though since I really don't follow coolers much

I'll probably stick with the supplied cooler unless I run into issues - this is good to know though, thanks!

Micael

You seem to have been keeping up with this CPU launch, and since you are a programmer too, for productivity is there any particular reason to go for the 1800x vs an overclocked 1700, because the few benchmarks I have seen so far of the 1700 with OC put it at 1800x OC levels of performance, but it is a significantly cheaper processor (roughly 140€ cheaper).

Durante

If you are willing to manually overclock, there is absolutely no way anything other than the 1700 makes sense price/performance wise. For any application.

Micael

If you are willing to manually overclock, there is absolutely no way anything other than the 1700 makes sense price/performance wise. For any application.

Ok thanks, thought as much, that makes the 1700 a ridiculously good value processor for productivity, but since most reviews are focusing on the 1800x and completely ignoring the 1700 I assumed I might be missing something, like it having less PCI lanes or something of the sort.
Still going to likely wait a couple of months to see what intel response is, and what mobo manufacturers come up with, no reason to rush an upgrade to a 7 year old processor (X5650).

Durante

Got mine for £340. X99 is super, fave computer ever. What made the 5820K such a great purchase was it overclocks like there's no tomorrow. Only 3.5Ghz turbo but they overclock to 4.4/4.5Ghz. This meant it is viable for years.

Of course, CPU base frequency has crept slowly up in the last two years and Ryzen is no exception.
I just noticed this part. I agree, but I feel like with both Intel and AMD this base clock increase has come at a significant cost to overclocking potential.

For example, a 5820k has a base clock of 3.3 GHz, but most can run at around 4.4 GHz on good air cooler. That's a 33% increase over the base clock. Conversely, a 7700k ships with a 4.2 GHz base clock (which is impressive!), and if you're lucky you can get it up to 5 GHz on air. That's just 19%. With the higher-end Ryzen models it's similar or worse.

The Ryzen 1700 is actually pretty solid in that metric again, if we can assume that it manages 3.9 GHz on average. That would b 30%, though of course this is partially due to the rather low base frequency of 3 GHz.

NeOak

SPUs aren't cores. "Cores" mean general purpose cores.

PS3 is a Single core, dual thread CPU with 6 Special Units. One was disabled for yields and the other was reserved for the OS.

X360 was closer to normal.

kuYuri

No clue, I'm sure it's a temporary sale, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I'm more surprised by how quick it happened.

NeOak

Übermatik;231633401 said:
Hm, good catch. Any idea why?

No clue, I'm sure it's a temporary sale, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I'm more surprised by how quick it happened.
Microcenter prices are not industry standard, nor should be taken as indication of anything else.

They just price the CPUs as loss leaders so you go to the store and buy everything there.

The 1700X comes without a cooler, so they are counting that you'll buy one there. Could be that the other two moved more too.

Paragon

New article from The Tech Report: Where minimum-FPS figures mislead, frame-time analysis shines

http://abload.de/img/gtav1800xxzsdv.png
http://abload.de/img/gtav7700k3ysdx.png

That's interesting, we think. The Core i7-7700K produces a nice, fat dromedarian hump with most of its frames clustered to the right of the chart, while the bactrian Ryzen 7 1800X exhibits a seemingly-more-bimodal distribution. Not only is the Core i7-7700K faster, but its frame delivery is more consistent—and our frame-time data bears that out.

So much for the “but Ryzen is smoother” nonsense that AMD fans have been pushing the past few days.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's worth putting too much stock in minimum frame rates. Our histogram analysis lets us see that they're extreme outliers that might not contribute more than a couple frames (if that) to the overall picture. We already have much better tools to make conclusions about component performance in the 99th-percentile frame time, frame-times-by-percentile, and plots of frame-time data that we present. We might start including frame-rate or frame-time histograms in our future reviews, however, because hey, they're interesting. Let me know what you think.

Oh, and yeah. Average FPS continues to be terrible. You can take that to the bank.

dr_rus

So much for the ”but Ryzen is smoother" nonsense that AMD fans have been pushing the past few days.

There were enough launch day benchmarks showing that it wasn't so no idea where anyone would get this from. Minimal fps being lower is usually a sign of CPU bottleneck (unless the game is GPU limited there of course) but this can mean a single thread performance bottleneck as well as 100% all cores load bottleneck and the former is happening way more often in modern games than the latter.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
New article from The Tech Report: Where minimum-FPS figures mislead, frame-time analysis shines

So much for the ”but Ryzen is smoother" nonsense that AMD fans have been pushing the past few days.

There were enough launch day benchmarks showing that it wasn't so no idea where anyone would get this from. Minimal fps being lower is usually a sign of CPU bottleneck (unless the game is GPU limited there of course) but this can mean a single thread performance bottleneck as well as 100% all cores load bottleneck and the former is happening way more often in modern games than the latter.

It came from reports (even from reviewers) of long playing sessions as opposed to 30 second runs.

my BF1 runs >100fps all the time but I know exactly what they are talking about. Some stutters on my 5ghz i7 are plain bad.

Top Bottom