• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amtrak proposes to remove legroom space on trains to create "economy seating"

>:)

Fuck it might as well go all in
ADIWmsS.png

Capitalism: Destroy everything and treat everyone as crap, just to make a few assholes happy.

The US is just a bad president from sinking to sub-LatinAmerican level... oh, wait!

Sunster

can we have an advanced transit system like other developed countries now? or are we just going to keep saying, "can't. US is too big." "20th century railroads 4 lyfe."

Gallbaro

Banned
can we have an advanced transit system like other developed countries now? or are we just going to keep saying, "can't. US is too big." "20th century railroads 4 lyfe."

Our problem is not size, it is that we spend too much. We should be getting 5 miles of rail for what we spend, instead we only get one.

Gallbaro

Banned
why is this?

A multitude of reasons but current consensus is:
-Civil Law vs Common Law. Civil Law countries have much lower legal costs associated with projects.
-Labor Productivity. London also pperates on Common Law and they build much more complicated infrastructure projects than we do. They still manage to build at about 1/3 the costs. But they have reasonable agreements with their labor and we do not. A US tunnel boring machine requires 5 times as many operators despite being the same exact machine.

Ahh I love Amtrak, but honestly if the seats become like a bus I’ll just buy a bus and save the money. Amtrak tickets are expensive if you don’t buy them super in advance

I wouldn't think Amtrak would be looking to give people fewer reasons to travel by rail. These cozy diagrams I'm looking at seem like a nightmare.

Dabanton

How would this affect the Amtrak train that goes from Vancouver and through Washington/ Seattle/ Portland/ etc

I'm from the UK and the seats on the train were top notch, I've got very long legs and the legroom and quality of the seating was amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Come on Amtrak, I love taking you. Don't do this to me. You're the best way to travel on the Eastern Seaboard. Why screw that up?

Top Bottom