• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

Sorry for being MIA with my pics of the Liliput. Forgot about it. :/

Here he is.
liliput1.jpg

Great little pen, but you dont want to write for too long with it. I get a bit cramped up after a while.

liliput2.jpg

Here are the three amigos (missing from the picture is a Safari and LE Al-Star in black)
liliput3.jpg

I like them all, but the Lamy 2000 is easily my favourite.

hobart

Word of warning re: pens and ink not to use in them----

It's happened to me ONLY once -- but it is confirmed that Noodler's Baystate Blue can/will break the plastic feed on a Lamy Safari. I thought it was ridiculous at first -- until it happened to me and I carefully researched these tales throughout the net.

I don't know if its ALL Noodler's inks that don't jive well with Safari's... but there is *something* in the Baystate that is eating away at the feed.

Some may have already realized this -- but it is imperative that you clean a pen thoroughly when switching inks. Seems logical. Just wanted to reiterate.

MR4001

I knew Baystate Blue was an ink one had to be careful with but... shit!

Brilliant photographs, Forsete! Really good. Which inks are you using in each pen? The Lamy 2000 will be fifty years old in 2016! (I had this sweet idea for an anniversary special edition the other night...)

Sky Chief

I just moved last weekend and found a few Montblanc fountain pens that my Godfather used to give me every birthday/Xmas (his last name translated to "Scribe" so he was big on pens). I'm not sure if I should sell them or give them a try. I've just always felt that fountain pens are messy and impractical but I only like uniball pens these days because of how smoothly they write so after reading the OP I think I might have to give them a try. Still, I would feel awful if I lost an expensive pen while out and about.

MR4001

I just moved last weekend and found a few Montblanc fountain pens that my Godfather used to give me every birthday/Xmas (his last name translated to "Scribe" so he was big on pens). I'm not sure if I should sell them or give them a try. I've just always felt that fountain pens are messy and impractical but I only like uniball pens these days because of how smoothly they write so after reading the OP I think I might have to give them a try. Still, I would feel awful if I lost an expensive pen while out and about.

Modern FPs aren't messy (if you use 'em right). If you're keen on smoothness then a good FP can't be beat - and MBs are very good. Get yourself some washable blue ink and give them a try! (NB: if you're keen on selling them then inking them - if they haven't been already - will slightly lower their value.)

Do you know what models your Montblancs are? All Montblancs go for a pretty penny second-hand, but if you've a discontinued model you may get a penny beautiful as Venus.

Trick to not losing an expensive pen is to keep it simply at home! (But make sure it's out of the reach of cats!...) Or you could get a nice case, or something, so you get into that process of taking it out, putting it back and so on, like with a laptop, or whatever.

Forsete

I knew Baystate Blue was an ink one had to be careful with but... shit!

Brilliant photographs, Forsete! Really good. Which inks are you using in each pen? The Lamy 2000 will be fifty years old in 2016! (I had this sweet idea for an anniversary special edition the other night...)

Thanks. :)

Liliput: Iroshizuku Kon-Peki
Lamy 2000: Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo
Kaweco Sport AL: Lamy Turqoise

Yes, I have a thing for blue! :p

I also have Ku-Jaku, Chiku-Rin, Kaweco Sepia (really cool, like old aged ink) various Kaweco blues (royal and forgot what the other is named), Parker black and blue (really old bottles, I've had them for many years, not to keen on the Parker shade of blue though, and black is a little boring IMO.)

Sky Chief

Modern FPs aren't messy (if you use 'em right). If you're keen on smoothness then a good FP can't be beat - and MBs are very good. Get yourself some washable blue ink and give them a try! (NB: if you're keen on selling them then inking them - if they haven't been already - will slightly lower their value.)

Do you know what models your Montblancs are? All Montblancs go for a pretty penny second-hand, but if you've a discontinued model you may get a penny beautiful as Venus.

Trick to not losing an expensive pen is to keep it simply at home! (But make sure it's out of the reach of cats!...) Or you could get a nice case, or something, so you get into that process of taking it out, putting it back and so on, like with a laptop, or whatever.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I will take another look at them when I get home.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
After some convincing from Bagels I finally took the plunge and ordered a Pilot Metropolitan (instead of waiting for the MassDrop to complete) and a whole bunch of Ink samples from GouletPens! (Whom by the way are incredibly nice. They even included some little lollipops in my two boxes~)

iBDvE6RQDbori.jpg

I enjoyed the Varsity a lot but it had a few problems, mainly getting scratchy during round movements. The Metropolitan is exceptionally smooth. In a way it feels like going from a few days worth of stubble to perfectly clean shaven. This thing is absurdly easy to fill, clean and use. I realize this is pretty much just a starters pen but I want to say that this is really the best writing instrument I've ever had in my hands.

ixP0uCTqy6Mxm.jpg

iw9z9rO70VqUB.jpg

I'm so in love with the warm grey of the Kiri-same. It's almost like a pencil but more lush. The Tsuki-yo is similarly tickling my fancy, but alas the bottles are just way out of my price range at the moment! So eager to try out the other samples I picked up and already have another cart of samples I'm going back and forth on pulling the trigger for.

Next up on my list of things to do - improve my penmanship (which is part of the reason I wanted to invest, so I'd have money riding on it) and get some nice actual paper to write on. This ream of Legal paper that's been sitting around a while feathers like crazy.

tl;dr Bagels is the greatest

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
After some convincing from Bagels I finally took the plunge and ordered a Pilot Metropolitan (instead of waiting for the MassDrop to complete) and a whole bunch of Ink samples from GouletPens! (Whom by the way are incredibly nice. They even included some little lollipops in my two boxes~)

iBDvE6RQDbori.jpg

I enjoyed the Varsity a lot but it had a few problems, mainly getting scratchy during round movements. The Metropolitan is exceptionally smooth. In a way it feels like going from a few days worth of stubble to perfectly clean shaven. This thing is absurdly easy to fill, clean and use. I realize this is pretty much just a starters pen but I want to say that this is really the best writing instrument I've ever had in my hands.

ixP0uCTqy6Mxm.jpg

iw9z9rO70VqUB.jpg

I'm so in love with the warm grey of the Kiri-same. It's almost like a pencil but more lush. The Tsuki-yo is similarly tickling my fancy, but alas the bottles are just way out of my price range at the moment! So eager to try out the other samples I picked up and already have another cart of samples I'm going back and forth on pulling the trigger for.

Next up on my list of things to do - improve my penmanship (which is part of the reason I wanted to invest, so I'd have money riding on it) and get some nice actual paper to write on. This ream of Legal paper that's been sitting around a while feathers like crazy.

tl;dr Bagels is the greatest

I approve of everything in this post. Love that Bagels guy!

Goulet pens are really the best. I signed up for their ink drop for my birthday. $10 a month and they send you 5 ink samples, and you get 10% the full bottles. The samples are surprisingly generous. It's an awesome way to try out different inks. I signed up for 3 months, but I want to budget for a full-time membership!

I also upgraded my fleet of pens with a Pilot Metropolitan (medium nib - medium is such a toss-up. This one is about perfect for me, though!) and a replacement for my beloved Kaweco Sport. I had a black one that I carried around with me, but I lost it (my child, the mischievous mini-Bagels, probably hid it somewhere). I replaced it with a BLINDINGLY ORANGE model so it will be harder to lose.

Sorry for the crappy pic - the evening light is exactly wrong for my cell phone.

The TWSBI and Plumix (I actually have a bunch. I like them as testers for new inks) get the most use (after my Pilot Parallel calligraphy pens), but I'm loving my new Metropolitan! It has a really nice heft to it.

The Kaweco Sport is just a solid little pen, perfectly for carrying in a pocket or purse. It writes flawlessly. The only downside is that it takes short cartridges. I love love love having a bunch of Pilot pens that use the same (generous) cartridges. The Parallel pens burn through them, but they could not be easier to wash out and refill. Makes my life easy.

MR4001

What's currently in my pencil case:

From left to right: Platinum #3776 Century (EF), Sailor 1911 Large (EF), Pilot Custom 74 (F), Pilot Custom 74 (F), Pilot Capless (F)

As above but from top to bottom

Oh - I've a Lamy 2000 in for service at Heidelberg, too, and when it's back it'll be filled with some Lamy Turquoise.

I went ahead and picked up a Varsity. Did my taxes with it. I'm a bit intrigued. Coming from the 0.38mm G2 I'm used to, this thing writes a bold-ass line. But I was surprised how close the output was to just a regular-ass pen.

Back as a pup, I used to ink drawings in art class with a dip pen. This is nothing like I remember about that. It must have been an italic nib, because it was a lot sharper and scratchy and you could vary the line width by changing the angle. I wouldn't mind something closer to that. Something with a bit more character to it. In all honesty, gel pens write pretty well these days. Unless I'm getting a different line out of it, I'm not sure I'd bother with a fountain pen.

Sera O

Banned
This is nothing like I remember about that. It must have been an italic nib, because it was a lot sharper and scratchy and you could vary the line width by changing the angle. I wouldn't mind something closer to that. Something with a bit more character to it. In all honesty, gel pens write pretty well these days. Unless I'm getting a different line out of it, I'm not sure I'd bother with a fountain pen.

Dip pens for drawing/calligraphy are a lot different - they are a lot scratchier for one thing as you note. FPs tend to have a ball at the tip of the nib for smoothness, and this results in the monoline thing you mention.

You will get variation out of an italic or flex fountain pen. Italic due to the shape of the nib, and flex due to the line variation you can get with pressure as the tines separate. While non-flex FPs do this a little bit too, they aren't meant to take that pressure and aren't springy. I don't think there's such thing as a disposable flex nib, though.

Forsete

I got one FP-related purchase and one that is a little OT for this thread.

Lamy A203 pen case, which has room for three pens.
LamyFodral2.jpg

A magnet holds the lid in place.

LamyFodral.jpg

Now my pens can live a comfy life in darkness.

And this is slightly OT for this thread, but mentioned before that I really liked rollerballs (they were my favourite kind of pens before you lot made me get a FP!).
Anyway, I decided to get the brother of my Lamy 2000, in roller ball form!

It is nearly identical to the FP-variant. The cap has a slight indentation so you can tell them apart.
LamyRB-FP.jpg

A nib can look a bit disgusting in macro photos! :p
LamySpets.jpg

LamyRB.jpg

This rollerball (Lamy M63) draws nice and thick lines. It is just as comfy as its FP brother (which I consider king amongst comfortness) but requires a bit more pressure to write with.

It was £55 from the UK. Here in Sweden it costs about £80 so I saved some monies by importing.

MR4001

It's such a pain in the arse that Lamy use proprietary refills for their ballpoints and rollerballs: I so want a Lamy 2000 (rollerball) with a fibre tip! Meh.

MR4001

I'd end up buggering something up if I tried my hand at a modification, I just know it.

My 2000 can't come back from the Lamy factory soon enough - this bottle of Lamy Turquoise is begging to be used! Now that the iron gall blue-black is no more this is the only exciting ink Lamy make. Looks so beautiful in the bottle.

I caved in and got a Neon Coral Safari... a ballpoint, mind. Really funky colour - very hard to photograph, sadly.

Anyone seen this?: Lamy have made some special edition ink: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Lamy-T10-Coral-Special-Edition-Ink-Cartridges.html

Forsete

I'd end up buggering something up if I tried my hand at a modification, I just know it.

My 2000 can't come back from the Lamy factory soon enough - this bottle of Lamy Turquoise is begging to be used! Now that the iron gall blue-black is no more this is the only exciting ink Lamy make. Looks so beautiful in the bottle.

I caved in and got a Neon Coral Safari... a ballpoint, mind. Really funky colour - very hard to photograph, sadly.

Anyone seen this?: Lamy have made some special edition ink: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Lamy-T10-Coral-Special-Edition-Ink-Cartridges.html

What happened to your 2000?
And Lamy Turquoise is LOVELY.. One of my favourite blues, if not my favorite (at least some days, Tsuki-Yo, Kon-Peki and Lamy Turquoise are my favs, the last two are very similar but Lamys is a little lighter). :)

EDIT:
Well I did a little test and scanned it, according to my scanner they are pretty much identical. But in real life Kon-Peki is more "deep-blue".
Please feel free to bash my handwriting. ;)

LamyTFold.jpg

MR4001

What happened to your 2000?
And Lamy Turquoise is LOVELY.. One of my favourite blues, if not my favorite (at least some days, Tsuki-Yo, Kon-Peki and Lamy Turquoise are my favs, the last two are very similar but Lamys is a little lighter). :)

EDIT:
Well I did a little test and scanned it, according to my scanner they are pretty much identical. But in real life Kon-Peki is more "deep-blue".
Please feel free to bash my handwriting. ;)

http://einfahrtverboten.eu/grejs/bilder/LamyTFold.jpg

Oh, nothing bad has happened: I'm just having the nib exchanged (to an EF) and the piston lubed (always has been stiff). Lamy's Bauhaus-ness even extends to their service envelopes - pictures when the 2000 is back!

Scanners and cameras always lie when it comes to ink. Never is the reproduction exactly right.

Nothing wrong with you handwriting. Clear and readable. Your lowercase Qs are different - is it common to cross the descender in Sweden?

Forsete

Nothing wrong with you handwriting. Clear and readable. Your lowercase Qs are different - is it common to cross the descender in Sweden?

Not sure honestly. Q is not a common letter in our language (0,007% according to Wikipedia. Least used letters are: X 0.1% W 0.03% Z 0.02%).. If I am the only one doing it I probably started doing it to make it more distinguishable to the "g". :p

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

My wife got me a Vanishing Point for our anniversary! That's love, right there.

Medium nib is perfect. Writes like a dream. I've wanted this pen forever and I could not be happier.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Definitely my next FP. Write with it well, Bagels. Such a beautiful gift!

She got me a bottle of iroshizuku fuyu-syogun to go with it.

I love this woman so damn much.

I never thought I'd like a gray ink, but this is gorgeous. The way it shades is wonderful. I'll try and take some pics later today.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Been keeping up with my semi-daily writings/awful drawings, switching inks here and there out of my Pilot Metropolitan. My penmanship has yet to improve much even with practicing in between, yet I can't help but love it.

ibckOFKBo2WRsh.jpg

iKinqkbUhrSta.jpg

ipmjGm0Dsd5jY.jpg

izLTh9oB1F5jH.jpg

iQfulESpJSp9x.jpg

Ordered a Rhodia pad at last to get away from the cheap Legal paper I've been using. I'll have some more stuff to show later this week, Bagels knows why.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Been keeping up with my semi-daily writings/awful drawings, switching inks here and there out of my Pilot Metropolitan. My penmanship has yet to improve much even with practicing in between, yet I can't help but love it.

ibckOFKBo2WRsh.jpg

iKinqkbUhrSta.jpg

ipmjGm0Dsd5jY.jpg

izLTh9oB1F5jH.jpg

iQfulESpJSp9x.jpg

Ordered a Rhodia pad at last to get away from the cheap Legal paper I've been using. I'll have some more stuff to show later this week, Bagels knows why.

Just, in general, I had hoped that the silly Pilot Varsity might prove a gateway drug for fountain pens in here - that was certainly my experience, looking back. It hasn't worked for everybody, but it really makes me happy to see how much fun you're having with this, CheesecakeRecipe! It's crazy fun to see you making the leap from a Pilot Varsity to iroshizuku ink, in some proper pens. It lets me relive my own experience, going from a kid who was always being lectured about how bad his handwriting was, to someone who is hopelessly in love with writing things by hand, and who gets crazy compliments for his handwriting.

You can spend a good deal of money on inks, pens, papers, etc. - and Lord knows I do - but fundamentally, the thing to get out of these threads is the simple joy, available to all of us, in writing things by hand. A Blackwing pencil is $2. A Pilot Plumix is $8. I've gotten my money's worth out of either one a zillion times over.

Forsete

I bought two reds from Diamine.

I love the "classic" style of bottles they use.
Dia1.jpg

Diamine_1.jpg

Both of them lead to a bit of "crud" buildup on the nibs. But I guess this is normal and not harmful to the pens?

I really like them both, slightly more Ancient Copper though.

This is the site I used: http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/
They really have a LOT of inks.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hey guys,

What pen would be my best bet if I am looking for something of the same fineness as a Platinum Preppy? That or more fine. I need something without thick lines.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Hey guys,

What pen would be my best bet if I am looking for something of the same fineness as a Platinum Preppy? That or more fine. I need something without thick lines.

For a step up in quality, you can now get a MR4001-approved Pilot Metropolitan with an F nib. $15 from the awesome folks at gouletpens.com. I have a Metropolitan with an M nib and I could not be happier, especially at that price! The M nib already strikes me as being on the small side for a medium, so I imagine the fine gives you a nice, thin, crisp line. The whole thing just looks and feels more legit than the clear plastic Preppy, or the Varsity.

The venerable Lamy Safari, $30 from Goulet, comes with nibs down to an extra fine (alternatively, Goulet will put a Lamy calligraphy nib on for no extra cost).

If you're attracted in part to the price point of the Preppy, the Metropolitan is the clear winner here. That is a great price for what you get, and may be the cheapest way to get a pen with some choice in nib size (you can even stick a Plumix italic nib on there). You get a squeeze converter for bottled ink and a disposable cartridge in the box. The Pilot cartridges are a nice size and are really easy to rinse and refill (I actually like the Pilot Mixable Colors, too). The same carts fit in all of my Pilot pens (and I have fallen in love with all things Pilot), which is super convenient.

edit: There's also the Pilot Penmanship with an extra fine nib. $8.25 at Jetpens.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I bought two reds from Diamine.

I love the "classic" style of bottles they use.
Dia1.jpg

Diamine_1.jpg

Both of them lead to a bit of "crud" buildup on the nibs. But I guess this is normal and not harmful to the pens?

I really like them both, slightly more Ancient Copper though.

This is the site I used: http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/
They really have a LOT of inks.

I ordered a sample vial of their Oxblood a few days ago, almost grabbed the Red Dragon but it seemed too bright of a red for any normal use. I hear good things about the brand so, we'll see!

I just realized those bottles are 80ml. Good lord that's huge compared to some of the other bottle sizes I've seen around (20-50)

hobart

The venerable Lamy Safari, $30 from Goulet, comes with nibs down to an extra fine (alternatively, Goulet will put a Lamy calligraphy nib on for no extra cost).

Just a word of warning - I've found Lamy EF to be a little thicker than others. My thought process has always been that - for the price - it's a tradeoff.

Forsete

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149

S.T. Dupont 007 LE

Nice collection! I like the idea of a MB, but not the price. ;P Congrats on yours though. :)

Just a word of warning - I've found Lamy EF to be a little thicker than others. My thought process has always been that - for the price - it's a tradeoff.

I have now tried Kaweco, Lamy, Sailor, Platinum and Pelikan.

Kaweco and Lamy have very similar widths.
Sailor and Platinum are very similar.
Sailor/Platinum medium is like a Lamy EF.
Platinums EF is hyper ultra thin.
Pelikan medium is bigger than all other mediums I have tried, but very delicious at the same time.

I ordered a sample vial of their Oxblood a few days ago, almost grabbed the Red Dragon but it seemed too bright of a red for any normal use. I hear good things about the brand so, we'll see!

I just realized those bottles are 80ml. Good lord that's huge compared to some of the other bottle sizes I've seen around (20-50)

80ml is only £6.79. Very good price. :)
Iroshizuku costs ~£31 for 50ml.

I love the Pilot inks, but they are a "tad" overpriced IMO.

I am enjoying both, but now I clearly favor Ancient Copper.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
It's vintage, it was a gift. Writes wonderfully!

I'm thinking of trying Sailor Yama-Dori, anyone have experience with this ink?

I'm following the tracking of mine! It made it safely from Tokyo to NYC! Tomorrow or the next day, it will be in my ink - stained hands!

I got an extra bottle so I could send out some samples to friends. Let me know if you want to be my friend! ;)

So even though it's supposed to be a cheapo pen I gotta say the Pilot Varsity is a really fantastic value. I recently upgraded to a fine-nib Lamy Safari and I really miss the wetness and smoothness of whatever the stock nib/ink in the Varsity was. What should I be looking for in terms of ink to replicate the old feel? My only real requirement is that itn eeds to be waterproof.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So even though it's supposed to be a cheapo pen I gotta say the Pilot Varsity is a really fantastic value. I recently upgraded to a fine-nib Lamy Safari and I really miss the wetness and smoothness of whatever the stock nib/ink in the Varsity was. What should I be looking for in terms of ink to replicate the old feel? My only real requirement is that itn eeds to be waterproof.

I don't think new ink will fix it, unfortunately. I have a Safari with an M nib and the feel has always been a touch scratchy. I dig it, but if you want buttery smoothness, you may need to look elsewhere. A Pilot Metropolitan may be more to your liking.

[I'm glad someone else likes the Varsity. They wrote so well for me. I'm surprised so many people have had trouble.]

I'm pretty sure that the Varsity uses the standard Pilot Mixable Colours. They're not waterproof, unfortunately. Noodlers specializes in tamper-resistant inks - I'd check out some samples from Goulet pens and find a color you like.

Yeah I was looking at Noodler Bulletproof ink, but many Amazon reviews claim it has issues with fine nibs such as the one I'm using in the Lamy.

Doesn't seem like the Metropolitan has a fine nib, but I'll keep it on the wish list for future use.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yeah I was looking at Noodler Bulletproof ink, but many Amazon reviews claim it has issues with fine nibs such as the one I'm using in the Lamy.

Doesn't seem like the Metropolitan has a fine nib, but I'll keep it on the wish list for future use.

Luckily Pilot heard the demand and just recently sent out Metropolitans with fine nibs, since it is a JP fine it's a hair thinner than most fine nib lines, too!

EDIT: damnit bagels how did you manage to post that 3 minutes before me

I should not post while playing games

Sera O

Banned
I am enjoying both, but now I clearly favor Ancient Copper.

I've tried both too, and agree with you - the ancient copper is just a lot more interesting to use. It has a nice range of shades.

Red dragon is weird in that you can dilute it quite a lot and it would look virtually the same. I think I went up to something like 30% water and it barely lightened; it was crazy. It's a solid red. I'd rather use Iroshizuku momiji which is lighter and has an appealing clarity to it, or Sailor grenade which is darker and has a cool sheen. Maybe I'm just not a red fan, I don't know.

Bagels you have to post pics when you get that Yama Dori! It looks really appealing. I was debating ordering it the other day, but it looked like it would arrive while I was overseas and unable to get the package. And I probably shouldn't be buying ink, anyways.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I

Bagels you have to post pics when you get that Yama Dori! It looks really appealing. I was debating ordering it the other day, but it looked like it would arrive while I was overseas and unable to get the package. And I probably shouldn't be buying ink, anyways.

You better believe I will!! I've been following the tracking info like a nervous parent. Like maybe I should just go to Tokyo and fly back with it to make sure it's safe...

For those interested, you can find the link above, or ask me for it. The Japanese dude who resells it was super nice. $25/bottle w/free shipping from Japan is quite a deal! Cheaper than Iroshizuku!

Nezumi

So, my mom was cleaning out a storage room that she didn't need anymore and between mountains of garbage I found this old Pelikan.
IMG_20140509_151952_zpsa6c11079.jpg

According to Ebay it is worth more than a 100 bucks. I'm not gonna sell this though. It had been years since I had written with a fountain pen, but I fell in love with it immediately after cleaning and filling this. Already sent my sister in law, who lives in Japan, hunting for ink after reading this thread :)

Sera O

Banned
Sailor Jentle Ink - Yama-dori - fresh from Japan!

The most beautiful ink I've ever written with.

Glad to see it reached you safely. Gotdamn. So do you notice a red sheen on that? Can you post the link of the vendor you bought from please? Maybe I will order after I get back. . .

I've also been looking at the anniversary jentle inks. There's a green that I really like despite the kind of doofy bottle it comes in. I don't know that it's worth the cost
but hey if I'm already ordering stuff it's like, why not just fill a shipping container
. . .

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Glad to see it reached you safely. Gotdamn. So do you notice a red sheen on that? Can you post the link of the vendor you bought from please? Maybe I will order after I get back. . .

I've also been looking at the anniversary jentle inks. There's a green that I really like despite the kind of doofy bottle it comes in. I don't know that it's worth the cost
but hey if I'm already ordering stuff it's like, why not just fill a shipping container
. . .

Contact Atsu at his ebay store and he'll take it from there. Super nice guy, he shipped the ink right away, and the price was very reasonable.

Here's the special edition inks he has:

山鳥 Yama-dori
奥山 Oku-yama
常盤松 Tokiwa-matsu
匂菫 Nioi-sumire
海松藍 Miru-ai
蒼天 Sou-ten
土用 Do-you

I imagine he might be willing to track down others, should the need arise. I'm hoping that, now that these are always available, Jetpens can deliver the goods.

For Yama-dori, there is indeed a red sheen! It's subtle, and I want to grab my real camera and try to capture it when the sun is higher in the sky. That's the problem with great inks - it's so damn hard to photograph or scan them in such a way as to capture the colors you're getting out. It makes me sad.

Anyway, now I'm REEEAAAALLY interested in the the other special edition colors. I am so in love with this ink!

Ambient80

Bagels!

You seem like a good person to ask. So I'm gonna be writing some thank you letters to some folks soon (applying for medical residency) and hand written notes might be good. Is there a specific kind of paper you would recommend when using a FP like the Pilot Plumix? Would that even be an appropriate pen to use?

Thanks! Love the thread, subbed :)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Bagels!

You seem like a good person to ask. So I'm gonna be writing some thank you letters to some folks soon (applying for medical residency) and hand written notes might be good. Is there a specific kind of paper you would recommend when using a FP like the Pilot Plumix? Would that even be an appropriate pen to use?

Thanks! Love the thread, subbed :)

I'm all about Rhodia paper. If you really want to wow them, go for Rhodia R. It's ivory instead of white, but it's so smoothly luxurious! I have some Clairefontaine paper now too, and it is great.

MR4001 is my pen and paper guru
(and secret NeoGAF man-crush? I'd never say so publicly.)
. He probably has some suggestions, too.

I still use my Plumix pens every day. If you like how they write, that's what really matters. I dig the thicks and thins you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom