• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And the best 90's horror movie is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
0767817656.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just caught this movie On Demand via Comcast and I forgot how great this movie truly was. The sequels sucked big time but the original is excellent. So why didn't I pick a classic like Dead Alive? Because Dead Alive, while funny and awesome is more comedy than horror. When I sit down to watch a real horror movie I want to be scared and Candyman still sends chills down my spine.

Quick synopsis: While investigating urban legends for her graduate school thesis, Helen Lyle (Virginia Madsen) encounters the real deal.

Review: This movie brings to the silver screen the age old urban legend of "If you say so-and-so's name in the mirror X number of times he/she will come and kill you". I was always fascinated by this particular urban legend as a child. I was raised in Baltimore so for us it was always if you say "Black Aggie I killed your baby" 5 times in the mirror at midnight she will kill you. There is also a legendary statue of Black Aggie that was said to kill people (it's now at the Smithsonian). Around these parts, Black Aggies is pretty huge. To this day I've never uttered those words in the mirror, btw, and I don't know anyone who has.

This movie succeeds is every single area. There is great acting all around. There is not a single character that is poorly acted. Virginia Madsen in particular does a great job playing Helen. You really feel for her. Tony Todd's performance as the Candyman is excellent. He is truly a frightening character.

The soundtrack is excellent. The main theme is played on an organ and it's very creepy. It fits perfectly with this film.

The story, pacing, and screenplay are excellent. I can't think of another horror movie that does such a good job at putting the audience right smack dab in the middle of Helen's shoes. As I was watching the movie it was as if I was experiencing everything that Helen was experiencing. Come to think of it, I really can't think of another movie where I've felt this way before. The direction is brilliant.

If you've never seen this movie and you like horror movies even just a little bit, do yourself a favor. If you have Comcast Digital Cable check out this movie via On Demand. It's listed on one of the movie channels. If you don't have Comcast Digital Cable run, don't walk, to the nearest video store and rent this movie. Heck, go to BB and purchase it. I'm sure the price is very reasonable.

*****/*****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom