• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Auto Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today a whole bunch of Android Auto reviews came out from various publications.
I've never posted a review thread so bear with me.
androidauto-2.0.jpg
The Verge

For years, the center consoles of cars have been dominated by “infotainment” systems, which are designed to control everything from music, to navigation, to climate systems. Though they’ve gotten better over the years, these systems have been almost universally terrible, with confusing interfaces, slow response, and an overwhelming number of options. As a result, the best in-car navigation and entertainment system is often the smartphone in your pocket.
Android Auto is finally rolling out to production cars, starting with the Hyundai Sonata. Android Auto does not fully replace the Sonata’s interface. Instead, it essentially runs as an app on top of it, launching when you plug in a compatible phone (Android 5.0 or newer) into the car’s built-in USB port. It turns the car’s infotainment system into the conduit for controlling Google Maps navigation, receiving messages, and playing music or listening to podcasts. It also lets you use Google’s voice search from behind the wheel, using the existing buttons and microphones already built into the car.
Firing up Android Auto is easy. Once you install the app on your phone, you plug it into the Sonata, pair it over Bluetooth (which happens automatically and is required for phone calls), and press the Android Auto icon on the Sonata’s 8-inch resistive touchscreen. Next, you’re presented with a familiar, but stripped down version of Android. At this point, the phone itself becomes rather useless — its interface is completely locked out in favor of an Android Auto splash screen. Google wants you to do everything through the car’s controls when you’re driving, so you might as well put the phone in a cubby hole and forget about it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/26/8659671/android-auto-in-car-system-review-smartphone-hyundai-sonata

WSJ

Moving from a car’s built-in navigation system to Google Maps is like being upgraded from a Motel 6 to a Four Seasons. It’s far cleaner and the information is faster and more trustworthy. The great maps, the multiple route options, the quick load and rerouting times, the easy on-screen directions—there are just so many things to love about Google Maps riding shotgun.

The best part really is how familiar the interface is. No hidden menus, excessive taps, multiple address input fields. It feels like the phone app on a big screen—you even get the clean Android 5.0 keyboard. Unfortunately, that’s because Android Auto requires a phone running the Android 5.0 software, which less than 10% of Android users now have.

But I rarely used the keyboard. “Let’s go to the closest pet store,” I said aloud while pressing the voice button on the Sonata’s steering wheel. “Here are the closest pet stores,” Google’s robot voice responded, with an on-screen list of stores, operating hours and drive times. Google has never given this helpful voice a name, but I took to calling her Flo.

With a couple of taps, I could call a store to see if they had my type of dog food. I used voice search for street addresses and points of interest, and not once did Flo misunderstand me.

Wired
It won’t let you scroll through your contact list—that steals too much attention away from driving—but the system does a good job pulling up names from voice commands, and will make sure to specify if you want to call someone’s work number or cell phone. Its solid transcription job is only lacking when it comes to punctuation, capitalization, and singing in a funny voice. When you receive a text, it reads the message aloud. Pronunciation isn’t perfect, but it handled “fghgdrhnkifdcjirdf” surprisingly well.
It’s buggy. For the first hour of driving, my contacts list wouldn’t work. The next day, it clicked in and didn’t cause any problems for the rest of the weekend. Most of the time, when I started the car, the sound from Android Auto wouldn’t work—no voice responses, and nothing from I Heart Radio or NPR One (the car’s regular radio worked). Unplugging the phone and plugging it back in solved the problem, an annoying but simple solution.

As of now, Android Auto colonizes the center screen and the speech button on the steering wheel. I’d like to see it more closely integrated with the car’s hardware, getting into the dashboard and a head up display (which the Sonata doesn’t offer). This criticism boils down to, give me more.

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/android-auto-first-great-car-infotainment-system/

Engadget

So if you're Hyundai, why would you agree to offer Android Auto if you've already invested time and money in your own in-car solution? Cason Grover, Hyundai's senior group manager for Cross-Carline Planning, says it's all about freedom of choice. "Right now if you want onboard maps, you have to use this SD card. ... That's good technology right now, but over time, mapping will become more and more offboard," he says, pointing to Google's ability to have real-time traffic info. But when it comes to driving in areas where you might not get great data reception, automotive GPS will still be useful. Brenner says that Android Auto also isn't meant to take over your car's internal system like heating and seat suspension.

But it's clear that carmakers like Hyundai see the benefit of partnering up with the likes of Google and Apple -- Hyundai's 2015 Sonatas with Navigation will also be compatible with Apple CarPlay down the road -- if only to make their vehicles more appealing to smartphone-savvy consumers. "We've learned quickly that to offer everything that everybody wants is not feasible, more so with apps on the phone," says Grover. "Google works with those developers, and those apps work with every Android Auto phone. All we have to do is work with Google to integrate it with the car."

To drive home the point, Hyundai is also planning on rolling out cars with a new head unit called Display Audio. It has a center console touchscreen like the Navigation models except that it won't come with embedded maps -- you'll have to supply your own. Not only does this make the cars a lot more affordable to the average consumer, but also it's when third-party solutions like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay really come into their own.

If you're ready to take the Android Auto plunge now, however, well you can always head on over to your closest Hyundai dealership to check out the new Sonatas with Navigation. If you're already a current owner of a 2015 Sonata with Navigation, you'll be able to take your car down to a dealer where you can update your car's software with Android Auto. You could also add an aftermarket unit from the likes of Pioneer or Parrot if you'd rather not give up your existing car. And, of course, you could also just wait for more automakers like Honda, Ford and Audi to roll out their own Android Auto-compatible vehicles later this year.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/26/android-auto-2015-hyundai-sonata/

jagowar

Until this becomes wireless I don't see many using it... Im not going to take my phone out of my pocket just to use this when I can do 90% of the stuff in here with bluetooth now.

gcubed

people aren't going to be happy when they realize that moving the phone functions to the console is going to bring about a handful of things people hate about their center consoles like speed lockouts and ... general functionality in the face of safety.

Sinfamy

Until this becomes wireless I don't see many using it... Im not going to take my phone out of my pocket just to use this when I can do 90% of the stuff in here with bluetooth now.

I'm surprised it didn't have built in LTE.
It really should be wireless and have a charging dock for your phone.

It's essentially mirroring your screen. That takes quite a bit of bandwidth and power. Bluetooth can't handle that alone.

Especially since Maps can drain the batter quite a bit.

gcubed

It's essentially mirroring your screen. That takes quite a bit of bandwidth and power. Bluetooth can't handle that alone.

bluetooth can barely handle transferring a text message to the head unit, not sure what the poster things bluetooth can do with anything else.

jwk94

After my bad experiences with Android, I don't think I would trust this. This really should be a phone dock though.

I can get behind this.

How long til you can buy a stand alone "stereo"?

I can already do most of this with a Pioneer AppRadio 3. Been using it for a while now and it's great. Pioneer's app sucks though and it limits you to certain approved apps, so I use ARUnchained Reloaded beta. It allows full mirroring. It also supports GPS injection, using the in-dash GPS antenna. It's far more accurate than my phone's GPS and it allows me to tuck my phone away without worrying about GPS signal strength.

Symphonia

Banned
So is this the future we face, all our cars and technology run by either Android or iOS? Man, are we well and truly fucked when Skynet goes rogue. Not even Emilia Clarke's eyebrows can save us from annihilation.

gcubed

So is this the future we face, all our cars and technology run by either Android or iOS? Man, are we well and truly fucked when Skynet goes rogue. Not even Emilia Clarke's eyebrows can save us from annihilation.

this is just a head unit and mostly has just been an "app" on the head unit. Since existing head unit technology is just slightly above something from 1993 anything... ANYTHING is better

Does everyone feel comfortable using touch screens while driving? It just looks clunky and unsafe to me. I feel like tactile controls are the best route to go as to keep as much of your attention to the road as possible.

Maybe I'm wrong.

SliChillax

So this drains my battery and I need to connect my phone? What's the point? My infotainment system in my car works wonderfully, fast and fluid with everything I need. Calling contacts is incredibly fast and easy and so is playing music via bluetooth. I really liked this but I always thought it was separate from your phone.

gcubed

So this drains my battery and I need to connect my phone? What's the point? My infotainment system in my car works wonderfully, fast and fluid with everything I need. Calling contacts is incredibly fast and easy and so is playing music via bluetooth. I really liked this but I always thought it was separate from your phone.

well.... it doesn't really drain your battery because its plugged in..

If you really think your infotainment system isn't terrible you're not the type of person who would be using this.

Symphonia

Banned
this is just a head unit and mostly has just been an "app" on the head unit. Since existing head unit technology is just slightly above something from 1993 anything... ANYTHING is better
But I can't help but feel we're heading towards a 'Powered by Android/iOS' revolution where all cars are run by a computer. Joking about Skynet aside, it does kind of terrify me that we're heading towards a future where we're completely dependant on technology. It might just be the head unit app for now, but who's to say we won't be driving iCars by 2030?

alatif113

One thing for sure, the UI looks waaaaay better and a lot less tackier than some of the luxury cars' navigation systems out today.

But I can't help but feel we're heading towards a 'Powered by Android/iOS' revolution where all cars are run by a computer. Joking about Skynet aside, it does kind of terrify me that we're heading towards a future where we're completely dependant on technology. It might just be the head unit app for now, but who's to say we won't be driving iCars by 2030?

Hoping to see self driving cars by 2050 then

NotBacon

Android Lollipop in my car? Yes please.

Although I do think it still needs some refinement. I'll wait for gen 2....

Im trying to be super open minded about this but it seems inferior to just getting and properly installing a car mount for your phablet, you can even get some with wireless charging if your phone supports it.

I dont understand why not just make it an app for current Android phones.

Im trying to be super open minded about this but it seems inferior to just getting and properly installing a car mount for you phablet, you can even get some with wireless charging if your phone supports it.

Because they want it to be self contained and integrated with the car while keep you from fiddling with you phone.

Toki767

I mean...I get using your phone's connection for things like streaming music or e-mails and all that.

But needing your phone's connection just for Maps? I'd rather have GPS already built into the car.

I mean...I get using your phone's connection for things like streaming music or e-mails and all that.

But needing your phone's connection just for Maps? I'd rather have GPS already built into the car.
But....it is.
It uses the car antenna for maps.
And it needs a connection for directions and updated points of interest.

If you don't have a connection, there's always Hyundai or whatever car manufacturer to go back to.

FinKL

I see the biggest use for this is if you are on T-mobile, most popular radio streaming sites offer unlimited streaming to your phone, so you can essentially ditch FM radio for this which seems awesome.

Toki767

But....it is.
It uses the car antenna for maps.
And it needs a connection for directions and updated points of interest.

If you don't have a connection, there's always Hyundai or whatever car manufacturer to go back to.

I was under the impression that you need your phone's connection to actually use Google Maps. Otherwise, it'd default to whatever stock navigation system is there.

Is that not true?

I was under the impression that you need your phone's connection to actually use Google Maps. Otherwise, it'd default to whatever stock navigation system is there.

Is that not true?
That is true, yes.

My whole point is that the only reason why Maps is awesome is because it requires a connection to the Internet.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Does everyone feel comfortable using touch screens while driving? It just looks clunky and unsafe to me. I feel like tactile controls are the best route to go as to keep as much of your attention to the road as possible.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Or you can just talk to it? "OK google. Take me home". Works great.

SliChillax

well.... it doesn't really drain your battery because its plugged in..
The Verge reviewer said that the phone gets pretty hot and even though it's plugged in it might drain your battery.

If you really think your infotainment system isn't terrible you're not the type of person who would be using this.
Sure but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have expected more from this.

Sure but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have expected more from this.
Well, what exactly were you expecting?
Car companies to just hand over control of their systems to Google and Apple? That's laughable.
This is likely the only way to get the Android experience in the car and I appreciate it.

jagowar

Car companies to just hand over control of their systems to Google and Apple? That's laughable.
This is likely the only way to get the Android experience in the car and I appreciate it.

They could have copied windows phone's driving mode and then it would have worked in virtually every new car sold for the past few years.

To me that's where car's should be going.... voice interaction.

If google put their effort into making google now do this stuff they would have a better product imo.

SliChillax

I was expecting to have Lollipop on my car without using my phone to power it. Just the fact that I have to plug in my phone makes this a deal breaker for me, I hate having cables hanging around in my interior. Was also expecting an even smoother and faster experience than my infotainment system but I only blame myself for the high expectations because I haven't been keeping up with Android Auto or Apple Car Play news.

I was waiting to have Lollipop on my car without using my phone to power it. Just the fact that I have to plug in my phone makes this a deal breaker for me, I hate having cables hanging around in my interior. Was also expecting an even smoother and faster experience than my infotainment system but I only blame myself for the high expectations because I haven't been keeping up with Android Auto or Apple Car Play news.
Well, if it wasn't gonna come from the phone, it would've had to be included in the car. That's obviously not gonna happen.

To your second point, you can just have the cable come from your center console. That's not too terrible.

The speed can be improved in software updates so it will improve over time.

SliChillax

Well, if it wasn't gonna come from the phone, it would've had to be included in the car. That's obviously not gonna happen.

To your second point, you can just have the cable come from your center console. That's not too terrible.

We'll see, it's a good start I guess.

Sean

Banned
It's in the code I believe but it's not live just yet.

Regardless, this takes up some power so you'll need to plug it up regardless.

Understandable but the fact that you have to plug it in is kinda of a pain. My current car doesn't have bluetooth and I often just listen to the FM radio rather than looking for the USB cord and plugging my phone in. (I realize complaining about plugging a USB cord in is the ultimate first world problem, but still). Wish it were more seamless.

Maybe inductive charge mats in the center console would help, or better yet some kind of technology that'd beam air waves and charge your smartphone without having to ever take it out of your pocket (though I'd imagine that's probably medically unsafe and wouldn't send enough power to the phone anyway).

gcubed

I mostly just like it because of the clean interface.

its always updated for free, it gets quick updates on traffic conditions, live updates for POI's. These are all things that are much better then just about every stock nav system out there.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Wait what cable? I'm assuming there is a USB port in the center console, so you would just plug your phone into that and put your phone in the center console, so the only wire would be hidden away.

Wait what cable? I'm assuming there is a USB port in the center console, so you would just plug your phone into that and put your phone in the center console, so the only wire would be hidden away.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
It does depend on the car and where the port is though.

Im trying to be super open minded about this but it seems inferior to just getting and properly installing a car mount for your phablet, you can even get some with wireless charging if your phone supports it.

It honestly is half assed. But this is generation 1, so there will be growing pains before it's perfect.

I like this idea that never came out better: Paragon cDTS Car dock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKR0C_Ez62Q

Meeeeeeh.

Head units with actual full android on them have existed for years and probably prefer one of those.

You can use any gps app you want like Waze.

You can still use the voice recognition.

You can connect reversing cameras.

And your phone is still free to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom