• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't Google be brave and expand the Nexus range? Go for a high end, bleeding-edge technology in a flagship device, and a lower spec'd midrange device (ie. Nexus Lite). I'm sure there's a market for it, not all nerds have masses of disposable income, or be able to commit to a contract deal.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Have HTC neutered the quick controls in the stock browser? Had a play with ICS on the gf's sensation and was disappointed it was missing all the cool options from stock ICS browser.

Nope, quick controls are large and in charge. Funny enough, they're the same blue as stock ICS. Kinda clashes, but they work all the same.

Why can't Google be brave and expand the Nexus range? Go for a high end, bleeding-edge technology in a flagship device, and a lower spec'd midrange device (ie. Nexus Lite). I'm sure there's a market for it, not all nerds have masses of disposable income, or be able to commit to a contract deal.

I just want Sony to design a Nexus device ONCE

kinggroin

Banned
http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/google-picks-samsung-for-4th-generation-nexus-phone

nooooo_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

I guess we will have to wait until the Nexus 5 for a true Google phone?

Third times a charm?

SimleuqiR

Third times a charm?

Not sure. But no other OEM is getting a chance to shine or fail with the Nexus program. Wouldn't mind seeing LG, Sony or even Panasonic go at it.

This whole "its ability to control the supply of key components" seems rather bullshit to me. Since when has any Nexus phone sold phenomenally well, that they are worried about supplies on components?

yogloo

I just found out that one of the apps that I bought long time ago wants me to pay again to redownload it. Who should I contact regarding this? Google or the developer?
This is kinda annoying.

I just found out that one of the apps that I bought long time ago wants me to pay again to redownload it. Who should I contact regarding this? Google or the developer?
This is kinda annoying.
That definitely shouldn't happen. Does it appear in your purchase history? Definitely on Google rather than the dev.

Cipherr

Holy shit at 3 Nexus phones in a row. Goddamn. /Cry for Sony not getting it. What are the odds that this is because Samsungs 5450 will be ready around that time and blow shit away?

Probably slim, Nexus lines really arent terribly flagshippy are they? I mean, the GN was no slouch, but still. The HW manufacturers probably save the really good stuff for their own line.

3phemeral

This is kinda annoying.

Is this the only app it happens with? Try checking your other purchased apps, if it also happens, you'll need to go into app manager & clear cache/clear data for the app market. Once you reassociate your account, it should be good. If that's not the issue, you should contact the app developer.

Lava Xolo X900 (first x86 phone) reviewed:

The Atom Z2460 in the X900 is a competent dual-core Cortex A9 competitor with competitive battery life and power draw, and no doubt Z2580 (its dual core, SGX544MP2 high end counterpart clearly targeted at Windows 8 platforms) will be equally as competitive against quad core A9s. If Intel's goal with both Medfield and the X900 was to establish a foothold in the smartphone SoC space and demonstrate that it can indeed deliver x86 in a smaller form factor and lower power profile than ever before then it truly is mission accomplished.

The x86 power myth is finally busted. While the X900 doesn't lead in battery life, it's competitive with the Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy Nexus. In terms of power efficiency, the phone is distinctly middle of the road - competitive with many of the OMAP 4 based devices on the market today. If you've been expecting the first x86 smartphone to end up at the bottom of every battery life chart, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Lots-o-charts.

gcubed

I read from a source that the HTC One X from AT&T is not a quad-core processor phone: http://www.examiner.com/article/at-t-htc-one-x-gets-a-release-date-of-5-6-2012

Why is this? I've been waiting on this phone to get that quad-core processor speed and to find out that it doesn't have it is really disappointing. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

The tegra3 doesnt support LTE. Don't fret though, the S4 is just as good (if not better) then the tegra3 thats used everywhere else.

Holy shit at 3 Nexus phones in a row. Goddamn. /Cry for Sony not getting it. What are the odds that this is because Samsungs 5450 will be ready around that time and blow shit away?

Probably slim, Nexus lines really arent terribly flagshippy are they? I mean, the GN was no slouch, but still. The HW manufacturers probably save the really good stuff for their own line.

while the OMAP in the GNex doesnt set the world on fire, it was the first phone with there new chipset. The Nexus One was the first and only nexus device that pushed things.

Ephemeris

Balls.

Not sure. But no other OEM is getting a chance to shine or fail with the Nexus program. Wouldn't mind seeing LG, Sony or even Panasonic go at it.
This,
I'm amazed that Moto isn't doing it.

.. and Also this!

Although I read the " and its ability to control the supply of key components” line to mean: "Apple can't muscle their way in and supply the cost/availability of key components"

Talon

Google was not going to hand the Nexus phone to Motorola and compete directly against their partners.

I would have loved to see HTC get another shot with the beauty of the One X. Or, you know, Sony.

tino

Banned
Before the Galaxy Nexus was announced, there was pretty of rumor that the next Galaxy is made by Motorola. I wouldn't take that rumor seriously.

Really does it matter? If Google pick a crappy CPU again, then it doesn't matter which verdor it's going with.

Donos

Before the Galaxy Nexus was announced, there was pretty of rumor that the next Galaxy is made by Motorola. I wouldn't take that rumor seriously.

Really does it matter? If Google pick a crappy CPU again, then it doesn't matter which verdor it's going with.

there also was a quad core LG Nexus rumor.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung might get the next Nexus, but who's going to get the Play Phone? ...

Also, Chrome for Android is absolute shit. I uninstalled that garbage a month or so ago. Best decision I've made. I look forward to actually using it in the future when it's complete. As of now, it's not worth using over the stock browser.

Futureman

why does LG always get mentioned when Nexus comes up? What phone have they ever made that was nice? Pretty sure they've never had a very popular (review or consumer-wise) Android phone.

Here's my situation with AT&T:

I recently bought a new phone with a renewed contract with them about a couple weeks ago, but I want to return the phone for an HTC One X.

The question is, are there any extra charges for returning the phone I just bought? The reason I had to get a new phone before the HTC One X release was because I needed a backup phone and I did not have one at the time.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

I recently bought a new phone with a renewed contract with them about a couple weeks ago, but I want to return the phone for an HTC One X.

The question is, are there any extra charges for returning the phone I just bought? The reason I had to get a new phone before the HTC One X release was because I needed a backup phone and I did not have one at the time.

If "recently" is more than 30 days, yes you might be charged
If "recently" is less than 30 days, no, chances are you probably won't be

ep85

I'm pretty sure you get charged a restocking fee. 35, I think..

You can probably complain your way out of it though.

Husker86

If "recently" is more than 30 days, yes you might be charged
If "recently" is less than 30 days, no, chances are you probably won't be

Depending on where you got it, even if within 30 days you might have to pay a restocking fee. It's probably just $35 or so.

DXPett1

I would've loved to have seen Sony's attempt at a Nexus.

This. Heck I just want to see someone else other than Samsung have a go (even if it goes back to HTC). Nexus line would be a chance to reward loyal OEMs and give them a chance to work closely/hand in hand with Google and thus both parties gain from the experience.

tino

Banned
This. Heck I just want to see someone else other than Samsung have a go (even if it goes back to HTC). Nexus line would be a chance to reward loyal OEMs and give them a chance to work closely/hand in hand with Google and thus both parties gain from the experience.

Sony: "Mr. Google may I please make Nexus phone for you?"
Google: "LOL get your shit together first."
LG: "Hey Google did you hear the rumor that I am going make Nexus phone for you? The people has spoken!"
Google:"...Yeah How many fake rumor did you leak last week?"
Motorola: "Dude I serious think it's time for us to do the Nexus phone now."
Google: "Quiet I am trying to sell you to Huawei. Wait... here go sue Cisco with these patents."
HTC: "Google how soon you have forgotten your first partner?! I thought we had something special!!!" U_U
Samsung: "Yo Google what's up. How about those Galaxy Note sales number, not too shabby huh?"
Google: "Alright, shut up. Here is the deal, which one of you can show me your royalty will be rewarded with the Nexus contact."
Motorola: "I will make the thinnest phone ever; I will use bulletproof material, I mean I will advertise the bulletproof material; I... I will name it 'Startec Nexus'!"
HTC: "I will use the 'triple bass' technology; I will buy the best screen ever on the market; I will add lazer-guided focus beam to my camera!"
Google: "Really?"
Samsung: "You know the Apple 7.85" iPad? I will make sure they won't have enough screen and memory components."
Google: "A winner is you!"

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I would've loved to have seen Sony's attempt at a Nexus.
I picked up an experia s this week. The design is really nice, and I'm surprised by how slick everything feels. A flagship phone designed by Sony would really give android a premium feel, imo.

Does anybody here have a Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 ? My iPod jack connector has died on me so I may buy this to replace it (with a 32gb µSD). If yes, could you tell me about it ? Do you like it ? How its usage has been ?

Thanks.

yogloo

Is this the only app it happens with? Try checking your other purchased apps, if it also happens, you'll need to go into app manager & clear cache/clear data for the app market. Once you reassociate your account, it should be good. If that's not the issue, you should contact the app developer.

Only 1 app. I'm going to contact the google later. I still have the receipt.

I read from a source that the HTC One X from AT&T is not a quad-core processor phone: http://www.examiner.com/article/at-t-htc-one-x-gets-a-release-date-of-5-6-2012

Why is this? I've been waiting on this phone to get that quad-core processor speed and to find out that it doesn't have it is really disappointing. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Krait has better performance than Tegra 3 in most cases, it's "only dual core", but a newer, more efficient and powerful generation of processor.

If they can come to an acceptable black level for the panel, then I agree. Otherwise, RGB OLED.

acceptable black or proper black?

So...I'm due for an upgrade in May and was going to wait until the Galaxy 3 came out, but my phone decided to implode on itself today. Now I need to buy one. What is the best phone available on Sprint's network? The new Evo coming next month any good?

So...I'm due for an upgrade in May and was going to wait until the Galaxy 3 came out, but my phone decided to implode on itself today. Now I need to buy one. What is the best phone available on Sprint's network? The new Evo coming next month any good?

right now? Galaxy Nexus.

EVO 4G LTE should take the crown in most people's eyes when it lauches.

right now? Galaxy Nexus.

EVO 4G LTE should take the crown in most people's eyes when it lauches.

Hmmm...and the Evo LTE is only $200? Does the dual core have a better output than the quad core of the Nexus? I've been out of the phone scene for a while, so I'm a bit lost at most of the new items. I just had to look up what LTE even meant lol

Hmmm...and the Evo LTE is only $200? Does the dual core have a better output than the quad core of the Nexus? I've been out of the phone scene for a while, so I'm a bit lost at most of the new items. I just had to look up what LTE even meant lol

the EVO LTE and Nexus are both dual core, but the EVO is based on newer architecture and is easily ahead in benchmark performance. plus it has a Kickstand!

the EVO LTE and Nexus are both dual core, but the EVO is based on newer architecture and is easily ahead in benchmark performance. plus it has a Kickstand!

Well, I guess I'll be getting the kickstand...er, Evo LTE then. Now comes the hard part. The only phone I have as a back up until then is my old HTC Touch. Yeah, the old Windows 6.5 based one. Supposedly the Evo will release on the 18th if you preorder early enough, so Ill have a long wait with this old baby...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom