• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angelina Jolie stole a baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgurdo

Banned
Why do westerners always look to asia to adopt babies, anyway? Don't like the selection here? Can't brag about westerners being so superior to the east that we have to raise their kids for them if they get one from their home state?

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Actually there are not enough babies in the west to adopt,they put you on a list you will have to wait 5 in best case from what i heard,a friend picked up a thai baby boy because his wife supposedly couldnt get any.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jolie adopted the child from an orphanage - so it was an orphan. She didn't go to these people and ask them to select a child for her, she did it herself when she visited the orphanage in cambodia. She simply looked for their help in bringing the child over and adopting it, but they weren't involved in finding the child (and thus "acquiring" one that wasn't an orphan).

- also were the babies actually stolen, or was it a case that they were "just" misrepresented as orphans?

karasu

belgurdo said:
Why do westerners always look to asia to adopt babies, anyway? Don't like the selection here? Can't brag about westerners being so superior to the east that we have to raise their kids for them if they get one from their home state?

You're seriously exaggeratting about how common it is.

belgurdo said:

That's just ignorant.

Some of the adoption programs in the U.S. can actually be pretty shoddy. I did plenty of research on my own before we decided to adopt our kids from Korea. One big difference is when you are dealing with a trusted agency (unlike this Cambodian situation) you don't have to worry about some long lost family of the birth mother, who may have never had any contact with family before this, coming out of the shadows and demanding rights to the child that you adopted as your own.
In the U.S., much like many places around the world, blood is the most important thing when it comes to the ruling in court. Rarely are the childs best interests really taken in to account, no matter what they try to tell you. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time, but I sure as hell didn't want to take the risk.

There are many other factors involved with my personal experience (cost, age, wait).

If you'd like to educate yourself, feel free to ask away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom