• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing DS worry

Something about Animal Crossing DS I had not yet considered. On the N64 and GameCube they were fine with having a dozen or two NES games included. However, on the portable front they've recently been selling these games all alone for $20. To protect these sales, could Animal Crossing DS dump the NES games? Or perhaps just leave the ones nobody would buy seprately, like Soccer and DK Jr. Math?

A compromise might be to include some early GB games, since those can't be natively played on the DS. Things like Super Mario Land and Alleyway. However, that's just wild speculation.

42373.md.JPG

PkunkFury

About Animal Crossing DS, have they revealed how we will save all the data for our town? I'm not sure what type of room can be allowed for saving on the DS carts...

If this is a port it would be cool if they found a way to let us port the data from our GameCube town onto the DS but with no connection for the GBA to GameCube chord I wonder if that would be possible, I'd hate to by the same game again AND ahve to start over from scratch after playing it for like 3 months

CVXFREAK said:
Man, Animal Crossing DS sounds so exciting. Long flights will no longer be boring!
i'm afraid that the 10 hour battery won't be enough for me, especially the first few weeks when i want to pay off my house etc....

scola said:
This would almost instantly be rectified by touch screen pattern making.
I'm pretty sure this was shown in the first shots and footage. And is a Good Thing!

PkunkFury said:
About Animal Crossing DS, have they revealed how we will save all the data for our town? I'm not sure what type of room can be allowed for saving on the DS carts...
True, it will certainly use an above-average amount of save space... but it must not be too big of an issue if they're actually making the thing.

Ahh, here's that IGNDS story on all DS games being able to save...
http://ds.ign.com/articles/550/550120p1.html
The size of the save RAM in Nintendo DS games will be equivalent to what's already available on the Game Boy Advance: 4 kilobits (half a kilobyte) for starters, with sizes all the way up to 512 kilobits (64 kilobytes) and beyond made available to games that require it. Naturally, the larger the storage capacity, the more expensive the cartridge's manufacturing price.
Well, if it saves the same amount of space as the GCN version I guess it will be significantly more space than average, and probably cost extra. If I remember correctly the GCN version uses 57 blocks for the town and 1 block for saving scores on the NES game... which combined comes to 464 kilobytes.

If this is a port it would be cool if they found a way to let us port the data from our GameCube town onto the DS but with no connection for the GBA to GameCube chord I wonder if that would be possible, I'd hate to by the same game again AND ahve to start over from scratch after playing it for like 3 months
But just continuing to play your same town on a different format would be a bit meh, too. Animal Crossing can still be good fun once you're mostly "done", but working toward that big house, store, number of neighbors, etc. is a lot of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if they allowed for some trading between the games using the passwords, though.

I think it'd be super cool if it had a gameboy/GBC in it instead with some free oldschool stuff instead. If they put the Metroid and Tetris games in it I'd never leave the house again.

The first footage does show a touchscreen pattern editor, yeah. It also shows a touchscreen item screen.

I'm just hoping for wireless multiplay and trading. Well, on second thought maybe not because then life=owned.

snapty00

Banned
I won't have much of it use for it if it doesn't include some emulated games. Animal Crossing is just an interface to play those games.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Animal crossing could always use the GBA slot as a peripheral memory card just for that game. A special GBA cart with just ram or something. Though I imagine that the memory size is restricted by some kind of controller and not simply being able to shove it all in the cart.

Though I couldn't say for sure.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
impirius said:
I'm just worried that there's not going to be an online component.

C'mon Nintendo. Don't let me down...

Think about what you just said there. Nintendo and online are complete opposites, and unless they do a complete 180 we won't be playing AC online anytime soon.

impirius

deadlifter said:
Think about what you just said there. Nintendo and online are complete opposites, and unless they do a complete 180 we won't be playing AC online anytime soon.
Hope springs eternal

I really hope this isn't just a port. Nintendo needs to add new things that take advantage of DS's features.

Mini-games using the touch-screen, more possibilities when visiting your friend's town, mic interaction, just generaly more shit to do, just to ensure that I won't need my real life any more.

The slogan should be: "Need a life? Nintendo is selling one for 50$"

deadlifter said:
Think about what you just said there. Nintendo and online are complete opposites, and unless they do a complete 180
Like... releasing a system with the capability to wirelessly access the Internet built in?

Cathcart

impirius said:
I'm just worried that there's not going to be an online component.

C'mon Nintendo. Don't let me down...
I think it has to be in there. I don't even need much, though. Really I'd be happy with the ability to send mail/items to people over the internet just to get rid of those codes. But if you could visit each others towns that way...oh yeah, then it's on.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I have said this since AC released in the US. Being able to visit someones house and multiplay their virtual NES games is a killer app, especially online ;)

aoi tsuki

scola said:
I have said this since AC released in the US. Being able to visit someones house and multiplay their virtual NES games is a killer app, especially online ;)
Where's all this AC DS online talk coming from? i'd just be happy with an updated AC with more, persistent ways to kill time, a more streamlined interface, and a death of passwords. WiFi play is a given.

PkunkFury

I seem to remember Miyamoto, or someone at Nintendo hinting that they thought it'd be great if layers could trade items online. I would count on something like that being implemented, but I'd be real surprised if we get anything more. Animal crossing would be a great MMORPG if done right, but I don't think they'll even try

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
aoi tsuki said:
Where's all this AC DS online talk coming from? i'd just be happy with an updated AC with more, persistent ways to kill time, a more streamlined interface, and a death of passwords. WiFi play is a given.
What I said has nothing to do with DS AC. I have just been talking about possible online/multiplayer functions since AC was originally released in the US. Virtual NES is just one of the angles. Mostly I was concerned with user creted content etc.

Wireless is a given, WiFi however...

It is just a cool idea, not an inevitability or even a persistent rumor.

aoi tsuki

scola said:
What I said has nothing to do with DS AC. I have just been talking about possible online/multiplayer functions since AC was originally released in the US. Virtual NES is just one of the angles. Mostly I was concerned with user creted content etc.

Wireless is a given, WiFi however...

It is just a cool idea, not an inevitability or even a persistent rumor.
i see.

In any case, if Nintendo's keeping their proprietary wireless protocol, which i'll continue to call Bluetooth until it's confirmed otherwise, for alerting and WiFi for play, WiFi will be the only way to play with others. Keep in mind that WiFi is just a standard, and can be used for both local and internet play, assuming there's a service/application to handle internet communications.

Memles

Really...doesn't the wireless multiplayer at least guarantee that, in fact, people will at least be able to visit a friend's town while they're there, with two systems in the same area?

Flynn

deadlifter said:

I thought I saw a screen of two AC humans talking to each other.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
A compromise might be to include some early GB games, since those can't be natively played on the DS. Things like Super Mario Land and Alleyway. However, that's just wild speculation.
Great idea actually, I'g like Super Mario Land 2, Donkey Kong '94 and Link's Awakening myself. :)

Jumpman Jr. said:
Anyone know if this will be a launch title?
I don't know if anyone (allowed to talk) knows that anything is a launch title yet.

jarrod said:
Great idea actually, I'g like Super Mario Land 2, Donkey Kong '94 and Link's Awakening myself. :)
Certainly those would be awesome, yeah. But the higher profile they are the more likely they are to not want to include them free. Still burned and confused by the fact that Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda are in Animal Crossing US, but were never made accessible without a cheat device. o_O

Memles

I think this could logically make launch...if it's simply the N64 version ported with the ability to travel to a friend's town while they're playing and nothing more.

If they actually try to change the game (Adding new localization, more than four dialogue types, etc.) it'll be next bloody fall. It's simplicity now, indepth later. I vote later.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Certainly those would be awesome, yeah. But the higher profile they are the more likely they are to not want to include them free.
Yeah, I'd agree... but one or two higher profile later gen games wouldn't hurt. Fingers crossed for DK94 and Zelda. :)

Top Bottom