• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annual Free Slurpee Day at 7-Eleven tomorrow (Thu 7/11), now 12-oz instead of 7.11-oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Free Slurpees get almost twice as big this year

The free Slurpee isn't just growing in hype this year — it's growing in size.

Almost twice the size.

7-Eleven, the nation's largest convenience store chain, is junking the 7.11-ounce Slurpee that it's given away for the past decade by the millions on Slurpee's unofficial birthday — July 11 — and will replace it on Thursday, during this year's Free Slurpee Day, with 12-ounce Slurpees.

For those counting, that's 42% more free Slurpee
, says Laura Gordon, vice president of marketing and brand innovation. She estimates that the chain will give away about 7 million Slurpees on Thursday at a retail value of $7.6 million. "It helps us reconnect with people who love the Slurpee," she says.

The real reason for the larger-size freebie: less mess. "Moms asked us for cups with lids," says Gordon, and unlike the 7.11-ounce cups, the conventional, 12-ounce Slurpees come with lids. "That means less mess in the car."

Free Slurpee Day is the sugary, ice-laden beverage's biggest marketing push of the year — coming near the peak of the hot summer season when demand is at a zenith. The chain has been hyping the promotion on Facebook since March 11. It's pushed out gobs of Instagram photos. It's even selling Slurpee-branded merchandise at some locations during the promotion, including neon-colored Slurpee sunglasses and flip-flops that say Slurpee on the bottom.

Arguably, the 46-year-old Slurpee has more consumer cachet than does the 7-Eleven chain itself. If you're keeping score digitally, Slurpee has more than 5 million Facebook fans, vs. 7-Eleven's 3 million.

"Slurpee is the back-to-the-future part of our culture," says brand guru Allen Adamson. "For teens on a budget, 'free' is a great motivator — especially on a hot, summer day when they have nothing else to do."

That's the heart of Slurpee's target, says Gordon: 18 to 24-year-old guys.

While Gordon says that the promotion is all about saying thank-you to the chain's customers, she concedes there's far more at stake. "It's Slurpee's biggest marketing tool," she says. "It reminds people about Slurpee — but thanks them at the same time."

Not to forget: It's a sales bonanza, too.

Even though small Slurpees are free during the promotion — which runs from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time — overall Slurpee sales are expected to jump as much as 40% on Thursday, compared with a typical July day, says Gordon.

"For some people, a small Slurpee is not enough," she says.

The three biggest-selling items on past freebie Slurpee days: chips, beef jerky and, of course, hot dogs

OHTdiC5.jpg

AMUSIX

which runs from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Does this seem wrong to anyone? I know they do it for shorter hours, but would making it be their original hours of 7-11 really make that much a difference?

I feel like they always run out.

Then go to the next one. This is near my house....and at least two aren't shown on the map:
dARy2Kn.jpg

ScrubJay

I miss living in a place with 7-11 :(

On the plus side, Valero has 99 cent 40 ounce Big Red Icee's all summer. When the machine works, that is.

Celegus

I walk right by a 7-11 on my way to the animal shelter after work, but you'd be crazy to think I'd actually drink one of those things. They'd have to pay me a hefty sum, not just make it free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom