• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Century's Episode R |OT| Manly mecha actions joins the HD generation

Neo Member
Bebpo said:
From the stream I see what you're saying about the first FMP mission. It seems in general that the bosses have a tooooooooon of life and you gotta grind them down. At least the bosses in everyone's mission 1.

The FMP stuff in general has been sort of garbage. From what I can tell, the Arbalest is one of the only mecha that cannot fly or airdash and Sousuke's main weapon is a shotgun, which has the shortest range of all the guns I've used so far. A lot of flying enemies are nearly impossible to hit and some of the bosses are just a straight up pain. After trying the second Spring bossfight over and over again, I gave up and restarted from the Macross F storyline. The difference is amazing.

TimeKillr

Ugh. UPS screwed up and I won't get it till tomorrow. Watching the stream I'm going insane, I want it NOW! :)

LOL this is the first time I get screwed by UPS, but it's funny apparently.

Unless their tracking system is fucked, my package went from HK to Korea before going to the states... wtf? :)

Why are you going to Korea, UPS?

TreIII

Amiami shipped out my copy earlier this day. If things are in my favor, I may get it by Saturday. No later than Monday. :D :D

YES SUCCESS!!!

2010augustpickups06.jpg

And a random Gundam Wii game to boot. :lol Now for work to finish. =( I might do a live stream as well when I start it up after I get home.

TreIII said:
Amiami shipped out my copy earlier this day. If things are in my favor, I may get it by Saturday. No later than Monday. :D :D

I've got a combined order with a bunch of figures, so I have to wait at least until the 25th before they'll ship mine. I guess being a cheapskate wins out over getting it sooner, but at least it won't be that long of a wait.

Also, given that this supports custom soundtracks, I plan to use "Anime ja Nai" pretty much every chance I get...appropriate or not :lol

donkey show said:
And a random Gundam Wii game to boot. :lol Now for work to finish. =( I might do a live stream as well when I start it up after I get home.

I have the Gamecube version of SD Gundam Gashapon Wars, it's ok.

distantmantra said:
I have the Gamecube version of SD Gundam Gashapon Wars, it's ok.
I had no idea it came out for the Wii, plus I couldn't help but get another CC Pro. :lol It'll be fun time killer here and there.

And at least you can mess around in the tutorial/loading screen instead of just watching a bar fill up.

I pre ordered this from Yes Asia. I broke bank after I promised myself I wouldn't. I haven't gotten a shipping confirmation yet, hope it ships soon.

donkey show said:
I had no idea it came out for the Wii, plus I couldn't help but get another CC Pro. :lol It'll be fun time killer here and there.

And at least you can mess around in the tutorial/loading screen instead of just watching a bar fill up.

I heard the Wii version has some kind of dungeon crawler mode. I'd get it if I had a Wii.

Bebpo said:
What's wrong with the targetting?
It's kinda shitty. It doesn't want to lock onto what I want every so often and I'm totally disorented. Make sure you have auto target off to make it easier to bear with. And I finally beat this boss... fucking hell thank you King Gainer. :lol

lupinko

TimeKillr said:
Ugh. UPS screwed up and I won't get it till tomorrow. Watching the stream I'm going insane, I want it NOW! :)

LOL this is the first time I get screwed by UPS, but it's funny apparently.

Unless their tracking system is fucked, my package went from HK to Korea before going to the states... wtf? :)

Why are you going to Korea, UPS?

I'm guessing UPS' next hub is in Korea from HK. That's normal for courier companies to have extra hub stops during transit.
Yes, I am in the shipping industry.

Shouta

donkey show said:
ARGH, RANKA'S STUPID FACE BLOCKS MY SCREEN@!!!

Oh god, I'm not looking forward to that. Been playing SB3 but I think I'll get some ACE:R tomorrow.

Just not sure who to start with.

TimeKillr

lupinko said:
I'm guessing UPS' next hub is in Korea from HK. That's normal for courier companies to have extra hub stops during transit.
Yes, I am in the shipping industry.

I've ordered from em quite often and it's never stopped in Korea... Usually it goes straight HK -> Anchorage -> Louisville -> Montreal, not HK -> Korea -> blah.

That extra step cost me a day :(

Great, just got it!

Gonna pop it into our PS3 here during lunch... Wooo :)

Shouta said:
Oh god, I'm not looking forward to that. Been playing SB3 but I think I'll get some ACE:R tomorrow.

Just not sure who to start with.
Regardless of who you start with, you'll see that moe blob take up 90% of the screen in due time. =/

And just for reference, I've done 8 levels in the FMP story line and have clocked in nearly 5 hours thanks to retries against certain bosses... :lol Fun game, but not as solid control wise as I had hoped. King Gainer is a god send though with his Over Skill that slows down time. Also the first thing you should do when upgrading your pilot is improving their tension rate. Obviously the tension bar fills up much faster when you do so, making it a lot easier to activate stronger weapons.

donkey show said:
It's kinda shitty. It doesn't want to lock onto what I want every so often and I'm totally disorented. Make sure you have auto target off to make it easier to bear with.

Is there any way to disengage a lock-on? Right now it seems if you're locked on but want to view+travel in a different direction you need to cycle the targets till it locks onto one in the direction you wanted to go or transform into jet mode(I'm using Orguss). I have auto-targeting off and target set to direction but it's still an annoyance.

Also melee is kinda amusing. Sometimes you'll be too far to dash and melee but the game will say "fuck it" and pretty much teleports you to the enemy. It's so odd to see but it works in my favor so ok.

JKTrix

Space A Cobra said:
Is there any way to disengage a lock-on? Right now it seems if you're locked on but want to view+travel in a different direction you need to cycle the targets till it locks onto one in the direction you wanted to go or transform into jet mode(I'm using Orguss). I have auto-targeting off and target set to direction but it's still an annoyance.

Judging from video, lockon seems to be linked with L2. Maybe if you hold it down for a while you'll disengage?

Judging from video, lockon seems to be linked with L2. Maybe if you hold it down for a while you'll disengage?

Absolutely correct.

Space A Cobra said:
Also melee is kinda amusing. Sometimes you'll be too far to dash and melee but the game will say "fuck it" and pretty much teleports you to the enemy. It's so odd to see but it works in my favor so ok.
That's how I was able to have somewhat of an air game with Arbalest. Press circle to grapple and it flies high into the sky to meet the enemy. :lol

And I have about 5 hours worth of lulzy gameplay from last night using Arbalest, a terrible attempt at Crossbone X-1, and King Gainer on my justin.tv page here: http://www.justin.tv/gevurah22

I'll run the stream again tonight if you guys like.

TimeKillr

Space A Cobra said:

Having played a bit during lunch, it took me a little while to understand all the mechanics (and I probably still don't know them all, honestly). Stuff like tension and special attacks took me a little bit of time to get, but generally it's not that bad.

Melee is simple, though. There's 3 different targeting reticles:
- Yellow with the 3 lines pointing outwards. This means you're out of range for your guns / ranged weapons.
- Yellow with the 3 lines forming a triangle. This means you're in range for your guns.
- Red (sometimes orange). This means that if you initiate a melee attack, you will essentially teleport on your enemy and hit them in melee.

So far I like it - it's a bit strange, and there's a lot of stuff to learn/manage, but I'll get by. I tried out King Gainer, Macross Zero, Gundam Z and another series I don't know (it's the one with the sword in the logo, and I didn't have my kana sheets to translate the series name).

King Gainer was pretty easy to play with but the non-offensive abilities I have no god damn clue what they do. Macross Zero was filled with sections where you were flying and that threw me off, Gundam Z I died at the very end of the boss fight (sigh) and the other series was so insanely easy mode... :)

I have a question, though. King Gainer can grab enemies - what can you do with them? Everything I've used threw the guy I was holding, so I never figured out what it means.

Oh, also: some moves in the move list have a (D) sign next to buttons. What does this mean? Holding down the button?

TimeKillr said:
King Gainer was pretty easy to play with but the non-offensive abilities I have no god damn clue what they do. Macross Zero was filled with sections where you were flying and that threw me off, Gundam Z I died at the very end of the boss fight (sigh) and the other series was so insanely easy mode... :)

I have a question, though. King Gainer can grab enemies - what can you do with them? Everything I've used threw the guy I was holding, so I never figured out what it means.

Oh, also: some moves in the move list have a (D) sign next to buttons. What does this mean? Holding down the button?
I'm still learning Gainer, but it's my favorite mecha so far in the game. I'm also somewhat confused at the grapple, but I primarily use it to delay the enemy then drop some melee attacks on their ass. And what do you mean by non-offensive skills... like the 5 tension over skill or the shield with circle?

d means delay. So if the combo goes: Triangle, Up+(d)Triangle... after the first triangle attack, delay the next attack by less than a half second then input.

And some things to remember:

- level up tension rate first
- leveling up action unlocks more skills
- attack levels up your ranged attack power
- combo levels up your melee attack power

TimeKillr

donkey show said:
I'm still learning Gainer, but it's my favorite mecha so far in the game. I'm also somewhat confused at the grapple, but I primarily use it to delay the enemy then drop some melee attacks on their ass. And what do you mean by non-offensive skills... like the 5 tension over skill or the shield with circle?

d means delay. So if the combo goes: Triangle, Up+(d)Triangle... after the first triangle attack, delay the next attack by less than a half second then input.

And some things to remember:

- level up tension rate first
- leveling up action unlocks more skills
- attack levels up your ranged attack power
- combo levels up your melee attack power

Gainer seems to have 2 charge attacks that didn't do anything I noticed outright. Might be me, though, and I'm sure they do something, I just don't know what.

And thanks for the delay info. :)

JKTrix

Donkey Show I'd watch your stream.

I'm watching def_ender right now (live) and he's doing the Macross missions, I see what you meant about Ranka coming on the screen :p I thought it was just once, but she pops up *every time* the 'kira' part of the song comes up.

TimeKillr said:
Gainer seems to have 2 charge attacks that didn't do anything I noticed outright. Might be me, though, and I'm sure they do something, I just don't know what.

And thanks for the delay info. :)
No problem! I forget what the level 3 charge does, but level 5 is the reason why I love Gainer so much. It activates his Over Skill which slows down time for a rather extended period of time.. It also gets you access to the level 2 Over Freeze skill which does some nice damage.

JKTrix said:
Donkey Show I'd watch your stream.

I'm watching def_ender right now (live) and he's doing the Macross missions, I see what you meant about Ranka coming on the screen :p I thought it was just once, but she pops up *every time* the 'kira' part of the song comes up.

Thanks man! I'll probably throw it up around 8-9 PM PST. And yeah, I raged when that moe blob interfered with my ass kicking. =/

xero273

TimeKillr said:
So far I like it - it's a bit strange, and there's a lot of stuff to learn/manage, but I'll get by. I tried out King Gainer, Macross Zero, Gundam Z and another series I don't know (it's the one with the sword in the logo, and I didn't have my kana sheets to translate the series name).

The one with the sword is Aquarion.

Bebpo said:
they added blocking?

when would you ever need to block instead of just dodging?
Some units can block like the Crossbones and King Gainer. The only times I really needed to block was after boosting several times and had some boost delay occur.

ElyrionX

Alright guys, I like giant robots but I haven't watched any robot anime part from some random episodes of Gundam. I thought ZOE2 was brilliant. Will I like this game?

I've seen the gameplay trailers and it doesn't look very polished at all. The backgrounds are really ugly as well. Plus, for the cost of this game, I can effectively buy two brand new games.

Any thoughts?

ElyrionX said:
Alright guys, I like giant robots but I haven't watched any robot anime part from some random episodes of Gundam. I thought ZOE2 was brilliant. Will I like this game?

I've seen the gameplay trailers and it doesn't look very polished at all. The backgrounds are really ugly as well. Plus, for the cost of this game, I can effectively buy two brand new games.

Any thoughts?
Hmmm, in a sense... it's like a poor man's ZOE in regards to gameplay. It definitely needs refining, which is kinda sad, but if you're a mecha geek, you'll live through and enjoy the game for what it's worth... a licensed mecha action game wankfest. :lol

I've popped in 12 hours and I haven't finished the FMP path yet! :lol It's pretty enjoyable once you level though, so you'll be blowing shit up like none other, just like in the animes. This game also loves some Macross Frontier as I've heard pretty much all the vocal songs from that game in here
on top of having a decent chunk of the game's story based around it.
So yeah, this game definitely has a lot to do. ^^

BTW, Hi-Nu is in.

srwhotnews_acer8_hinu.jpg

:D Dunno how to get it yet though.

And I'm still streaming if you want to check it out: http://www.justin.tv/gevurah22#/w/331511392

Duckroll confirmed Hi Nu the other day, but it's nice to see it!

My copy got here this morning, but I've got to put the second coat of paint in the basement, and then it's date night with the wife. I'll play some tomorrow.

Good deal! Apparently you need to clear 10 routes to unlock it. I've only beat FMP's route and that took... 12 some odd hours! :lol It should be easy the rest of the way through though. Klan Klan's attacks really helped me out in the end. Soo good!

So some thoughts now that I've finished one go:
- Like anything, game gets much better after you level. If it's your first time playing an ACE game, I suggest playing on easy as anything higher will probably frustrate you to death.
- Controls do not feel very intuitive with the sub-weapon switching, especially when you have to switch through 4 tabs of attacks
- Bosses are frustratingly hard... initially. I had a tough time with a few because I didn't have a complete grasp on the controls. But once you know their patterns, they're ridiculously easy. Sub-weapons are your friends.
- A lot of stuff feels unpolished and lacks that "wow" factor. Like when you kill a boss, the screen just fades away... no sense of "fuck yeah you blow up in an epic explosion."
- Chase mode is meh.
- Ranka Lee's face

I know it sounds like I hate the game, but I don't. It's really fun once you start having a semblance of some destructive power instead of pea shooting enemies to death, grasping the controls at will, and of course it's a mecha wankfest that should've been done a long time ago this gen.

Couple tips:
- Raise your tension rate first in the pilot skills, you'll thank me later
- Raise your boost so you can boost evade like none other
- Vary your attacks to get a higher glamor rating, spamming sub-attacks usually helps
- Attempting to grab an enemy outside of range will damn near zero-shift your unit to close proximity, much better than boosting would at speed. Great for any unit, especially Arbalest who can't "fly."

Also... Meltran bootie!!!

srwhotnews_acer8_fkk2.jpg

:lol

Top Bottom