• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any good MAME/Acade games?

COCKLES

being watched
amrum said:
I've heard you can play these arcade games on X-box ? How is the emulation ?

Pretty good.

Best thing to happen to MAME is Xport taking up the task. He updates his emulators endlessly until their perfect. Don't expect 3D games to run - you won't be playing Rave Racer or Virtua Fighter 2 on Xbox. But most shooters run pretty flawessly, even the more recent ones up to 2000.

For CPS / Capcom / Neo Geo use Kawaks - which is for the best as you can free up more space on your DVD-R (if like me you burn to disc) for MAME. :D

aku:jiki

COCKLES said:
Best thing to happen to MAME is Xport taking up the task. He updates his emulators endlessly until their perfect.
He didn't pick it up like that, though. He doesn't want the monstrous task of handling MAME, he just wanted to add VM.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Even still, his work ethic is admirable.

For CPS / Capcom / Neo Geo use Kawaks - which is for the best as you can free up more space on your DVD-R (if like me you burn to disc) for MAME.

Someone hasn't been keeping up. FBAXXX makes Kawaks pretty much obsolete.

Gyruss

You got not sound for the outfoxies too ? Too bad, it looked nice : /

R.Belmont is currently working on the Namco sound chips.
It's similar to what Razoola had to do to get the CPS2 games decrypted, so there's no telling when we'll see real progress.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"You got not sound for the outfoxies too ? Too bad, it looked nice : /
Yeah, there's no sound emulation for it yet."

*strokes PCB*

"You did a great job... Mr Smith... your next target...."

Absolutely FANTASTIC game - one on one Rolling thunder with shed loads of weaponary and fantastic stages that change over time.

The Water arena and plane especially are awesome.

Izzy

Banned
You get no sound for the most of Toaplan's games, either.

Off the top of my head:

Tatsujin Oh 1&2
Thunder Cross 1&2
V-Five
Flying Shark
Fire Shark
Terra Cresta
Terra Force
Slap Fight
Batsugun
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Andros Dunos

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
aku:jiki said:
I have way too many MAME favorites. I'll just take some off the top of my head...

vLogic_Pro.png
xLogic_Pro.png

(Yeah, aren't you guys excited? It's fun, promise!)

Hells, yes, Logic Pro. Anything Picross related is instantly good.

And then there's...

1050942802.jpg
1050942845.jpg

We'll show you the best events!

Whimsical Phil

You are a good man.

(Didn't see that Numan before. Gonna have to check it out!)

Numan is the best Track & Field style game ever made. The emulation isn't perfect on MAME, sadly, but a not-quite-perfect Numan is better than no Numan at all.

And, of course, you'll end up bashing the hell out of your keyboard...this is a full-on button masher

amrum

You got taste aku:jiki, i'm enjoying Tetris plus 2 & Elevator action returns !
Give us more games advices ! :D

Damn, Hot Rod has been emulated? That's one of my favorite racing games EVER. Still remember the days of playing the 4P model in the Aladdin's Castle at the nearby mall.

Does Aladdin's Castle even exist anymore?!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You are a good man.

(Didn't see that Numan before. Gonna have to check it out!)

how the hell do you play logic pro? I played it last night but the instructions are all in not english.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Land Maker is a truly overlooked good puzzle game. The graphics are great too, for a puzzle game. Basically instead of making blocks, you build these elaborate houses that become bigger the more blocks you add before busting it, all the way up to a giant castle:

land0004.jpg

amrum said:
You got taste aku:jiki
You better believe it! ;)

catfish said:
how the hell do you play logic pro?
That's a tough one. I'm sure there are guides, but I'm too lazy to look, so I'll try to explain it...

To the left and above the playfield are a bunch of numbers, right? Well, they tell you how many blocks in each row or column there are, and how many stick together.

For example, if X are filled in blocks and o are empty blocks:

Code:
     5 4 3 2 1
5 X X X X X
4 X X X X o
3 X X X o o
2 X X o o o
1 X o o o o
Does that help?

(Bah, the code won't let me do spaces on the "above" row, but I think you can see what I mean...)

Whimsical Phil

catfish said:
how the hell do you play logic pro? I played it last night but the instructions are all in not english.

Logic Pro is a picross game (see Mario's Picross for Game Boy). Here's a link that explains how to play. It's a bit tricky to understand the rules at first, but once you get the hang of it, picross is a terrific logic game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Whimsical Phil said:
Logic Pro is a picross game (see Mario's Picross for Game Boy). Here's a link that explains how to play. It's a bit tricky to understand the rules at first, but once you get the hang of it, picross is a terrific logic game.

Aw sweet, just completed th easy one. Hardest bit is starting I reckon.

The screens for Land Maker look just like the Arcade mode option in Builder's Block for PSX. I wonder if it is the same game. It also included a single player puzzle mode that was quite good. Pity that the game was a bargain release and almost totally overlooked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Diomedeskun said:
The screens for Land Maker look just like the Arcade mode option in Builder's Block for PSX. I wonder if it is the same game. It also included a single player puzzle mode that was quite good. Pity that the game was a bargain release and almost totally overlooked.

Haha... well I'll be damned, it is. That's what I get for never owning a PSX.

Builder's Block? What a cruddy name change.

AstroLad said:
Haha... well I'll be damned, it is. That's what I get for never owning a PSX.

Builder's Block? What a cruddy name change.
I have the PAL version, which keeps the original name.

It's a terrible port, though. I couldn't stand the additional "puzzle" mode for longer than a few minutes, and the original arcade game was shoddily ported and, well, not really that fun in the long run. :(

Edit: This reminds me of another MAME one I like, with (with some imagination) slightly similar gameplay to Landmaker; Puzzle de Bowling.

pzlbowl.png
pzlbowl-05.png

COCKLES

being watched
DaCocoBrova said:
Even still, his work ethic is admirable.

Someone hasn't been keeping up. FBAXXX makes Kawaks pretty much obsolete.

Does it...damn so little time, so many emulators. :(

I've been playing the ZX Spectrum one endlessly over last few days.

MANIC MINER AHOY!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have the PAL version, which keeps the original name.

It's a terrible port, though. I couldn't stand the additional "puzzle" mode for longer than a few minutes, and the original arcade game was shoddily ported and, well, not really that fun in the long run. :(

Edit: This reminds me of another MAME one I like, with (with some imagination) slightly similar gameplay to Landmaker; Puzzle de Bowling.

pzlbowl.png
pzlbowl-05.png

I played a few rounds of it, but I just didn't really "get" what the challenge was supposed to be. Is it just basically Puzzle de Pon, b/c it seemed almost too easy (granted it was only the first few levels).

I love Puzzle de Pon though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I've been playing the ZX Spectrum one endlessly over last few days."

the thing that gets me now is that, even though i'd spend hours upon end digging the speccy, almost all the games are utter shite.

Except :
Manic Miner
JSW
Jet Pac
Knightlore
Sabre Wolf
Underwurlde
Head over Heels

Great to play on the GBA though.

neptunes

since were all in this thread and this is the 2nd time asking this.

how do I get neo geo roms to show up in mame3k, my cps ones work and they're in the same folder :mad:

problem.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just as a tip, this little $16 device has made MAME great for me; it lets you plug in 4 PS2 controllers at once into one USB and works like a charm.

PA.02930.001.jpg

Neptunes-

You have neo-geo.zip right?

neptunes

yes I do, most of my roms already work in Kawaks which requires the neo-geo bios to be zipped (which I already have)

and this is what I use for kawaks

5810257l.jpg

:D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
neptunes said:
yes I do, most of my roms already work in Kawaks which requires the neo-geo bios to be zipped (which I already have)

5810257l.jpg

Sometimes I ride the train across the country on vacation and it's priceless to see people's faces when they see me playing something like, say, Darkstalkers or Metal Slug on my PC w/ a PS2 controller.

Can't help you with your roms problem other than maybe you should try to dl another rom and see if that works (probably won't, but who knows).

nitewulf

neptunes said:
since were all in this thread and this is the 2nd time asking this.

how do I get neo geo roms to show up in mame3k, my cps ones work and they're in the same folder :mad:

problem.jpg

you need these files,

neo-geo.rom
ng-lo.rom
ng-sfix.rom
ng-sm1.rom

included IN your zip files. neorage worked if you just had the files in your rom directory.

Ecrofirt

Xport really is the king of Xbox emulation.

He'll release three or four updates to an emulator a week if there's bugs.

neptunes

nitewulf said:
you need these files,

neo-geo.rom
ng-lo.rom
ng-sfix.rom
ng-sm1.rom

included IN your zip files. neorage worked if you just had the files in your rom directory.

Thank you for the response :D

so I have to put those files in ever neo-geo rom .zip game?

nitewulf

yep. even then, they might not show up in the "available" folder, so seek them out from all games (like what the shadow did) and try them.

neptunes said:

5810257l.jpg

I got one of these too. Works fantastic with Mame. But I ordered a full blown arcade stick. Should be arriving any day now :D

I'll probably use the adapter for playing emu's on the laptop.

Top Bottom