• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any good mods on the Stalker series?

Trying to get into this series before 2 drops. I just bought Shadow of Chernobyl on PC. Obviously, these are old games. I was wondering if there were any good graphics or texture mods to make a it look a bit more up to date

I'm also open to other quality mods. I know about Anomaly, and I'll try that in the future, but I want to get my feet wet first.

Gp1

Even with Anomaly not being recommend for the first time in the zone...

Go with Anomaly and save the hassle.

Stalker has a bunch of interesting mods (coc, good old stalker, lost alpha, misery etc.) but Anomaly streamlined and (somewhat) bug free approach, the map of 3 games working together, and the "modability" makes it the easiest one to recommend.

Even with Anomaly not being recommend for the first time in the zone...

Go with Anomaly and save the hassle.

Stalker has a bunch of interesting mods (coc, good old stalker, lost alpha, misery etc.) but Anomaly streamlined and (somewhat) bug free approach, the map of 3 games working together, and the "modability" makes it the easiest one to recommend.
Any good tip videos on how to do this? Can I play it in any of the games?

Gp1

Any good tip videos on how to do this? Can I play it in any of the games?

Anomaly is standalone. Just download and install, you don't even need the base games.

And you can mod the mod (GAMMA, Escape from prypiat, etc). but that i'll leave it to you.

Anomaly is standalone. Just download and install, you don't even need the base games.

And you can mod the mod (GAMMA, Escape from prypiat, etc). but that i'll leave it to you.
Thanks so much

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Just to warn you, STALKER Anomaly is not the original STALKER games. It's a game on it's own right that combines the mechanics and maps of the original games to create a "do whatever you want" kind of RPG.

If you want to experience the original games, it's not the way to go.
I've just finished to replay Shadow of Tchernobyl and I'm very interested in the graphic update of GAMA to play Call of Pripyat, is there any ways to get all the shinny stuff on the vanilla game (story side)?

Just to warn you, STALKER Anomaly is not the original STALKER games. It's a game on it's own right that combines the mechanics and maps of the original games to create a "do whatever you want" kind of RPG.

If you want to experience the original games, it's not the way to go.
So there's not missions in anomaly? Also, same question as guy above me.

Guilty_AI

So there's not missions in anomaly?
There are but they're kind like side-quests. There are some "storylines" you can access in the game, but they're more like bigger side-quests rather than a main story.

Also, same question as guy above me.
I've just finished to replay Shadow of Tchernobyl and I'm very interested in the graphic update of GAMA to play Call of Pripyat, is there any ways to get all the shinny stuff on the vanilla game (story side)?
Not sure, but Anomaly uses an upgraded version of the game's original engines so i don't think you'd find many compatible mods. I'm fairly new at STALKER modding scene and i rarely use graphics mods to begin with, so i can't pinpoint any specific good ones.

There are but they're kind like side-quests. There are some "storylines" you can access in the game, but they're more like bigger side-quests rather than a main story.

Not sure, but Anomaly uses an upgraded version of the game's original engines so i don't think you'd find many compatible mods. I'm fairly new at STALKER modding scene and i rarely use graphics mods to begin with, so i can't pinpoint any specific good ones.
That said, do you think I should start out with the main games instead of anomaly?

Guilty_AI

That said, do you think I should start out with the main games instead of anomaly?
I mean, if what you want is to "play the original STALKER games", naturally. Like i said, Anomaly is a different game altogether made by fans, i'd only start with it if you really dig the idea of a "go on your own adventure" type of game.

I mean, if what you want is to "play the original STALKER games", naturally. Like i said, Anomaly is a different game altogether made by fans, i'd only start with it if you really dig the idea of a "go on your own adventure" type of game.
Yeah tough choice. Before I got my PC I had bought the trilogy on Xbox and started playing it. It felt very confusing and kind of already like a choose your own adventure. That's another reason why I want to get into these because I know stalker too will be much the same. I need to understand the mechanics

Guilty_AI

Yeah tough choice. Before I got my PC I had bought the trilogy on Xbox and started playing it. It felt very confusing and kind of already like a choose your own adventure. That's another reason why I want to get into these because I know stalker too will be much the same. I need to understand the mechanics
Just start with Shadow of Chernobyl since its the very first one, apply some bugfixes (like the one i posted earlier) and then sit down with the game and try to slowly learn what its about. It's basically a RPG without the typical stats/levels RPG progression systems, it's naturally something you need to give some time.

Last edited:
Just start with Shadow of Chernobyl since its the very first one, apply some bugfixes (like the one i posted earlier) and then sit down with the game and try to slowly learn what its about. It's basically a RPG without the typical stats/levels RPG progression systems, it's naturally something you need to give some time.
Thanks for the info

Bry0

Autumn aurora is a good graphics and weapons mod for SoC. It changes the vibe of the game a bit but retains all the original story and such. Mostly a visual overhaul.

Anomaly is cool but as mentioned, if you want to experience the story then no anomaly is not it. Think of it as a hardcore free roam endgame for when you beat the original trilogy and want to just immerse yourself and create your own story after.

Gp1

Anomaly "main" story quest somewhat retraces the first game story quest passing by location of the 3 first games. + a bunch of side quest, great open world improvements, QOL, better graphics, etc.

In SoC (first game), you wake after a storm without memory with a pda message saying "find Strelok". So your main quest is find Strelok get to the center of the zone, with a really interesting narrative plot twist.

In Anomaly you still have a quest to find Strelok and get to the center of the zone. But as a sequel, and without the interesting narrative twist.

It's hard to explain without spoil too much. I like to say that Anomaly is the Stalker game as we remember a Stalker game with all the nostalgia blur. But IMHO the main part is the "new engine" that is way more stable and modable than the first 3 games.

It's something like OG doom vs Brutal Doom, but Anomaly being way closer to OG Stalker than Brutal Doom is to OG Doom. And OG Doom, in our case, is a technical trainwreck even by 2007 PC standards.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Some shots of my modded playthrough of Shadow of Chernobyl. Almost finished it (I'm at Pripyat) and damn the game is getting very hard.

tGrppmL.jpeg
2UfDBIS.jpeg
cr2lTp7.jpeg
2UfDBIS.jpeg
S2s6I2Q.jpeg
akEoHkZ.jpeg

Can't wait to start Call of Pripyat, I'm skipping Clear Sky because I still have trauma with how buggy it was lol.

Some shots of my modded playthrough of Shadow of Chernobyl. Almost finished it (I'm at Pripyat) and damn the game is getting very hard.

tGrppmL.jpeg
2UfDBIS.jpeg
cr2lTp7.jpeg
2UfDBIS.jpeg
S2s6I2Q.jpeg
akEoHkZ.jpeg

Can't wait to start Call of Pripyat, I'm skipping Clear Sky because I still have trauma with how buggy it was lol.
I am so happy I got autumn anomaly to work in my English dub. It is one of the best FPS I've ever played with that mod. What do you use here?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I am so happy I got autumn anomaly to work in my English dub. It is one of the best FPS I've ever played with that mod. What do you use here?
Yeah Anomaly seems awesome, too bad the main story can't be played but I will most likely give it a go after playing CoP. I can't stop watching videos of this mod haha.

I used ZRP, better buildings/weapons textures, some stuff for the vegetation, an ENB I tweaked myself and maybe a few other I don't remember, I wanted to add more mods but everything else I tried turned the game in full English. And since I'm French it was a bit annoying even if I understand it well.
I'm not home anymore but I will add the links tomorrow if you want!

Also I watched the few trailers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 again since the first game is fresh in my mind now, and I just can't wait to play it. It does feels like they've been very respectful of the IP.

Yeah Anomaly seems awesome, too bad the main story can't be played but I will most likely give it a go after playing CoP. I can't stop watching videos of this mod haha.

I used ZRP, better buildings/weapons textures, some stuff for the vegetation, an ENB I tweaked myself and maybe a few other I don't remember, I wanted to add more mods but everything else I tried turned the game in full English. And since I'm French it was a bit annoying even if I understand it well.

Also I watched the few trailers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 again since the first game is fresh in my mind now, and I just can't wait to play it. It does feels like they've been very respectful of the IP.
Actually this is called autumn anomaly. It's a big graphics mod for stalker shadow of chernobyl. I was excited to find it because it really bumps up the graphics. And I still get to play these great single player missions. I can't wait to try all three games and then stalker two

Do you have the specific mods and enb used? I'd love to add them

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Do you have the specific mods and enb used? I'd love to add them
Sure, here is the mods:

ZRP: https://www.metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/index.html

And I think that's it

Trilobit

I think I bought some Metro games thinking they were Stalker. I was a bit disappointed by how linear they felt. How is Stalker compared to Metro as a game?

I think I bought some Metro games thinking they were Stalker. I was a bit disappointed by how linear they felt. How is Stalker compared to Metro as a game?
If you're able to mod it to make it look more up to date it blows it out of the water. It feels more real and immersive than metro. People swear by metro but it felt very video gamey
Sure, here is the mods:

ZRP: https://www.metacognix.com/files/stlkrsoc/index.html

And I think that's it
You rock

Top Bottom