• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Sega Ages VF2 impressions?

EAJAPAN

I placed my order for the game yesterday, but I'm interested in the thoughts of anyone who has picked it up, particularly in light of Sho Nuff's underwhelming TGS impressions.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
It's only 10am in Japan right now, and the game is supposedly out today. I'm going to pick it up today, but I won't be able to post impressions until later. :(

Sho Nuff

Banned
I preordered this at Bic Camera so I could get the special VF Maniax book. It will probably turn out to be crappy or something. (Cries) I hope they fixed it up from the shitty TGS version, but I doubt it (the sign read 100% complete).

Sho Nuff

Banned
I got it.

The frame drops are regular, it's like it's subtracting half a frame every second to make it identical to the arcade's 57hz sync rate (or whatever). Note that Saturn ran at 60fps. (or 59.97, whatever)

The character select textures are all fucked up and low res.

The game defaults to model 2 res so the game runs in a smaller box (wtf) and is cropped on all sides. You can change it to fullscreen from the option menu though.

The textures are slightly misaligned on the first stage. The game is also slightly on the dark side, turn up your brightness. Aside from that, I think geometry and texture are the same.

Oh, and it comes with an ad for Virtua Fighter Cyber Generations in the package, so I feel that cheapens the game even more ;)

BTW, the freebie book that comes with it sucks dong. Don't bother.

EAJAPAN

Bloody hell, Sega.

But $50 AUD....no huge loss I think.

Sho - how much better than the Saturn version is it?

Sho Nuff

Banned
The attract mode is playing on my TV now and I'm noticing decreased texture resolution on the floors and in the backgrounds and on the character faces. Jeffry's stomach also looks wrong, like the polys are rotated 45-degrees to make a diamond pattern instead of a square pattern...

Saturn version:
+Tourney modes and more options and gameplay modes in general
+Locked 60fps
-Crappy looking 2D backgrounds

PS2 version
+Higher polycount on the characters, but not sure if original geometry, kind of weird looking
+3D backgrounds! OMG
-Badly textured 3D backgrounds
-Weird frame drops
-Lighting seems off (I'm not talking about "hardcore shading", it just looks wrong)

SEGA YOU SUCK! Worst of all, AM2 did the conversion themselves. HEY FUCKTARDS, JUST STEAL SOME RENDERING CODE FROM VF4, YOU KNOW, THE ONE THAT ACTUALLY LOOKS GOOD!

edit: I'm reading the thread on 2ch and people are complaining not just about the shitty texture work and frame drops, but that the controls seem off by a few frames.

EAJAPAN

Cheers for the thoughts.

I don't think I'm going to regret dropping a 50 for this, but it's still disappointing that AM2 essentially dropped a wide open pass with this conversion. :/

edit: I'm reading the thread on 2ch and people are complaining not just about the shitty texture work and frame drops, but that the controls seem off by a few frames.

Link?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what the shit was the point of this port if they weren't going to get it right? and after all that fuss about HANDLING IT IN HOUSE and the ARCADE EXACT 57HZ REFRESH. fucking sega.

oh well. most of the differences sound subtle enough that i wouldn't notice them.

ge-man

FortNinety said:
Ummm... can you clarify which version is which?

Looking at those pics, my guess is that the bottom left TV is the Saturn version while the Set on top is the PS2. The bottom right should be the actual Model 2 version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
FortNinety said:
Ummm... can you clarify which version is which?

The top screen is the PS2 version, the bottom left is Saturn, the bottom right is Model 2, and the laptop is (obviously) the PC version.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"サターン版を10点、アーケード版を100点とすると、PS2版は83点くらいかな"

hmmmm.....

Anyways, i've bought every game in this stupid fucking series, and i can't justify it any more because almost all of the games are absolute garbage.

For an extra 2000 yen, i can buy the arcade version. Infact, that's what i intend to do this weekend.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:

So if the Saturn version is 10 points and the Arcade version is 100 points, the PS2 version comes in around 83 points? Interesting...

Seems he hasn't used his PS2 for a while either (and pulled the Saturn out of the attic :p). He also seems to think that the opponent AI is very similar between the PS2 and AC editions.

Sho Nuff

Banned
DCharlie said:

hmmmm.....

Anyways, i've bought every game in this stupid fucking series, and i can't justify it any more because almost all of the games are absolute garbage.

For an extra 2000 yen, i can buy the arcade version. Infact, that's what i intend to do this weekend.

You don't like VF!? Oh come on, it's easy, just do PPPK, PPPK

ProTip: Try PPP D+K

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
lol - i like the arbitary feel of "83 points"....

ding.jpg

"Ding Dong.... My little cherub, last night was naughty and i do declare that I like you , you hot little thing... i'll give you *rubs chin* 83 points!"

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The Saturn version of Virtua Fighter 2 was remarkably faithful for the 32/64 bit generation and the Dreamcast version of Virtua Fighter 3 was a close technical match and better in some ways, but arcade purists value faithfulness and find dissatisfaction when reproductions are not exact.

Top Bottom