• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 3 (Dreamcast "Super Early Version" vs PlayStation 2) - Gameplay Comparison

Man, it really is 23 years ago isn't it?
Yep, lol when i hear the radio stations memories come back.

I know. It's weird how I can still vividly remember seeing this commercial broadcast on TV for the first time:

I still consider this above ad to be one of the greatest game commercials of all time. Just using an operatic track and showing off random clips of the main OC doing whatever the player wanted within the confines of the game world was enough to get people hyped. It was like seeing that 'open world' dream game that every teenager dreamt about becoming a reality.

The first time I have ever heard about GTA3 was in the Official Dreamcast Magazine. At that time, Rockstar did port GTA2 to the Dreamcast as well as Wild Metal using WindowsCE. They were also working on an Austin Powers Kart Racer for the console, and Max Payne was also slated for the Dreamcast. Rockstar did have some interest in the console before Sega pulled the plug on it. Even before that, I did play GTA1 on the PS1.

I feel like before the TV adverts and such, GTA3 wasn't the most highly anticipated games for the PS2. It wasn't as hyped as something like MGS2. But once those adverts started appearing on TV. The hype went up. Though the original Vice City ads were even more hype.

Top Bottom