• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone do serious off-the-grid camping?

Just curious.

I'm heading to an island Thursday AM for a 5 day trip. Iodine tablets, MREs, 40lb backpack. Can't wait to see what the stars look like. Also looking forward to the 4 hour boat ride, always wanted to be "out to sea" so to speak.

Wildlife to be concerned about are wolves and moose. I'm more concerned with a bull moose than I am the wolves. Beaver fever too but iodine, water filter, and boiling should prevent it.

I will try to remember to share some photos when I return.

Camping is awesome. Been a while since I did some serious off the grid adventuring and this is by far my biggest one yet.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Haven't done it in awhile but used to do this a lot when I was younger with my friends. Takes a decent amount of kit if you don't want to be miserable, but is well worth it.
Also, I'm afraid there is no cure for 'beaver fever' so you might want to stock up on 'material' before you leave.

Ammogeddon

Good for you, you’ll love it. Nothing is better for the soul than switching off from day to day life.

Since thru hiking the West Highland Way last year I’ve made it my life’s mission to do one decent hike a year. Did the Tour du Mont Blanc last month and it was epic. Not sure what I’ll do next year, I’d like to do the GR20 in Corsica at some point though.

Doom85

Even as someone who is not the biggest supporter of carrying guns outside of your home, if you’re camping in a remote site, stay armed. If not a gun, at least a good knife. You (even with friends) might be all alone out there with no one help to you if you are unfortunate enough to run into something or someone(s) with ill intent. A robber, someone crazy enough to think you’re on “their property” even if it isn’t, a murderer, you name it.

I know that might sound paranoid, but I’ve watched enough Mr. Nightmare and Chilling Scares videos on camping or hiking in remote areas to realize what a potentially dangerous situation it is especially if someone manages to sneak up on your tent while you’re asleep. Sure, a lot of those stories are likely made up, but enough of them are probably for real (and I remember one video of a guy camping out alone in Britain who encountered a homeless guy and this seemed legit. The homeless guy was fine at first, and the camper happily shared food and beer with the guy and had a good conversation with him, but then at one point the camper merely was a few yards away getting firewood and realized the homeless guy had vanished without saying bye or thanking him. Starting to feel uneasy, the camper decided to leave but left a camera attached to a tree curious if the homeless guy would come back. The following morning, the camper returned to find the camera gone. Good instincts likely saved him there).

For real, don’t let the above spoil your fun. You’ll most likely be fine, just bring the necessary precautions and tell someone you know where you’ll be before heading there. Hope you have fun, and get some good stargazing!

Even as someone who is not the biggest supporter of carrying guns outside of your home, if you’re camping in a remote site, stay armed. If not a gun, at least a good knife. You (even with friends) might be all alone out there with no one help to you if you are unfortunate enough to run into something or someone(s) with ill intent. A robber, someone crazy enough to think you’re on “their property” even if it isn’t, a murderer, you name it.

I know that might sound paranoid, but I’ve watched enough Mr. Nightmare and Chilling Scares videos on camping or hiking in remote areas to realize what a potentially dangerous situation it is especially if someone manages to sneak up on your tent while you’re asleep. Sure, a lot of those stories are likely made up, but enough of them are probably for real (and I remember one video of a guy camping out alone in Britain who encountered a homeless guy and this seemed legit. The homeless guy was fine at first, and the camper happily shared food and beer with the guy and had a good conversation with him, but then at one point the camper merely was a few yards away getting firewood and realized the homeless guy had vanished without saying bye or thanking him. Starting to feel uneasy, the camper decided to leave but left a camera attached to a tree curious if the homeless guy would come back. The following morning, the camper returned to find the camera gone. Good instincts likely saved him there).

For real, don’t let the above spoil your fun. You’ll most likely be fine, just bring the necessary precautions and tell someone you know where you’ll be before heading there. Hope you have fun, and get some good stargazing!
For sure, I hear you. No fire arms allowed where I'm going, it's federal land. I got a few sharp and blunt objects to swing erratically if something goes bad but it should be pretty chill. However, a 37 yo female hiker died there just a few days ago but likely some kind of allergic reaction based on what the news said. The area I live in has great geography, nothing too wild but big enough to die if you don't respect it. It's a shame because I've done so many hikes and backwoods camping up here, never had an issue but the college kids who aren't from the area don't respect it and either fall to their death or drown in the lake. I'm on the shores of Lake Superior. That lake is not to be taken lightly.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Every bear area I've camped was resolved by hanging ALL FOOD away from camp.

Would love to get that far away now. Just to be away from all the EM radiation we are bathed in, all the noise of civilization. To just sit and feel that absence would be nice.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Los Angeles Drama GIF by ABC Network

Rival

Gold Member
I’d take Bear Spray even if there aren’t bears. It would probably work well for wolves and moose. The extent of my outdoing career was spent tenting in my backyard with my buddies as a kid. Pretty sure each time I tried I ended up inside in my bed before the night was over. I LOVE that show Alone though.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Just curious.

I'm heading to an island Thursday AM for a 5 day trip. Iodine tablets, MREs, 40lb backpack. Can't wait to see what the stars look like. Also looking forward to the 4 hour boat ride, always wanted to be "out to sea" so to speak.

While you're visiting Great Britain, take the chance to visit some nice old pubs. Good choice with the MREs. British cuisine isn't something one craves.

Last edited:

ssringo

Back in the 90s me and my Dad used to head up into the Appalachian Mountains and camp out for a week. Would find a decent place to park the truck and then would follow a stream for a while until we found a good spot. Brought some basic camping gear and foodstuff but largely caught and cooked our own meals. Would spend a week with no contact other than the wildlife. Great times!

Myths

Didn't quite camp the other week but plenty of wilderness designated areas in Central California where you basically need a Garmin/PLB1 (in some cases the iPhone 14 and newer have satellite).

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

A coworker shared a story about this once. He was camping with his family out in some popular camping ground. Some guy who probably had PTSD or was just crazy started shouting in the middle of the night that everyone was "invading his territory" or some such. Fired some shots in the air.

The shooting drew the attention of the park rangers. They came in with rifles and a bunch of cops, arrested the guy. But imagine if it was some really remote area without rangers in earshot. Could have turned out really bad.

Tams

Good for you, you’ll love it. Nothing is better for the soul than switching off from day to day life.

Since thru hiking the West Highland Way last year I’ve made it my life’s mission to do one decent hike a year. Did the Tour du Mont Blanc last month and it was epic. Not sure what I’ll do next year, I’d like to do the GR20 in Corsica at some point though.

I did the GR20 when I was 16. Fantastic! Be prepared for the Frenchies pretty much trailrunning it though.

Top Bottom