• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone got some good anime MOVIE recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I only want recommendations for movies.. no series or movies that originated form series. I've seen pretty much all of Miyazaki's movies so recommdendations for his movies and unneeded since I already know his movies kick ass.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I should have asked for a breif rundown of these movies.. sigh.. haha. I've seen Jin-Roh in my video rental place.. always wanted to rent it.. I'll probably give it a try.

"Memories" is pretty good. It's a set of 3 short films by different directors.

"Magnetic Rose" is a piece about 2 men who investigate a distress signal. It has some beautiful imagery and an interesting plot.

"Stink Bomb" is about a chemist who accidentally makes himself into living biological weapon. This is a rather comical piece.

"Cannon Fodder" is about the lives of a group of people who live each day to fire cannons at a non-existant enemy.

I enjoyed Magnetic Rose and Stink Bomb, but didn't think too much of Cannon Fodder..
It's distributed by Columbia-Tristar so you may be able to find it in your local rental store.

Teddman

I also greatly prefer anime features to TV series.

Ninja Scroll
-Classic action anime, ninjas vs. demons.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
-Like Van Helsing, but actually good. Think Castlevania SOTN or the Blade movies, a vampire hunts vampires. Also see the original.

Perfect Blue
-A J-Pop star is being stalked. Good Hitchcock style psycho-mystery.

Millenium Actress
-Fictional biopic of a famous Japanese actress, told through eyes of two quirky documentary filmmakers.

Metropolis
-Big city anime, rebels rally against an evil empire type plot.

Tokyo Godfathers
-"Three Homeless Men and a Baby" Funny drama set during Xmas.

Jin Roh
-Sometimes slow (with spikes of action) moralistic study of a shock trooper doing deeds he knows are evil.

Spriggan
-Very good 1st half to this action anime about a secret military operative who is a pint-sized Rambo. Falls apart later on...

Akira
-The classic cyberpunk-style anime about a genetic mutation accident that threatens to destroy a big city.

Ghost in the Shell
-A female Robocop combats criminals and a "virus" spreading through robots in this futuristic action anime.

Blood: The Last Vampire
-Short but sweet twist on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

FnordChan

Hitman said:
I only want recommendations for movies.

Tedman hit most of the big features and Solidsnake beat me to the Satoshi Kon love-in. I'll throw in a few of my own comments:

Perfect Blue - Kon's first flick, a Hitchcockian thriller about an actress whose sense of reality begins to break down as she's being stalked. Quite creepy, very effective, and one hell of a first film.

Millennium Actress - Kon's second feature is about an actress and shifting reality in an entirely different way. It's a love letter to Japanese cinema from the mid-30s through the mid-60s, replacing the psychological horror of Perfect Blue with the warmth of a Ghibli film and a generous dose of humor. I adore this film, not least for Susumu Hirasawa's soundtrack.

Tokyo Godfathers - Kon's latest is a riff on 3 Godfathers; the Western outlaws are replaced by the Eastern homeless, but they still find a baby and do their best to take care of it. This is a tremendously entertaining Christmas movie, with terrific characters, plenty of heart, and a few moments of pure fantasy.

Roujin Z - Katsuhiro Otomo will forever be known best for Akira (which, flawed as it may be, is a bona fide cyberpunk classic and required viewing for anyone interested in anime), but don't let it overshadow his other films. Roujin Z is a personal favorite, a quirky bit of social satire about the aging population of Japan and cybernetic beds gone sentient gone amok. It's a bizzare treat that escalates over the course of the film from the quiet plight of the elderly to complete insanity.

Memories - Otomo returns with this anthology title based on three of his short stories. The first, "Magnetic Rose", is a haunting, lovely bit of science fiction involving a salvage crew in outer space and a particularly dangerous find. The next short, "Stink Bomb", is a blackly comedic, madcap adventure about pharmaceuticals gone awry. "Cannon Fodder" (the only sequence directed by Otomo) wraps it all up with a parable about warfare, presented in a style almost like a European comic book. You'll like some of these segments more than others (exactly which you'll prefer is strictly a matter of taste), but will definately enjoy the film overall.

They Were 11 - Hard science fiction meets mystery, all infused with the shoujo manga (women's comics) sensibilites of creator Moto Hagio; the end result has the 70s, gender SF vibe of, say, Ursula K. LeGuin. As part of the rigorous entrance exams to the prestigious Cosmo Academy, applicants have to undergo a practical, hands-on test: a group of ten students must work together to survive for a month on a derilict spaceship. However, confusion and paranoia break out the moment they arrive and realize there are eleven students on board. This is a tad dated, but has a lot going for it and is an excellent change of pace.

And, those are enough recommendations for the time being.

FnordChan

Mugen

Banned
holy shit we always have this anime recommendations thread, we should have ONE thread specifically for recomendations only.

I recommend My Neighbour Totoro.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Since Miyazaki is not really needed, I, too, will say watch anything by Satoshi Kon. You can always expect it to be a bit warped but awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom