• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here play Imperator: Rome? (Looking for a good Roman strategy game aside Rome: Total War)

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it any good? Steam reviews are all over the place. Game is currently 70% off on Steam, if that makes a difference.

geary

Imperator: Rome was the game Paradox put on hold for updates to relocate resources to CK3. EU4, Stellaris and HoI keep getting updates and this was stopped. The last update they did changed a lot of mechanics and wasnt well received.

If you want a roman themed game, i recommend Expeditions: Rome, a decent tactical role-playing game.

Or if you want strategy, try TW:Rome2 with Divide & Impera mod.
Also, Field of Glory 2 would be an alternative.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Might want to check out Praetorians (got an HD remaster not long ago) or the Imperivm games.

Last edited:

MHubert

If played with the Invictus mod, I would definitely recommend it at that price. Paradox more or less abandoned development, but they did an update a while back because of a strong voice from a small but enduring core community. Haven't played since the update, though, but said community keeps on updating the mod. I put about 300 hours into it and have no regrets buying it at full price.

Hudo

Is it any good? Steam reviews are all over the place. Game is currently 70% off on Steam, if that makes a difference.

it had flaws and huge potential but got abandoned by Paradox pretty quickly when they realized that they had to put in additional effort instead of selling DLCs.

Don't give your money to Paradox.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Yes. It's not a great Paradox title. Certainly no where near HOI4 or Crusader Kings 3. I take it you've played a paradox title before? If not, they're totally different to Total War. Paradox titles are very complex and Imperator has a very steep learning curve. Also, there are no real time battles in Paradox titles. If you love the real time battles of Total War (and who doesn't?), then you might find this game hard to get into.

If you want a Roman Strategy game, Rome Total War: Remastered (it includes the expansions Barbarian Invasion and Alexander), or Rome 2: Total War are all you need.

I've only played EU4 (and some CK3) but did look into this title in the past. It's one of the least popular Paradox strategy games. It had potential, but was abandoned by the devs quickly so it hasn't had the time and care necessary to mature as their other titles. But as I understand it, it's still a fun game and it's more affordable. I would suggest buying the bundle with all the DLC though.

If this type of grand strategy game interests you, and you don't want to spend a whole lot and if you happen to like Roman stuff, I don't think you can go wrong for such a low price.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was excited for this, but the launch was miserable. They apparently overhauled it but it’s still not good enough.

As others have pointed out there are way better options if you want Rome and there are way better options if you want Paradox strategy. It’s probably the worst Paradox release.

Last edited:

This game took me by complete surprise. It’s great. Not a strategy game tho.
This game is super fun. It's a story/character driven tactical rpg.

For strategy, Rome total war or the remaster. Rome 2 I wasn't a fan of. Attila total war is the fall of the empire.

City builders plus, I'd go with Caesar 3 and 4, civ city Rome and grand ages Rome. All are a bit different. Caesar 3 is old school 2d with a set mechanic, and large cities, casaer 4 is 3d but limited space in some missions but much easier to get into. Grand ages is more complicated and has other management and strategy elements. Civ city is firaxis doing a city/empirr builder, was fun from what I remember.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Kinda amazed how few high quality strategy games there are about the Roman empire, I thought there would be 20 amazing titles to choose from but in reality it's actually pretty dire.

geary

I'm waiting for next Anno game, Anno 117: Pax Romana... Hope to get a release date this year...

Last edited:
Top Bottom