• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone into online manager games?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I've never touched a management game before, apart from the management part in Pro Evolution Soccer 3 master league mode. I thought they looked incredibly boring, nothing but numbers and names and no real game attached.

Then I heard about management games online (through the webbrowser), where you have your own team playing against teams made by other players all over the world. One day during this summer, a friend of mine at work had started playing a football (as in soccer) manager game online. And day after day, he tried to convince me to start too. After a couple of weeks I decided to at least try it.

Now, the good thing about these "games" is that you don't really have to manage your team every day. Sometimes I can sit for an hour setting things up for the next game, then I'll just forget about it for a few days only to come back and see some results and stuff.

You buy and sell players, select their training, hire new coaches to train them, improve your stadium, set up practice games, select tactics and formations and so on. It's really fun to see how your team is shaping up, climbing towards the top league along with, right now, 437000+ other teams from all over the world. The fact that every team is managed by a real person makes it all the more interesting. You also have national teams playing against each other. You can also play in official cups and actually win real prizes. I guess that kind of motivates me too. :D

Also, when it comes to the particular online management game I got myself involved in, it includes some cool additions compared to many other popular online management games. You can actually watch your games being played in real-time if you want. There's the simple, overhead view, but it doesn't compare to the big draw:
a full 3D version with surprisingly decent graphics, and you have full control over the camera view. You can also watch older games, of course. Even with sound included, all done with java. It's pretty impressive, although I usually forget to watch the games. I guess it may sound boring to just watch, but a game only last for 15 mins so it's not that bad.

The game I'm playing is called Manager Zone, and can be found at http://www.managerzone.com .

They recently started an online manager with Ice Hockey too (haven't tried it myself though), and next year racing will be available. Don't know how it'll work, but it sounds pretty intriguing to me. Gran Turismo 4 B-Spec, look out!! :p

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Try Eastside Hockey if you want a proper hockey management sim. NHL, junior, major junior, European leagues, nutty stuff man. And of course, there's always Extreme Warfare Revenge (now called something else) for the wrestling booker in you.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
bishoptl said:
Try Eastside Hockey if you want a proper hockey management sim. NHL, junior, major junior, European leagues, nutty stuff man. And of course, there's always Extreme Warfare Revenge (now called something else) for the wrestling booker in you.

Yeah, but are they simple to use, like web-based? That's one of the main draws for me. Since I can check up on it anytime as long as a computer is near, very convinient and well, free. :p

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Um, nope. But you can find early freeware versions of EWR floating around, so theoretically you could just install it on every PC you ever come in contact with. :p

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
whatifsports.com is pretty cool, and it has baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. There's some people on there who take it really seriously.

I love text-based sports sims. I've played Champinship Manager, Front Office Football, FOF: The College Years, and Out of the Park Baseball. Championship Manager is great, although it pretty much took over my life for a few months.

Top Bottom