• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex Legends now adding two Season Passes that can only be purchased with money - Players criticise plans

Draugoth

Gold Member
They just walked it back, lol.

Draugoth Draugoth You can put this update in the OP.

GTRG2qCaYAUDmq7

Starting with Season 22, there will be two $10 Battle Passes per season rather than one, and players will no longer be able to use earned virtual currency (Apex Coins) to acquire them – a decision that was “not one that we made lightly”, EA said on Monday. As it stands, Season 21’s Battle Pass can be purchased for 950 Apex Coins. The Battle Pass runs for the whole season and has 110 levels.

While it normally costs $9.99/£8.99 to purchase 1,000 Apex Coins with real money, players can earn some Apex Coins as rewards from a season’s Battle Pass, and these could previously be put towards future ones. Going forward, each season will offer two Battle Passes, one for each split, with each priced at $9.99 in real world currency and including 60 levels.

In a blog post detailing the changes, EA claimed the shake-up will offer greater value for players and reduce the time needed to unlock high-end items.

Going on social media reactions to the announcement, the move is being overwhelmingly criticised by players, with many suggesting it’s just a cynical attempt to fleece consumers in the face of diminishing returns for the free-to-play game, which launched in February 2019.

“Massive L,” one X user wrote in response to today’s news.

“Can no longer purchase with Apex coins and there are 2 battle passes per season. Basically just doubled the price of the battle pass AND doesn’t allow you to purchase future battle passes with Apex coins from the current. Arguably biggest L I’ve seen in Apex to date.

“I wanna follow up and say I don’t say this lightly. This is Respawn attempting to milk out the last bit of the remaining loyal playerbase. As a battle pass holder from S1-current, I won’t be purchasing S22. This is a telling sign to me the game is on the decline. Dramatic maybe?”

“This seems like the only people this improves the experience for is the stock holders,”

said another player.

“I’m usually positive but this is just disappointing,”

wrote another fan.

“You have one of the best shooters at its core with an amazing community and yet you keep slowly killing it.

Source

Last edited:
I played 10 seasons of battle pass for only my initial $10 investment and never spent another dime. I'm sure they recovered more than enough cash through their ridiculously expensive event packs and such. They don't need to do this.

"we’re evolving the Apex Legends Battle Pass to improve your experience and progression goals"

This is suspiciously close to "pride and accomplishment".

Last edited:
Will continue to play until a better multiplayer shooter comes along. Which doesn’t ever seem to happen. Haven’t bought a battlepass in years, so I’m a shit customer.

I’d pay real money for a version with only the launch year characters and weapons, though.

Last edited:

Dancer_BV

The one justification for battle passes—being that buying one and fully utilizing it will provide the acquisition of future passes—has just been washed down the drain.

EA is nothing if not consistent.

Last edited:
sounds like a shit show.

I can see the switch to two battle passes, seems like a logical step in the corporate greed ladder. But removing the ability to buy them with in game currency is an extra step of greed that can’t be easily explained away.

It also says they’re locking cosmetics to the extra big ass “Premium+” model for one year. So it’s just a FOMO cash grab.

If you were paying $10 for the pass, now you get about half your worth out of that $10.

Barakov

EA : Apex Legends is one thing we have going for us. We should probably try to fuck it up.

Respawn : Say no more.

Top Bottom