• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Nicolas Winding Refn is directing a Maniac Cop TV series for HBO

maniac-cop.jpg

Was randomly reading Maniac Cop's Wikipedia page and I stumbled on this tidbit of information. Apparently Nicolas Winding Refn is going to be directing a Maniac Cop series for HBO.

He is one of my favorite directors currently doing work so I'm a bit surprised I missed this. I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about this, most articles are a few years old.

I know when a lot of people think of Refn they think of Drive, and that movie seems to be fairly polarizing, but IMO he has a pretty fucking amazing repertoire. His most recent work, Neon Demon, was probably my favorite movie of that year.

The Pusher films are pretty great too.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I know when a lot of people think of Refn they think of Drive, and that movie seems to be fairly polarizing, but IMO he has a pretty fucking amazing repertoire. His most recent work, Neon Demon, was probably my favorite movie of that year.

Drive wasn't polarizing, that was Only God Forgives. Drive's issue is that is was massively mis-marketed as an action movie.

That being said, Bronson is arguably his best work and doesn't get enough mention.

May watch this.

Drive wasn't polarizing, that was Only God Forgives. Drive's issue is that is was massively mis-marketed as an action movie.

That being said, Bronson is arguably his best work and doesn't get enough mention.

May watch this.
I haven't seen Bronson since it came out back in 2008. Might be time for a rewatch. Valhalla Rising is probably my favorite film by him but like I said I haven't seen Bronson in forever.

I thought Only God Forgives was mostly hated and Drive was fairly polarizing. What do I know tho.

For the record, I loved Only God Forgives.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hmmm, I'm gonna put money down on this being a single long tracking shot of just the cops face going about his daily beat as he slowly going MANIC!

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
This sounds interesting. Love his style. Drive is one of my favorite movies ever and something strange like this sounds right up his alley

You should check out the Pusher Trilogy, its his best movies, i bet your can find them with english subs these days.

Also i watched the show he did for Amazon Too old to die young, it was great until episode 7 or 8. then it shit the bed.

Last edited:
You should check out the Pusher Trilogy, its his best movies, i bet your can find them with english subs these days.

Also i watched the show he did for Amazon Too old to die young, it was great until episode 7 or 8. then it shit the bed.
I mention the Pusher movies in the OP, they’re great.

Haven’t watched his Amazon series yet, might check that out.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This is fantastic news. Dude hasn’t done much since Drive, but I’m thinking this is a good fit for him.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dude made like three movies and a tv show since Drive, but okay.

I can rephrase my comment so that it's more clear.

This is fantastic news. Dude hasn't done anything that I enjoyed since Drive, and if I'm to be honest, his recent efforts, especially The Neon Demon, have been pretty awful.

Last edited:
I like his style. I'm down for this. Big fan of the original trilogy, especially that intro track in 3. Shit is fire.
Edit: Sounds like something Jerry Goldsmith would have composed, just a little less epic.

Last edited:

mortal

Banned
Oh. So it's like his entire filmography outside of Drive 😆
I wouldn't say his entire filmography is divisive.

I don't believe the Pusher films are considered divisive. Those have more of a cult following due to being Danish films that most people haven't seen or heard of.
People only started saying this about him post-Drive because I think they expected all of his work to be as accessible as that film.
Although he's generally more "out there" compared to most other established directors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom